Why does the universe exist?
Original post by TakreemAhmad
Why does the universe exist?
IMHO, there is no obvious reason

however, since we're here, we have to muddle through

best
Allah the Almighty says in the Holy Quran:

"And I have not the created the Jinn and Men but that they may worship Me"

Apart from the literal meaning, I believe that this verse means that Humans have been created to emulate God, and should try to emulate his qualities and attributes.
in this way, we can better ourself, and improve.

(like moral evolution if you like)
Also, instead of trying to poke (imaginary) holes in religious theories and beliefs, why don't you come up with something original to explain why humans exist?

I'm sure you can do better than "I don't know" 😂
Original post by OxFossil
Many Muslims who have studied biology beyond school and pretty much all who work in the field in a professional capacity accept the overwhelming scientific consensus on evolution, just as most accept the overwhelming scientific consensus in physics, chemistry, geology and so on. What do you see as the main obstacle for those who do not?

Hi

Answer:

I don't agree that this is the case. As has been mentioned on the thread, certain elements of Evolution are not denied by the majority, yet there are other parts that are often not agreed upon.

This isn't set up as a debate thread, so I'll suffice with replying to this generally, without any discussion on the separate points.

Regarding the average person, Evolution is an idea that isn't free from speculation and one that is then used to denounce various faiths and ways of life.
The extrapolation of an observable process (microevolution), to speculation based on incomplete data (all living things descend from one original life form, e.g. humans and chihuahuas have the same ancestor), to the denunciation of religions and denying any possibility for the existence of a Creator. (I'm not saying that this is your view, but rather it is the view of some figures who have gained popularity in this discussion of Evolution and religion - such as Dawkins and Hitchens.) This, the attack against theism, is a big reason for its rejection (or rather, its incomplete acceptance).

For the better acquainted, they are in a position to not take everything from Evolution as 'Godspeak' (excuse the pun :wink:) and look at it considering the more particular details (without blindly accepting it and everything that it proposes and denying possibility of any substantial criticism). They will consider things such as similarities not necessarily proving common descent, the overall incompleteness of the fossil record, the predicament of events such as the Cambrian explosion, the existence of innate behaviours, the lack of (true) transitional species or organs that are part-way through developing, whether at present or historically, and the improbability of an underdeveloped organ or system being sustained through millenia in light of Evolution's proposal that beneficial traits define development (natural selection).
(edited 5 years ago)
Also, instead of trying to poke (imaginary) holes in religious theories and beliefs, why don't you come up with something original to explain why humans exist?

I'm sure you can do better than "I don't know" 😂

Why are you assuming there’s a “why”? There is no evidence for some grand reason. We simply evolved, we’re here and we get to decide what we do with our lives.
Original post by mariachi
why create people at all ?

best

Hi mariachi

Answer:

The same could be asked about many things. Ultimately, Allah creates, and had He not created mankind or the universe, neither would be existent.

Narrowing it down, the creation of man is the bringing into existence of a species that has the capability to to think on a higher level, to pursue goals and achieve accomplishments, to interact with its fellow creation by way of thought and determination and ultimately to either seek its Creator (thereby learning to transcend beyond materialistic pursuits and carnal desires, as well as acknowledging the Creator and His works and being cautious of our decisions in daily life) or live life without doing so.
Original post by ash92:)
Hi mariachi

Answer:

The same could be asked about many things. Ultimately, Allah creates, and had He not created mankind or the universe, neither would be existent.

Narrowing it down, the creation of man is the bringing into existence of a species that has the capability to to think on a higher level, to pursue goals and achieve accomplishments, to interact with its fellow creation by way of thought and determination and ultimately to either seek its Creator (thereby learning to transcend beyond materialistic pursuits and carnal desires, as well as acknowledging the Creator and His works and being cautious of our decisions in daily life) or live life without doing so.
Hi ash : we both know that this is not the place for extended dialogue

so I will limit myself to recording that your answer is very unsatisfactory. Below the elaborate language, there is nothing: no clear reason for creating the Universe and humankind

Best
Hi

Answer:

I don't agree that this is the case. As has been mentioned on the thread, certain elements of Evolution are not denied by the majority, yet there are other parts that are often not agreed upon.

This isn't set up as a debate thread, so I'll suffice with replying to this generally, without any discussion on the separate points.

Regarding the average person, Evolution is an idea that isn't free from speculation and one that is then used to denounce various faiths and ways of life.
The extrapolation of an observable process (microevolution), to speculation based on incomplete data (all living things descend from one original life form, e.g. humans and chihuahuas have the same ancestor), to the denunciation of religions and denying any possibility for the existence of a Creator. (I'm not saying that this is your view, but rather it is the view of some figures who have gained popularity in this discussion of Evolution and religion - such as Dawkins and Hitchens.) This, the attack against theism, is a big reason for its rejection (or rather, its incomplete acceptance).

