Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

GCSE Results Day - 24th August 2017 - Grade Boundaries Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

GCSE Results Day - 24th August 2017 - Grade Boundaries

Hiya guys! The last 12 months have absolutely flown by, it’s GCSE results day already! My GCSE results day was nearly 10 years ago (yes, I really am that old! :lol:) and I remember being nervous but excited at the thought of seeing where 2 years of hard work had gotten me! You’ll definitely miss your GCSE’s, you’ve got a lot of hard work ahead of you; regardless of what path you decide to follow after today! Grades can be factor in getting you to where you want to be but they definitely don’t define who are as a person. I’ve not reached my goal a couple of times (both with my A Levels and my degree mark) but it’s where you end up, not how you get you get there that’s the most important thing

I'd also just like to draw your attention to the wonderful threads set up just for you guys on this upcoming results day! The super lovely shadowdweller has created an awesome thread about about retakes and reviews, and furryface12 (who is also super, duper lovely) has created one focused on advice if you didn't quite do as well as you hoped or expected

The Grade Boundaries

The following links will be red once the grade boundaries have been linked in

Edexcel
    Edexcel 9-1
    Edexcel IGCSE
    AQA
    AQA 9-1
    AQA IGCSE
    WJEC
    OCR
    CIE
    CCEA

What are grade boundaries for and what do they mean?

The grade boundaries will be released on GCSE results day (not the day before as was previously the case). Papers will be given an individual grade to show how well you’ve done on that paper, however, as your GCSE’s are only given one final grade, these do not matter.

Grade boundaries in English and maths will use the new 9-1 grading. All other subjects will still use the A* to G grading system. New GCSEs won't all be introduced at the same time. The first subjects affected are English language, English literature and maths. These will be first assessed in 2017.

The new course for most other GCSE subjects will be examined in 2018.

New grading system

The new system goes from 9 at the top down to 1. The bottom of grade 7 is the equivalent to the bottom of grade A. You’ll need to be in roughly the top 20% of students achieving an A. It is harder to get so fewer people will achieve a 9 than achieved an A* in the old system.

The bottom of grade 4 is the equivalent to the bottom of grade C. Roughly the same proportion of students who achieved a C and above will achieve a 4 or above. A grade 4 is described as a ‘standard pass’ and a grade 5 as a ‘strong pass’.

What will you need to get onto A-Level courses in your school or college?

This will vary between different schools and colleges. As 4 or 5 grade Cs used to be typical entry requirements for A level, it is likely that you will be asked for 4s or 5s. Some subjects may well have their own entry requirements, for example you may be asked for a 5 or even a 6 in maths GCSE to continue the subject at A level.

It won’t matter that teachers aren’t experienced at these new courses as it’s accepted that there are fewer past papers and text books so each year grade boundaries are set using the principle of ‘comparable outcomes’. This means that the general pattern of results will be similar each year unless it is known that one year group is more or less able than the previous.

So the fact that some courses are new should not make any difference to the overall pattern of results.

What about students in Wales and Northern Ireland?

In Wales and Northern Ireland most students will still receive grades A*-G although some may take English-style GCSEs graded 9-1.

What should I do if I am very close to the next boundary?

One of the most frustrating things is being really close to the next highest grade boundary, particularly if it's the difference between a pass and a fail, or if you have a personal goal you were oh so close to reaching but falling short by a couple of marks. When it comes to subject like GCSE Mathematics and English Language, it is even more annoying as getting that level 4/5 is so important. However, there are options, as always!

Reviews of marking

There are now no such things as remarks, there is something called ‘reviews of marking’. Instead of remarking the entire paper without paying any attention to the original mark, the senior examiner will now just review how the previous examiner marked the paper. So instead of getting a completely new mark, it will be up to the examiner to decide whether your original mark was fair and consistent. If they decide it is, then your original mark stays. If they decide it isn’t, they will award a new mark for the paper.

If you feel as though you should get a paper reviewed, find out your marks for each separate exam in the subject. If they’re not on your exam slip ask at your school or college. Is there one paper where you feel the exam went well but your mark and grade are lower than anticipated? That will be the paper to get reviewed. This is an option that shouldn't be taken lightly, as 1. it can be quite expensive, and 2. there is a chance your mark could go down or simply stay the same.

Contact your school or college if you feel as though you a paper you’ve sat should be reviewed as they will need to submit your application. If you have a university place pending, you’ll have to get it looked at as a priority review which means it will get checked quicker. If you don’t have a uni place pending for 2017, you can get the standard review.

Remember to check out the retakes and reviews thread linked previously for more details on this subject!

All that is left to be said, is good luck! Everyone here hopes you’re incredibly happy with the results you get on Thursday Remember all is not lost if you don’t do as well as you’ve hoped, don’t panic; there’s always something you can do and there is lots of support out there (pester your teachers – that’s what they’re there for!) There’ll be lots of people around on TSR for advice or support if you need it too! ^_^
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)

GCSE Results Day - 24th August 2017 - Grade Boundaries

Hiya guys! The last 12 months have absolutely flown by, it’s GCSE results day already! My GCSE results day was nearly 10 years ago (yes, I really am that old! :lol:) and I remember being nervous but excited at the thought of seeing where 2 years of hard work had gotten me! You’ll definitely miss your GCSE’s, you’ve got a lot of hard work ahead of you; regardless of what path you decide to follow after today! Grades can be factor in getting you to where you want to be but they definitely don’t define who are as a person. I’ve not reached my goal a couple of times (both with my A Levels and my degree mark) but it’s where you end up, not how you get you get there that’s the most important thing

I'd also just like to draw your attention to the wonderful threads set up just for you guys on this upcoming results day! The super lovely shadowdweller has created an awesome thread about about retakes and reviews, and furryface12 (who is also super, duper lovely) has created one focused on advice if you didn't quite do as well as you hoped or expected

The Grade Boundaries

The following links will be red once the grade boundaries have been linked in

Edexcel
    Edexcel IGCSE
    AQA
    AQA IGCSE
    WJEC
    OCR
    CIE
    CCEA

What are grade boundaries for and what do they mean?

The grade boundaries will be released on GCSE results day (not the day before as was previously the case). Papers will be given an individual grade to show how well you’ve done on that paper, however, as your GCSE’s are only given one final grade, these do not matter.

Grade boundaries in English and maths will use the new 9-1 grading. All other subjects will still use the A* to G grading system. New GCSEs won't all be introduced at the same time. The first subjects affected are English language, English literature and maths. These will be first assessed in 2017.

The new course for most other GCSE subjects will be examined in 2018.

New grading system

The new system goes from 9 at the top down to 1. The bottom of grade 7 is the equivalent to the bottom of grade A. You’ll need to be in roughly the top 20% of students achieving an A. It is harder to get so fewer people will achieve a 9 than achieved an A* in the old system.

The bottom of grade 4 is the equivalent to the bottom of grade C. Roughly the same proportion of students who achieved a C and above will achieve a 4 or above. A grade 4 is described as a ‘standard pass’ and a grade 5 as a ‘strong pass’.

What will you need to get onto A-Level courses in your school or college?

This will vary between different schools and colleges. As 4 or 5 grade Cs used to be typical entry requirements for A level, it is likely that you will be asked for 4s or 5s. Some subjects may well have their own entry requirements, for example you may be asked for a 5 or even a 6 in maths GCSE to continue the subject at A level.

It won’t matter that teachers aren’t experienced at these new courses as it’s accepted that there are fewer past papers and text books so each year grade boundaries are set using the principle of ‘comparable outcomes’. This means that the general pattern of results will be similar each year unless it is known that one year group is more or less able than the previous.

So the fact that some courses are new should not make any difference to the overall pattern of results.

What about students in Wales and Northern Ireland?

In Wales and Northern Ireland most students will still receive grades A*-G although some may take English-style GCSEs graded 9-1.

