Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    ahh well, i've already worked that out if i get the same mark in the re-sit that i got on paper 1(A) it will be an A overall. i don't think it should be too difficult to study 2 topics in politics. There's only so many questions they can ask you.
    I'd advise studying 3 out of the 4 topics, because one of the 2 topics you choose might offer a nasty question which you find difficult to approach, so at least if you study 3 areas, there's a back up. Which paper are you re-sitting? paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    I'd advise studying 3 out of the 4 topics, because one of the 2 topics you choose might offer a nasty question which you find difficult to approach, so at least if you study 3 areas, there's a back up. Which paper are you re-sitting? paper 2?
    yeah, funnily enough. That's the paper i got the lowest mark in, which surprises me. I thought it would be the third paper considering i read the question wrong on the 20 mk question Was writing for instead of against and was too late to change it:rolleyes: silly me. lucky i eneded up with a B overall.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, funnily enough. That's the paper i got the lowest mark in, which surprises me. I thought it would be the third paper considering i read the question wrong on the 20 mk question Was writing for instead of against and was too late to change it:rolleyes: silly me. lucky i eneded up with a B overall.
    My teacher claimed that paper 2 was the hardest, and yet oddly enough, I found paper 1 the hardest, but I got the same marks for all 3 papers, so it was cool. It sucks when you misread the question. I have been terrible in regard to that in the past, so nowadays I read the question about four times! lol. But anyway, I'm sure you'll easily pull up your B to an A with a resit in January.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher claimed that paper 2 was the hardest, and yet oddly enough, I found paper 1 the hardest, but I got the same marks for all 3 papers, so it was cool. It sucks when you misread the question. I have been terrible in regard to that in the past, so nowadays I read the question about four times! lol. But anyway, I'm sure you'll easily pull up your B to an A with a resit in January.
    i hope so. I'm really bad at mis-reading questions tho. i really need to stop that:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i hope so. I'm really bad at mis-reading questions tho. i really need to stop that:rolleyes:
    Just read the question more than once, and underline key words with your pen. It also helps to include a bit of the question in the answer, e.g. 'representative democracy is' (according to one of my teachers),because ti keeps you focused on what you're writing about, and in just writing less than a sentence you haven't wasted that much time either. The annoying thing about exams is that it can seem like it's more exam technique than actual knowledge which matters in the end. :-( Also, do you know about assessment objectives?

ReputationRep:
    Just read the question more than once, and underline key words with your pen. It also helps to include a bit of the question in the answer, e.g. 'representative democracy is' (according to one of my teachers),because ti keeps you focused on what you're writing about, and in just writing less than a sentence you haven't wasted that much time either. The annoying thing about exams is that it can seem like it's more exam technique than actual knowledge which matters in the end. :-( Also, do you know about assessment objectives?
    i don't know, probably somewhere

ReputationRep:
    i don't know, probably somewhere
    It's really useful to know them and the teachers at my college drummed them into all of our heads.

AO1= descriptive
    AO2= evaluative/analysis
    AO3= quality of communication and terminology.

5 mark q = 5 AO1
    15 marq q = 5 AO1 5 AO2 5 AO3
    30 maek q = 10 AO1 15 AO2 5 AO3

ReputationRep:
    It's really useful to know them and the teachers at my college drummed them into all of our heads.

AO1= descriptive
    AO2= evaluative/analysis
    AO3= quality of communication and terminology.

5 mark q = 5 AO1
    15 marq q = 5 AO1 5 AO2 5 AO3
    30 maek q = 10 AO1 15 AO2 5 AO3
    what does the 5 mean in front of the AO1 AO2 etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria D)
    i did badly in my AS levels too - got B,D,U,U I'm hoping to turn things around by the end of next year, but dreading it. How are you meant to make time for independent study when you have to worry about homework and coursework on top of it all?! :mad: i did well at GCSE with 1A*, 5A's and 4B's and now i've lost all confidence in taking exams
    Yes I know exactly what you mean, there's so much homework and coursework to do, that there's no room for independent study. This is why I always fall behind with my homeworks, and leave my coursework until the very last minute, literally.

You are intelligent, don't lose you're confidence. All you need is dedication, completely dedicate yourself to your studies this year and you'll push those grades up. Hopefully you're B's will remain B's or even be A',s your D will be a C, and the U's, well, who knows???

ReputationRep:
    I want to hug all those ppl who didn't do very well in their AS. I've realised that ppl up on this forum are mostly genius. i feel so impotent n sick while ppl mention that they aren't satisfied with their A or B grade results. I need some ppl out there who has got the same situation as me. Let's HUG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lost_in_cyberia)
    I want to hug all those ppl who didn't do very well in their AS. I've realised that ppl up on this forum are mostly genius. i feel so impotent n sick while ppl mention that they aren't satisfied with their A or B grade results. I need some ppl out there who has got the same situation as me. Let's HUG
    I can understand why you feel a bit sick about them, but usually you're dealing with over-achievers who had very specific targets, so they feel as if they've let themselves down, if they got 105/120 rather than 115/120.

ReputationRep:
    what does the 5 mean in front of the AO1 AO2 etc?
    Each of the numbers represents the amoutn of marks allocated for each assessment objective to each question, e.g. a 5 mark question requires 5 AO1 points, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    Yes I know exactly what you mean, there's so much homework and coursework to do, that there's no room for independent study. This is why I always fall behind with my homeworks, and leave my coursework until the very last minute, literally.

You are intelligent, don't lose you're confidence. All you need is dedication, completely dedicate yourself to your studies this year and you'll push those grades up. Hopefully you're B's will remain B's or even be A',s your D will be a C, and the U's, well, who knows???

In regard to Maria's message... I think that AS/A levels are much, much harder than GCSEs, so going up a levle can be a shock. I agree with you - confidence, dedication and hard work can boost the grades.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.