The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Building Surveying/Built Environment course at Sheffield Hallam

I'm interested in starting building surveying, entry 2018 and I can't find much information about how students find the course, or any built environment course at Sheffield Hallam for that matter.

What are the courses like?
What is the teaching like?
What are class sizes like?
How many contact hours are there usually?
Do the tutors help you out a lot?
Would you recommend your course at Hallam to others?
What's the worst part of the course?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by amingo26
I'm interested in starting building surveying, entry 2018 and I can't find much information about how students find the course, or any built environment course at Sheffield Hallam for that matter.

Hi @amingo26

Sorry you've not had a response yet! I can't answer your questions for you personally but I'll try and find one of our students who might be able to help out. In the meantime, our open days are the perfect opportunity to come and meet some of the students currently studying the course and ask them you're questions. We have 3 open days coming up in Autumn which you can book onto now if you're interested:
https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/open-days

If you have any questions about Sheffield Hallam more generally, I'm happy to help :smile:

Hannah
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Hi @amingo26

I have some answers for you from Sophie who is one of our students studying the building surveying course.

"What are the courses like?

The course is good. There is a range of topics covered in the subject. In the first year you study an overview of topics that link to the built environment such as built environment law, materials and economics but there are also a couple of projects that link to building surveying specifically. In my first year we took on some outdoor projects as in our module ‘surveying’ and some lab work in our module ‘materials’. All the projects are entirely hypothetical but do give an idea of real work in industry. In my favorite assessment of the first year we were taken to a building owned by Hallam and told to produce to scale floor plans and a specification for the renovation of the building into anything we wanted to make it.

What is the teaching like? Do the tutors help you out a lot?

The teaching is good, mixed I would say but different styles of teaching suit different people. The course leader is very approachable and friendly. We have lectures in lecture theatres and then seminars which are in classrooms which back-up the lecture and give you the opportunity to ask any questions.

The tutors are generally happy to meet and offer assistance, and they reply to emails. In fact I feel I have had a lot of support in both my years at university.

In my class we have around 15 people, just under half are girls. The year is split into two halves and in the other half of surveyors I think there are again around 15 however less girls. So about 30 in the year.

I am on the full time course and had 3 days a week at university in my first year and I think slightly less in my second year. This is handy as lectures are full on and having time to revise notes is handy.

Yes, I am really enjoying my time at Hallam.

Some of the necessary modules can be slightly dry to learn, for example law and contractual procedures.

If there's anything else you want to know, I'm happy to answer.

Sophie"
Reply 3
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @amingo26

I have some answers for you from Sophie who is one of our students studying the building surveying course.

The course is good. There is a range of topics covered in the subject. In the first year you study an overview of topics that link to the built environment such as built environment law, materials and economics but there are also a couple of projects that link to building surveying specifically. In my first year we took on some outdoor projects as in our module ‘surveying’ and some lab work in our module ‘materials’. All the projects are entirely hypothetical but do give an idea of real work in industry. In my favorite assessment of the first year we were taken to a building owned by Hallam and told to produce to scale floor plans and a specification for the renovation of the building into anything we wanted to make it.

What is the teaching like? Do the tutors help you out a lot?

The teaching is good, mixed I would say but different styles of teaching suit different people. The course leader is very approachable and friendly. We have lectures in lecture theatres and then seminars which are in classrooms which back-up the lecture and give you the opportunity to ask any questions.

The tutors are generally happy to meet and offer assistance, and they reply to emails. In fact I feel I have had a lot of support in both my years at university.

In my class we have around 15 people, just under half are girls. The year is split into two halves and in the other half of surveyors I think there are again around 15 however less girls. So about 30 in the year.

I am on the full time course and had 3 days a week at university in my first year and I think slightly less in my second year. This is handy as lectures are full on and having time to revise notes is handy.

Yes, I am really enjoying my time at Hallam.

Some of the necessary modules can be slightly dry to learn, for example law and contractual procedures.

If there's anything else you want to know, I'm happy to answer.

Sophie"

Thank you so much for your reply!!

I've been looking everywhere to find some information about built environment courses!!

Hi @amingo26,

I have some answers for you from Lauren who wanted to give her response aswell.

I would thoroughly recommend the building surveying course to someone who is interested in the profession due to the ratio between field work, lab work and time spent in lectures and seminars. As Sophie mentioned, it gives you an idea of what work would be like as a building surveyor in industry. There is also an opportunity to become a student representative for your group, this allows you to collect opinions from your class about the course and voice it to the lecturing staff.

Furthermore, the course is accredited which enables you to become a Chartered Building Surveyor with the RICS; you can complete year one of APC within placement year and carry it forward after graduation. Overall it is a great course with plenty of opportunities to grow as a surveyor and as a professional in industry.

I would agree entirely with Sophie's response.

What are the class sizes like?

In my year there are two equal size seminar groups of around 15 students however, within lectures you will mix with the other built environment courses so the number of people in lectures can vary depending upon the module. Classes have a mix of full-time and part-time students which allows you to interact with people already working within the industry; this can be a great insight into the profession.

How many contact hours are there?

Like Sophie I am a full-time student however, I live at home and commute to university. In my year the two seminar groups are generally split between the students who live at home and those who live in university accommodation. For my group (which the majority commute) we were timetabled two days a week for both year one and two, this limits the number of days traveling into university but we still had the same number of contact hours for each module.

Would you recommend your course at Hallam?

Yes! Not only is the course good but the university is great environment to work in.

What is the worse part of the course?

I agree with Sophie that law and contract modules are quite dry however, we understand that these modules involve underpinning knowledge to enable you to work in the construction industry.

Lauren"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending