Integrate c4 help

Watch
WiseLeo
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Going in yr 13 trying to learn c3/c4 in advance. Stuck on c4 chpt 2 a bit help on this qs would be appreciated.

Find the integral of 1/(e^x+4e^(-x)) usong sub x=e^x and v=2tanv

Thanks in advance
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Econowizard)
Going in yr 13 trying to learn c3/c4 in advance. Stuck on c4 chpt 2 a bit help on this qs would be appreciated.

Find the integral of 1/(e^x+4e^(-x)) usong sub x=e^x and v=2tanv

Thanks in advance
Hi, please post everything you've tried.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Are you sure you wrote out those substitution equations out right?
black1blade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yeah it's meant to be u=e^x then u=2tanv. You do the first substitution and then the second one and it works out quite nicely.
WiseLeo
Rep:
(Original post by Notnek)
u=e^x, u=2tanv . Sorry my bad its late 😋😁
WiseLeo
Rep:
(Original post by black1blade)
Are you sure you wrote out those substitution equations out right?
u=tanv and u=e^x sorry my bad
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
u=e^x, u=2tanv . Sorry my bad its late 😋😁
Okay, so basically just let e^x=2\tan(v). Also note that the inside of the integral is the same as \frac{e^x}{(e^{x})^2+4}.

What's the issue?
WiseLeo
Rep:
Name:  15022340564261408039150.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  505.9 KB
(Original post by Notnek)
Here. Genuinely dont know what im doing :/
WiseLeo
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
Okay, so basically just let e^x=2\tan(v). Also note that the inside of the integral is the same as \frac{e^x}{(e^{x})^2+4}.

What's the issue?
The issues is ive never done these types of questions before and i genuinely have no clue how to go about doing it *to clarify thos isnt homework im doing this to get a headstart on the year im not looking just for the answer i have wolfram for that*
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Here. Genuinely dont know what im doing :/
It's fine up until you decide to do integration by parts for some reason. So at \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u^2+4} .du use u=2\tan(v) substitution and see where that gets you.
WiseLeo
Rep:
It's fine up until you decide to do integration by parts for some reason. So at \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u^2+4} .du use u=2\tan(v) substitution and see where that gets you.
Thank you its getting late so cant finish rivht now but after subbing u=2tanv would i integrate using property integrate 1/f (x) =lnf (x)/f'(x), get a solution sub u back in for v amd x back in for u?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you its getting late so cant finish rivht now but after subbing u=2tanv would i integrate using property integrate 1/f (x) =lnf (x)/f'(x), get a solution sub u back in for v amd x back in for u?
No. You'd end up integrating 1/2.

Also 1/f(x) does not integrate to ln(f(x)/f'(x))
WiseLeo
Rep:
No. You'd end up integrating 1/2.

Also 1/f(x) does not integrate to ln(f(x)/f'(x))
Oh wait a second i think i got it! Thank you very much. Talking with you helped me click
black1blade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You're gonna breeze thru next year and find it so boring if you have an at all good memory of what you are doing atm.
WiseLeo
Rep:
You're gonna breeze thru next year and find it so boring if you have an at all good memory of what you are doing atm.
Thats the aim. Although i highly doubt ill breeze through further maths.
black1blade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thats the aim. Although i highly doubt ill breeze through further maths.
So which modules did you do this year and which ones next?
WiseLeo
Rep:
So which modules did you do this year and which ones next?
Im going into yr 13. Ive just done fp1,m1 ,d1,c1,c2,s1. This year i do c3 c4 s2 m2 fp2 fp3
black1blade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Im going into yr 13. Ive just done fp1,m1 ,d1,c1,c2,s1. This year i do c3 c4 s2 m2 fp2 fp3
Getting ahead on c3 and 4 is probably a good idea then because you need c1-4 and fp1 for fp2 and 3.
WiseLeo
Rep:
Getting ahead on c3 and 4 is probably a good idea then because you need c1-4 and fp1 for fp2 and 3.
Yep . Trying to make life easy what about you?
black1blade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yep . Trying to make life easy what about you?
I did c1-2 and s1 in year 11 then c3-4 and m1 this year. Doing fp1-3, m2,s2,d1 next year. I've gotta say that I like the way my school has arranged it but it's only possible if you get put in fast track based on year 8 in year 9 which is a bit of a flaw in the system. I definitely think doing maths then further maths is ideal but understand it's not possible for some places because timetabling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads