How do you get an unconditional offer? Watch

username3478890
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've heard its rare but how does it happen? Is the offer based completely on predicted grades?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
srhb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to an average state school in the North West and quite a few people I know received unconditional offers, so I'm unsure about how "rare" they actually are. They mostly had crazy predicted grades though (AAA, or similar) or were head girl/boy or deputy head girl/boy.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by buseucanlar)
I've heard its rare but how does it happen? Is the offer based completely on predicted grades?
A growing number of universities make conditional offers that they promise to make unconditional if the applicant picks them as their firm choice.

These offers are designed to manipulate applicants into putting a university as firm that they would otherwise have declined.

Normally they're made on the basis of predicted grades.

The vast majority of unconditional offers are still made to applicants who already have their qualifications and grades and are applying during a gap year.
IzzyReeves
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got an unconditional starting this September and I've spoken to people on my course and I know a lot of them did too. I think it's based on a mixture of gcse results and as results and your predictions (ie if your results show that you're hardworking and are likely to get your predictions and succeed at uni). Maybe also a little your reference and personal statement too. Not all uni's do them though.
aconline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They're made in two ways:

1 ) You already meet the entry requirements;
2 ) Your predicted grades are extremely high, and have extracurricular background in the course that you are applying for

Different universities send-out confirmation/rejections at different times.
Some, like my insurance choice, chose to confirm my place when my BTEC grades had been sent to them while others, like my firm, are choosing to confirm/deny my place on the day the exam results are 'public'. This means that a university may choose to change your conditional offer to an unconditional earlier than other universities.

Annoyingly if your offer is changed to unconditional (or vice versa), it seems that UCAS' Track system doesn't let you know about it and you'll have to check Track yourself (which you should be doing regularly anyhow),
Andy Lau
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Achieve the grades required. As I did......in year 12...... got unconditional from Bristol tho
username3479192
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unconditional offers before getting results are still relatively rare but have increased. Some unis just never do it. Normally unconditionals are given to applicants whose predictions meet or exceed the offer and who have strong GCSE and AS grades, and good PS. The uni will only offer unconditional if you Firm them.
The applicant is then certain where they are going and the uni has filled a space with a good student.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are usually only given by lower Universities for 'hard to fill courses' - so start by asking yourself why they cant fill the course.
username3572906
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A friend of mine got an unconditional for Uni of East London based on her work experience as she had a lot of experience for the course she was applying for, which was Special Needs Education, but i'm not sure how many other unis would offer unconditionals based on work experience!
Sid The Kid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some good unis obviously do it
But I heard it's more so less reputable universities that do it more often because they want you to firm them because it = more funding or something (it's something very similar to this I can't remember exactly what somebody said)
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Be a decent applicant
2. Apply to a middle of the road (or worse) uni
3. Wait

Follow those steps and there's like a 60% chance that some uni you didn't really want to go to in the first place will make you an offer where they'll give you an unconditional if you set them as a firm.
Xilogreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Say if you put your unconditional offer as your firm, could you choose your insurance instead if you get the grades on results day?
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xilogreen)
Say if you put your unconditional offer as your firm, could you choose your insurance instead if you get the grades on results day?
NO, you can't have a Unconditional Firm and an insurance because an unconditional is just that. UCAS will not allow you an insurance with an unconditional offer.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have an interview and do well at it then that increases the chances rather than predicted grades alone (for an arts course with a portfolio anyway)
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xilogreen)
As has been said, you can only go to your unconditional, and even worse, you do not have access to UCAS Adjustment if you do better than expected.

As my grandmother might have said, these offers are merely a sprat to catch a mackerel - they are intended to ensnare unwary candidates that would likely have gone elsewhere.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
As has been said, you can only go to your unconditional, and even worse, you do not have access to UCAS Adjustment if you do better than expected.

As my grandmother might have said, these offers are merely a sprat to catch a mackerel - they are intended to ensnare unwary candidates that would likely have gone elsewhere.
Adding to this, Unconditional offers are likely to be for marketing reasons rather than actual quality of the candidate reasons ( this is pre A-level or sim results though)
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not only lower ranking unis that offer them - my friend had an unconditional from Birmingham to read spanish and english. She had really good GCSE results and high predicted grades.
Lemon Haze
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A university will give unconditional offers in order to secure their profits, nothing more.
Jalebi123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 2childmum)
It's not only lower ranking unis that offer them - my friend had an unconditional from Birmingham to read spanish and english. She had really good GCSE results and high predicted grades.
If you got 5 A*, 5 A and 1 B, would that class as exceptional GCSEs for an unconditional offer do you think?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jalebi123)
If you got 5 A*, 5 A and 1 B, would that class as exceptional GCSEs for an unconditional offer do you think?
Unconditional if firm offers are not given to exceptional candidates. They are given out to rank average candidates by universities that are short of bodies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads