Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get an odd result in the comparative and contextual study paper? I got an A in poetry and prose pre 1900, an A on the coursework and then a C on Comp. and Contextual. Also, two of my friends who generally really excel at Lit got E's on that particular one. I overheard some teachers saying that another girl was really upset as that paper had pulled her down to a B so she didn't meet her York offer.

Maybe it's just my college, but it'd be interesting if anyone else experienced the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slotted Pig)
    Did anyone get an odd result in the comparative and contextual study paper? I got an A in poetry and prose pre 1900, an A on the coursework and then a C on Comp. and Contextual. Also, two of my friends who generally really excel at Lit got E's on that particular one. I overheard some teachers saying that another girl was really upset as that paper had pulled her down to a B so she didn't meet her York offer.

Maybe it's just my college, but it'd be interesting if anyone else experienced the same.
    All our people had pretty much what they expected.

Out of interest which authors did you study? We had: Marvell and Sheridan. Toni Morrison. And the big module we did Satire.

ReputationRep:
    We did King Lear (Shakespeare of course) and Coleridge for pre 1900 and 20th century American lit for the big one. For that we did The Color Purple (which I despise with a passion!) and A Streetcar Named Desire, also using The Great Gatsby, which we'd doen for AS. I'm pretty sure it was the unseen piece that probably tripped us up as it's rather subjective. It just takes one grumpy examiner...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slotted Pig)
    We did King Lear (Shakespeare of course) and Coleridge for pre 1900 and 20th century American lit for the big one. For that we did The Color Purple (which I despise with a passion!) and A Streetcar Named Desire, also using The Great Gatsby, which we'd doen for AS. I'm pretty sure it was the unseen piece that probably tripped us up as it's rather subjective. It just takes one grumpy examiner...
    Yeah I agree - also there are a fair few points going for that. I think because we had satire, it became more objective - there are specific things to talk about. 20th century US Lit is much more subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently someone in my year prepared all of the unseens, despite being told repeatedly only to do the American lit one. That must have taken them half of the exam! It could always have been my negative feelings about The Color Purple that dragged it down. I don't remember raving about how awful I think it is in the exam, but my negative attitude towards studying it probably didn't help. I think the only reason we did American lit is because the teachers had no objections to the texts in that area, although TCP can be a bit controversial with parents. They're changing to AQA now though.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.