Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm majorly confused! Basically, I have done my A levels (got 3 B's) and am applying now that I have them. The thing is, I've decided to apply for English and Philosophy, which generally requires ABB. I want to retake one of my English Literature modules as I got a C in it (with A's in both the other two modules) to boost it to an A overall. However, I've been reading some old posts here and they say you can only get an unconditional offer or a rejection if you're applying after the exams.

Does retaking mean that you can get conditional offers as you have to decline your grade in that subject?

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I'm interested in this too. I think what we have to do is decline our grades (to the exam boards) and then only write down our AS Levels on the UCAS form. From then on, it'll be the same as applying before A2. This is only what I've been led to believe by friends tho.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think you're right. My only problem is that I'm only retaking one module of one exam. So basically I can say I have 3 B's at A level but I'm trying to make one of them an A with a retake. Still, are the universities going to think of that as an advantage, or are they going to prefer to offer a place to someone who is perhaps predicted AAB?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not 100% sure but because you have done your a levels, you have the results and so any offer they offer you will be unconditional as they know the results you have or what you are likely to get after retakes

ReputationRep:
    You just need to say that you have two Bs and you're currently taking English A2. Make up a good reason why, as if you're resitting, they might not like you.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Dr. Blazed] if you're resitting, they might not like you.[/QUOTE

But I'm so nice! I'll just gloss over the whole resit thing by saying something like I'm determined to get the top grade which I feel I can achieve, blah blah blah. Several people got dodgy results in the paper I'm resitting, I'm talking E's and U's but getting A's and B's in the other modules, so my poor result may not be completely my fault. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    if you are retaking while you apply you may get a conditional offer, but they may think you have done enough and give you an unconditional one anyway. you werent too far off the mark. i applied after my a levels and had one grade below the entry requirements but still i got unconditional offers from all of my choices. i guess it would depend on the amount and quality of applications. but you could try contacting the unis you are interested in and ask whether they would consider you with 3Bs or whether it would be wise to retake. i dont know about declining your grades or whatever, but you will probably get offers, whether they are conditional or not will probably depend on the uni and the demand for the course. i dont think they would look on resitting as a bad thing.

also you say that there were a lot of odd results, have you thought about requesting a re-mark?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I had a meeting with my vice prinicpal the day after the results came out to discuss them, I pointed out that several people had odd results. He however was really dismissive, said it's a subjective area etc and that getting it remarked may make no difference. What was most annoying though was the fact that he tried to make it sound like I was exaggerating the problem and making excuses for my friends and myself. However, I'd heard the other vice principal discussing the problem with someone and the fact that it was bizarre that good students had done so badly on just that one paper. I think they were going to talk to the head of department (who happens to have been my teacher) and hopefully it will get sorted. I feel most sorry for the people who didn't get into their first choice because of it.

ReputationRep:
    well, surely if you want a remark it's the duty of the college to arrange one for you, regardless of their own views? it may make a difference, it may not, btu surely it's worth a try? the only event in which they should advise against a remark is if you are in the bottom bracket of a grade and there is a danger of it going down rather than up. if you just missed a higher grade by a few points, it shouldnt really be possible for the grade to go down after a remark, and if it did i would appeal that there is something very wrong with the marking system. but back to your college, if one vice principal thinks that a remark is necessary, and the head of department agrees, then i assume that it would go ahead. talk it over with your teacher, and if in the end you decide that you really felt that you did better in that module, keep demanding a remark! i think in my school there was some situation regarding the cost of sending the scripts back to the exam boards and having them looked at again, but you may decide that it is worth it if they charge you.

i think when i did my ASs, there were certain issues with certain subjects, where many high performing students got awful grades in a particular unit, and in these cases the school requested that the whole lot got remarked, and they footed the bill also. hopefully the head of department will agree with you. but if all else fails at least you have the year out to retake.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm still going to be going into that college when I'm 70, shouting about the injustice of it all! The vice principal who agrees there is a problem is actually my friend's dad, so he's hearing about the problem on a more personal level which I think makes a difference. I haven't spoken to him personally but another friend has. I don't think a remark, unless it's a rather significant one, will push any of us up much as the grades for the paper were so low. I don't mind doing the retake though as it's only one exam and I was taking the year out anyway. Now I just have to face applying without being talked to and checked constantly along the way, that's daunting. At least my PS will actually be personal this time, they were corrected so many times at college they all started sounding the same!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.