The Student Room Group

Integrate c4 help

Going in yr 13 trying to learn c3/c4 in advance. Stuck on c4 chpt 2 a bit help on this qs would be appreciated.

Find the integral of 1/(e^x+4e^(-x)) usong sub x=e^x and v=2tanv

Thanks in advance:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Econowizard
Going in yr 13 trying to learn c3/c4 in advance. Stuck on c4 chpt 2 a bit help on this qs would be appreciated.

Find the integral of 1/(e^x+4e^(-x)) usong sub x=e^x and v=2tanv

Thanks in advance:smile:

Hi, please post everything you've tried.
Are you sure you wrote out those substitution equations out right?
Yeah it's meant to be u=e^x then u=2tanv. You do the first substitution and then the second one and it works out quite nicely.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek

u=e^x, u=2tanv . Sorry my bad its late 😋😁
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by black1blade
Are you sure you wrote out those substitution equations out right?

u=tanv and u=e^x sorry my bad
u=e^x, u=2tanv . Sorry my bad its late 😋😁

Okay, so basically just let ex=2tan(v)e^x=2\tan(v). Also note that the inside of the integral is the same as ex(ex)2+4\frac{e^x}{(e^{x})^2+4}.

What's the issue?
Reply 7
15022340564261408039150.jpg
Original post by Notnek

Here. Genuinely dont know what im doing :/
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
Okay, so basically just let ex=2tan(v)e^x=2\tan(v). Also note that the inside of the integral is the same as ex(ex)2+4\frac{e^x}{(e^{x})^2+4}.

What's the issue?

The issues is ive never done these types of questions before and i genuinely have no clue how to go about doing it *to clarify thos isnt homework im doing this to get a headstart on the year im not looking just for the answer i have wolfram for that:smile:*
(edited 6 years ago)

Here. Genuinely dont know what im doing :/

It's fine up until you decide to do integration by parts for some reason. So at 1u2+4.du\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u^2+4} .du use u=2tan(v)u=2\tan(v) substitution and see where that gets you.
Reply 10
It's fine up until you decide to do integration by parts for some reason. So at 1u2+4.du\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u^2+4} .du use u=2tan(v)u=2\tan(v) substitution and see where that gets you.

Thank you its getting late so cant finish rivht now but after subbing u=2tanv would i integrate using property integrate 1/f (x) =lnf (x)/f'(x), get a solution sub u back in for v amd x back in for u?
Thank you its getting late so cant finish rivht now but after subbing u=2tanv would i integrate using property integrate 1/f (x) =lnf (x)/f'(x), get a solution sub u back in for v amd x back in for u?

No. You'd end up integrating 1/2.

Also 1/f(x) does not integrate to ln(f(x)/f'(x))
Reply 12
No. You'd end up integrating 1/2.

Also 1/f(x) does not integrate to ln(f(x)/f'(x))

Oh wait a second i think i got it! Thank you very much. Talking with you helped me click :smile:
You're gonna breeze thru next year and find it so boring if you have an at all good memory of what you are doing atm.
Reply 14
You're gonna breeze thru next year and find it so boring if you have an at all good memory of what you are doing atm.

Thats the aim. Although i highly doubt ill breeze through further maths.
Thats the aim. Although i highly doubt ill breeze through further maths.

So which modules did you do this year and which ones next?
Reply 16
So which modules did you do this year and which ones next?

Im going into yr 13. Ive just done fp1,m1 ,d1,c1,c2,s1. This year i do c3 c4 s2 m2 fp2 fp3
Im going into yr 13. Ive just done fp1,m1 ,d1,c1,c2,s1. This year i do c3 c4 s2 m2 fp2 fp3

Getting ahead on c3 and 4 is probably a good idea then because you need c1-4 and fp1 for fp2 and 3.
Reply 18
Getting ahead on c3 and 4 is probably a good idea then because you need c1-4 and fp1 for fp2 and 3.

Yep . Trying to make life easy :smile: what about you?
Yep . Trying to make life easy :smile: what about you?

I did c1-2 and s1 in year 11 then c3-4 and m1 this year. Doing fp1-3, m2,s2,d1 next year. I've gotta say that I like the way my school has arranged it but it's only possible if you get put in fast track based on year 8 in year 9 which is a bit of a flaw in the system. I definitely think doing maths then further maths is ideal but understand it's not possible for some places because timetabling.

Quick Reply

Latest