Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive just done my as levelz, and my gradez were really poor D-U, i took mathz, physics, ICT and chem, ive droped chem as i got a U, a lot of ppl have told me i have got 2 do lotz and lotz of work to earn decent gradez nxt yr, i want 2 also resit all modules, how many hourz shall i aim for private study each night after school and at weekendz, is there any useful advice on independent learning also, thanx!

ReputationRep:
    i did badly in my AS levels too - got B,D,U,U I'm hoping to turn things around by the end of next year, but dreading it. How are you meant to make time for independent study when you have to worry about homework and coursework on top of it all?! :mad: i did well at GCSE with 1A*, 5A's and 4B's and now i've lost all confidence in taking exams

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up.

I did badly too. At least we can do re-sits during the A2 year.

Just learn from your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice'N'Dice)
    Cheer up.

how badly did you do, if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria D)
    how badly did you do, if you don't mind me asking
    DDEU *Ba da boom boom tish*

ReputationRep:
    my school recommended that we do 6 hours a week per subject of private studying but i chose to be lazy ( i only did a couple of hours per week in total) and my results were baaaad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red_Taboo)
    my school recommended that we do 6 hours a week per subject of private studying but i chose to be lazy ( i only did a couple of hours per week in total) and my results were baaaad
    How bad?

ReputationRep:

o ok, in that case i will take your advice and cheer up Only i had to ask because i've read a lot of posts from people on these boards who seem all depressed about a few odd marks even when they have decent grades like A's and B's :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria D)
    o ok, in that case i will take your advice and cheer up Only i had to ask because i've read a lot of posts from people on these boards who seem all depressed about a few odd marks even when they have decent grades like A's and B's :rolleyes:
    I know what you mean lol.

Ah well, be happy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Cheer up, they spell DUDE! Mine spell BABE.

My school advised 6 hours study per subject per week, including homework. But since you're going to retake your AS levels, you should probably aim for around 5/6 hours for your A level subjects and as much as possible for your AS's.

And make sure you work in your free periods!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Cheer up, they spell DUDE! Mine spell BABE.

My school advised 6 hours study per subject per week, including homework. But since you're going to retake your AS levels, you should probably aim for around 5/6 hours for your A level subjects and as much as possible for your AS's.

And make sure you work in your free periods!
    6, for each subject!...thats like 24-30 hours a week :eek:, I did 10 at most
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    6, for each subject!...thats like 24-30 hours a week :eek:, I did 10 at most
    Well, I went to a private school! I didn't do that much work either. But the more work you do the better really

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up.

i'm going to re-sit one of my papers for politics. Do you do them in January or june?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam130)
    ive just done my as levelz, and my gradez were really poor D-U, i took mathz, physics, ICT and chem, ive droped chem as i got a U, a lot of ppl have told me i have got 2 do lotz and lotz of work to earn decent gradez nxt yr, i want 2 also resit all modules, how many hourz shall i aim for private study each night after school and at weekendz, is there any useful advice on independent learning also, thanx!
    Why do you add all those Zs to your words?! It makes it harder to read your posts, and you're an A Level student at that!

If you really want those grades then I suppose you're going to have to make some sacrifices. You know what you need to learn so if you're doing two/three (not including your A2 work) hours a day then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about AS exams (and there aren't many good things!) is that you can always resit them, like you said. I got an overall C in history in AS and with 1 resit that went right up to an A. But you do have to put the work in!! If you can make a studying schedule and stick to it you'll be alright. How much exactly I'm not sure - it depends on the subjects and how well you can remember things.

Anyway just stay positive and try hard to keep up studying every day. I know of worse grades than yours being turned into pretty solid final grades!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam130)
    If you got any modules for C or higher, I'd advise you not to re-sit those because you can still get a decent grade with one module that's a little iffy. ALso, if you're going to re-sit, the best way to make it easier is to schedule some modules for the summer and some for January, so that you odnt' get overloaded. If your notes are complete revision shouldn't be too bad, but if they are incomplete and you've missed lots of classes, I'd advise you to make sure that you add bits to your notes tha you've missed. Also, it's really useful to get past exam papers to work with and look for information on the net. I'd suggest up to 3 hours a night for each subject in terms of revision for re-sits, and spend the weekends on your A2 studies. You don't need to do 6 hours a week for each subject, as the basics are probably already in your head and you'd also do nasty things to your brain if you spend all of your free time revising for AS and A2. Whatever you do though... don't neglect your A2 studies, because A2 is much harder than AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    If you got any modules for C or higher, I'd advise you not to re-sit those because you can still get a decent grade with one module that's a little iffy.
    what does that mean? i.e. i got ACC in my papers for poltitics, but i'm going to re-sit one of them to get an A. Is there any point in me doing that? Also, do they do re-sits in january or does it depend what school you're at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i'm going to re-sit one of my papers for politics. Do you do them in January or june?
    You can re-sit in either January or June, but if you want to do your re-sits in January, you have to go to the exams department at your school and arrange them either this week or next. If you're nto sure whether to do re-sits in January or June, I'd advise you to find out how many A2 exams you have in January and June, and balance it so that you're not putting too much strain on yourself. Make sure you're nto doing any more than a maximum of 4 exams in January (and really, about 2 or 3 is the best number) otherwise you'll find it hard to keep up with your lessons, and revise at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    what does that mean? i.e. i got ACC in my papers for poltitics, but i'm going to re-sit one of them to get an A. Is there any point in me doing that? Also, do they do re-sits in january or does it depend what school you're at?
    Well, if you re-sit one paper, there is a lot of point in that, because it could easily bring your overall grade up to an A. What is your UMS score overall, and what are the marks out of 100 for your papers? As far as I know, re-sits are available in January and June at all schools, but if you dont' know your school's policy, I'd advise you to go in or phone up and check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    Well, if you re-sit one paper, there is a lot of point in that, because it could easily bring your overall grade up to an A. What is your UMS score overall, and what are the marks out of 100 for your papers? As far as I know, re-sits are available in January and June at all schools, but if you dont' know your school's policy, I'd advise you to go in or phoneup and check.
    ahh well, i've already worked that out if i get the same mark in the re-sit that i got on paper 1(A) it will be an A overall. i don't think it should be too difficult to study 2 topics in politics. There's only so many questions they can ask you.

the overall mark on each paper is 100.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.