For the better acquainted, they are in a position to not take everything from Evolution as 'Godspeak' (excuse the pun :wink:) and look at it considering the more particular details (without blindly accepting it and everything that it proposes and denying possibility of any substantial criticism). They will consider things such as similarities not necessarily proving common descent, the overall incompleteness of the fossil record, the predicament of events such as the Cambrian explosion, the existence of innate behaviours, the lack of (true) transitional species or organs that are part-way through developing, whether at present or historically, and the improbability of an underdeveloped organ or system being sustained through millenia in light of Evolution's proposal that beneficial traits define development (natural selection).

Thanks. As you say, I am not interested in a debate about evolutionary theory. What you suggest as the "substantial criticism[s]" of the "better acquainted" such as your claimed "lack of true transitional species" or alleged "incompleteness of the fossil record", are challenges that have been put to bed a long time ago. No-one with a serious interest in the field believes these are viable objections.

I can see that the conflation of evolution with anti-theism may be a problem in societies where it is difficult to profess views contrary to a theistic orthodoxy. This is why it is not always helpful to identify acceptance of evolution with atheism - there are many, many theists who do not see them as incompatible.

I suppose what I am most interested in is from where "ordinary" Muslims take their lead on matters like this, where they cannot be expected to be familiar with the technical details. For example, Catholics have a clear central authority (even if it tends to lag behind social reality), but this isn't the case in Islam, is it? What are the mechanisms through which Muslims are be able to accommodate new scientific understandings? What would convince you to say that you accept the truth of evolution by natural selection? Why would you not be convinced by distinguished, religious, scientists such as Rana Dajani or Ehab Abouheif?
Hi Takreem
Humans have been created to emulate God, and should try to emulate his qualities and attributes
a very ambitious program...

by the way, this is exactly the temptation formulated by the Snake to Adam and Eve in Genesis 3,5 : "Eritis sicut Deus, scientes bonum et malum" (By eating from the tree) "you will be like God, knowing good and evil"

well, we are still paying the price... thanks anyway, and

best
Original post by mariachi
Hi ash : we both know that this is not the place for extended dialogue

so I will limit myself to recording that your answer is very unsatisfactory. Below the elaborate language, there is nothing: no clear reason for creating the Universe and humankind

Best

Aside from the pointless post, please stick to the format of the thread. Please feel free to ask a follow-up question, should you feel the need to do so. Other threads are also available.
Original post by OxFossil
Thanks. As you say, I am not interested in a debate about evolutionary theory. What you suggest as the "substantial criticism:undefined:" of the "better acquainted" such as your claimed "lack of true transitional species" or alleged "incompleteness of the fossil record", are challenges that have been put to bed a long time ago. No-one with a serious interest in the field believes these are viable objections.

I can see that the conflation of evolution with anti-theism may be a problem in societies where it is difficult to profess views contrary to a theistic orthodoxy. This is why it is not always helpful to identify acceptance of evolution with atheism - there are many, many theists who do not see them as incompatible.

I suppose what I am most interested in is from where "ordinary" Muslims take their lead on matters like this, where they cannot be expected to be familiar with the technical details. For example, Catholics have a clear central authority (even if it tends to lag behind social reality), but this isn't the case in Islam, is it? What are the mechanisms through which Muslims are be able to accommodate new scientific understandings? What would convince you to say that you accept the truth of evolution by natural selection? Why would you not be convinced by distinguished, religious, scientists such as Rana Dajani or Ehab Abouheif?

Follow-up answer:

Regarding the 'ordinary Muslims', they would most likely base their conclusion on the following:

- Is it against religion and contradicting the belief in God?
- Is there any direct contradiction between the proposed idea and the explicit statements of God and Prophet?
- What is the collective view of scholars well acquainted with the Islamic scripture/texts, assessing the proposed idea in light of these? What are the reasons given for these conclusions?
in the case of Ahmadi Muslims, we follow teachings from our leaders (the Caliphs of Ahmadiyyat).

this is another advantage of being an ahmadi - unlike other Muslims, we have a global leader.
Follow-up answer:

Regarding the 'ordinary Muslims', they would most likely base their conclusion on the following:

- Is it against religion and contradicting the belief in God?
- Is there any direct contradiction between the proposed idea and the explicit statements of God and Prophet?
- What is the collective view of scholars well acquainted with the Islamic scripture/texts, assessing the proposed idea in light of these? What are the reasons given for these conclusions?

in the case of Ahmadi Muslims, we follow teachings from our leaders (the Caliphs of Ahmadiyyat).

this is another advantage of being an ahmadi - unlike other Muslims, we have a global leader.

Thanks, those are helpful answers.

@Ash92 There are obviously a number of traditions and variations in the way scholars interpret Islamic scripture/texts. Perhaps you would be interested in a recent discussion with Dr Usama Husan here ?

And maybe I should take out a gift subscription to Nature for those Caliphs, @TakreemAhmad !
(edited 5 years ago)

Question

what other advantages are there
Hi mariachi

Answer:

Yes, but why? Does Allah need to create beings to acknowledge him or did he do all of this just for the fun of it?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yes, but why? Does Allah need to create beings to acknowledge him or did he do all of this just for the fun of it?

Based on the presupposition that Allah is and always has been Ar Rahman and Ar Rahim (the Most Beneficent and the Most Merciful) and his various other names and attributes like the Creator, the Just, etc, then the creation of beings like us with the capacity to choose right and wrong is a natural manifestation of these attributes - so if nothing existed but Allah, He would still be the Most Merciful etc but He would have nothing to be merciful towards; He has chosen to create this creation and thus manifests His attributes. This does not mean that Allah NEEDED to create us - just like an inately loving woman does not need to have a child to be a loving person, she may still have one as a natural manifestation of her loving nature and thus channel her love towards her baby.
Original post by BlinkyBill

Welcome to the Learning About Islam thread

This is a place for everyone to learn about the Islamic religion, in a safe and supportive environment.

If you follow the Islamic faith, feel free to head over to the TSR Islamic Society to chat with like-minded people.

If you would like to discuss or debate the religion of Islam (or any faith), please visit the Religion forum in the Debate and Current Affairs section.

Debate of any kind is not permitted in this thread, or anywhere in the Faith and Spirituality forum.
Posts to that effect in this thread will be removed and warned. This rule pertains to ALL users of this thread.

When posting in this thread, please ensure you are upholding the TSR Community Guidelines, and treating others with respect at all times.

When posting in this thread, please observe the following Q&A format:

If you'd like to ask a question about the faith, title your post with 'Question' clearly at the top.

If you're answering a question, title your post with 'Answer' clear at the top + quote in the post you're addressing.

If you're following up on an existing question or answer, title your post with 'Follow up' clearly at the top.

This format will help ensure your question gets a response, and it's easier to keep track of various conversations taking place. :h:

Spoiler

What’s the fate of unbelievers under Islam.
Original post by Kaffee_1998
What’s the fate of unbelievers under Islam.

A. Unbelievers are mainly of 3 types:

1. Those who hear the message of Islam, see or hear their proofs and choose to reject it.

2. Those who appear to accept Islam on the surface and present themselves as Muslim but conspire to undermine or corrupt Islam or the Muslims.

3. Those who did not know or hear the message of Islam properly.

Type (1) go to Hell has they have rejected God and His message outright. Their good deeds are nullified and therefore it does not matter if they were charitable or kind to their neighbour - they did not give God His rights (to be worshipped and obeyed).

Type (2) go to Hell and have the most severe punishment. They are like the above but they are worse in that they tried to destroy the religion of God from within, so they are the worst of people.

Type (3) is up to God. No one knows definitively what will happen to them - some are of the opinion that God will give them a test on the Day of Judgement as to whether they will submit or reject God. I am of the opinion that they may be judged according to whatever guidance they had received in life with regards to accepting monotheism and good moral conduct, but Allah knows best.
Original post by Zamestaneh
A. Unbelievers are mainly of 3 types:

1. Those who hear the message of Islam, see or hear their proofs and choose to reject it.

2. Those who appear to accept Islam on the surface and present themselves as Muslim but conspire to undermine or corrupt Islam or the Muslims.

3. Those who did not know or hear the message of Islam properly.

Type (1) go to Hell has they have rejected God and His message outright. Their good deeds are nullified and therefore it does not matter if they were charitable or kind to their neighbour - they did not give God His rights (to be worshipped and obeyed).

Type (2) go to Hell and have the most severe punishment. They are like the above but they are worse in that they tried to destroy the religion of God from within, so they are the worst of people.

Type (3) is up to God. No one knows definitively what will happen to them - some are of the opinion that God will give them a test on the Day of Judgement as to whether they will submit or reject God. I am of the opinion that they may be judged according to whatever guidance they had received in life with regards to accepting monotheism and good moral conduct, but Allah knows best.

Well guess I’m off to hell then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending