The Student Room Group

My Five University Choices

Hi everyone, could I please get feedback on all of these options as well as how the nightlife/student life at these unis are?

Option 1

The University of Nottingham

Course: Management

Entry requirements: AAB

Option 2

Durham University

Course: Business and Management Studies

Entry requirements: AAB-ABB

Option 3

University of Sussex

Course: Business and Management Studies

Entry requirements: AAB-ABB

Option 4

University of Birmingham

Course: Business Management

Entry requirements: AAB

Option 5

Brighton University

Course: Business

Entry requirements: BCC-CCC
Well if it was me I would switch Durham with Nottingham
Hey, I'm doing a similar thing at looking at Uni options atm. A good website is WhatUni? Alongside the answers you'll get on here, that website will also give your uni and course rankings as well as other information on the local area and students opinions etc. Hope it will help :smile:
Original post by claudiorafael

As far as the UCAS computer is concerned the order is

Birmingham
Brighton
Durham
Nottingham
Sussex

And as far as Durham is concerned the order is

Durham
Between 0 and 4 other universities
Reply 4
Original post by Mahel
Hi everyone, could I please get feedback on all of these options as well as how the nightlife/student life at these unis are?
The University of Nottingham
Durham University
University of Sussex
University of Birmingham
Brighton University

On what basis did you shortlist those choices?

Will you be visiting them (this is strongly advised!)?

You have until January to make your decision and send your form to UCAS - there's no rush...
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
On what basis did you shortlist those choices?

Will you be visiting them (this is strongly advised!)?

You have until January to make your decision and send your form to UCAS - there's no rush...

I based this on AAB being my absolute highest that I'm likely to achieve and ABB being the 'missed' option. With that in mind, a combination between league tables, distance from home, nightlife and how the university actually looks. Brighton is an option in case in a few months, things aren't going so well

I will be visiting Nottingham as I want it to be my firm option and it looks amazing from the YouTube videos, not sure which other ones I'll visit

Whilst January is the official deadline, I go to a top 100 school and I think their deadline is November which is why I'm looking now. Better to apply early than later than everyone else
Reply 6
Original post by claudiorafael

I know Durham is better but it's like 240 miles away vs Nottingham which is like 120 miles. Both are still amazing and Nottingham (University Park) campus looks amazing, and has been ranked as one of the best for nightlife. Durham will probably end up as my insurance due to the "AAB-ABB" instead of Nottingham's set "AAB"
Reply 7
Original post by Chelsea A
Hey, I'm doing a similar thing at looking at Uni options atm. A good website is WhatUni? Alongside the answers you'll get on here, that website will also give your uni and course rankings as well as other information on the local area and students opinions etc. Hope it will help :smile:

whatuni and which are two great websites but of course, opinions from people who have recently attended/are attending the unis matter the most you know? :smile:
Original post by Mahel
I based this on AAB being my absolute highest that I'm likely to achieve and ABB being the 'missed' option. With that in mind, a combination between league tables, distance from home, nightlife and how the university actually looks. Brighton is an option in case in a few months, things aren't going so well

I will be visiting Nottingham as I want it to be my firm option and it looks amazing from the YouTube videos, not sure which other ones I'll visit

Whilst January is the official deadline, I go to a top 100 school and I think their deadline is November which is why I'm looking now. Better to apply early than later than everyone else

You're in no advantage if you apply early or if you apply on the deadline as everyone gets equal consideration. I applied earlier this year around January and still received all my offers on time whereas others who applied earlier were waiting impatiently for responses.

Take your time, visit the unis youve shortlisted (for now) and make your mind up whilst you start working on your personal statement. This can be the basis of what you'd expect of university life and how the course will suit you as you are aware, it varies from each uni respectively.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mahel

That's just a school "deadline" to encourage everyone to get things finished. It's not a real deadline...

All applications are *guaranteed* equal consideration so long as you meet the January deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mahel
whatuni and which are two great websites but of course, opinions from people who have recently attended/are attending the unis matter the most you know? :smile:

Oh yeah, of course. It was just to give a helping hand alongside it if needed. :biggrin:

Quick Reply