What should I do if I am very close to the next boundary?

One of the most frustrating things is being really close to the next highest grade boundary, particularly if it's the difference between a pass and a fail, or if you have a personal goal you were oh so close to reaching but falling short by a couple of marks. When it comes to subject like GCSE Mathematics and English Language, it is even more annoying as getting that level 4/5 is so important. However, there are options, as always!

Reviews of marking

There are now no such things as remarks, there is something called ‘reviews of marking’. Instead of remarking the entire paper without paying any attention to the original mark, the senior examiner will now just review how the previous examiner marked the paper. So instead of getting a completely new mark, it will be up to the examiner to decide whether your original mark was fair and consistent. If they decide it is, then your original mark stays. If they decide it isn’t, they will award a new mark for the paper.

If you feel as though you should get a paper reviewed, find out your marks for each separate exam in the subject. If they’re not on your exam slip ask at your school or college. Is there one paper where you feel the exam went well but your mark and grade are lower than anticipated? That will be the paper to get reviewed. This is an option that shouldn't be taken lightly, as 1. it can be quite expensive, and 2. there is a chance your mark could go down or simply stay the same.

Contact your school or college if you feel as though you a paper you’ve sat should be reviewed as they will need to submit your application. If you have a university place pending, you’ll have to get it looked at as a priority review which means it will get checked quicker. If you don’t have a uni place pending for 2017, you can get the standard review.

Remember to check out the retakes and reviews thread linked previously for more details on this subject!

All that is left to be said, is good luck! Everyone here hopes you’re incredibly happy with the results you get on Thursday Remember all is not lost if you don’t do as well as you’ve hoped, don’t panic; there’s always something you can do and there is lots of support out there (pester your teachers – that’s what they’re there for!) There’ll be lots of people around on TSR for advice or support if you need it too! ^_^
    This was really helpful, thank you. :hugs:
    I wish everyone best of luck for Thursday.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quizlet)
    This was really helpful, thank you. :hugs:
    I wish everyone best of luck for Thursday.
    No problem :hugs: I hope you do amazingly well

ReputationRep:
    I know most people have done the new 9-1 GCSE this year for Maths & Science, but I took the old A*-C spec for Maths & Additional Science both AQA. How do you think the grade boundaries for the old spec will change or be affected by the new grade boundaries on the new spec ??
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Great thread. Calmed me down a lot cuz I was stressing too much over reviews and remarking.

P.S. can't believe you're that old

ReputationRep:
    Will these links that go red also be for the legacy GCSE boundaries, and with the remarking, does it change for those who sat legacy papers too?

ReputationRep:
    Great informative post. Only three days left until results day so fingers crossed we all do good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    *snip*
    When are the UMS converters updated? The same time as the boundaries are released, or the day before at midnight/6am? I've heard both statements, but I haven't found confirmation for either.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't CIE already have grade boundaries?

I'm so dumb I was trying to click on the exam board links hoping for the grade boundaries to come up .

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what time grade boundaries are due out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rendella)
    1 hour 51 minutes from now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samosa and Vada)
    That's not to the public though? Do you think they'll be leaked, I hope so Good luck if u sat exams

ReputationRep:
    update thissssssssss ):::::::

ReputationRep:
    Guys the Edexcel grade boundaries are up if you go to UMS calculator spreadsheet and enter in your exam paper info then you get it.

i'm going to die 36/40 for german

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNlee)
    Guys the Edexcel grade boundaries are up if you go to UMS calculator spreadsheet and enter in your exam paper info then you get it.

i'm going to die 36/40 for german
    need the maths legacy how i get this
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperBored)
    update thissssssssss ):::::::
    Won't be updated till tomorrow sorry!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by rendella)
    (Original post by Samosa and Vada)
    Grade boundaries aren't going to be released until tomorrow from 6am.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck Everyone!!!! I'm probably just as anxious as you all but you know WHAT WILL BE WILL BE(just make sure you all know plan B in case you get unexpected results😉)

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.