The Student Room Group

Deferring entry & foundation year

If i dont get into my firm this year (praying i do :redface:) am i allowed to:

- defer my entry for next year and resit or do i have to reapply?
- or do a foundation year at my firm uni this year then start the course next year?
Original post by kiiten
If i dont get into my firm this year (praying i do :redface:) am i allowed to:

- defer my entry for next year and resit or do i have to reapply?
- or do a foundation year at my firm uni this year then start the course next year?

If you didnt meet the condition then your offer ceases, unless they choose to offer you a place anyway. If you have no offer then you have nothing to defer. i.e you can and will have to reapply.

You can ask the uni if you can be considered for the degree plus foundation year assuming they have one.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you didnt meet the condition then your offer ceases, unless they choose to offer you a place anyway. If you have no offer then you have nothing to defer. i.e you can and will have to reapply.

You can ask the uni if you can be considered for the degree plus foundation year assuming they have one.

Thanks so ive looked into it and the foundation year is for people who dont have the correct A levels for the course. It is also 3-4 years. Does this mean i will have to wait 3-4 years until i can do the course i want? And would i still be able to apply as i already have the correct a levels for the course. Also do you know who i should speak to about this i.e. shall i contact the uni on results (if i dont get in) or shall i email/ring someone now?
Original post by kiiten
Thanks so ive looked into it and the foundation year is for people who dont have the correct A levels for the course. It is also 3-4 years. Does this mean i will have to wait 3-4 years until i can do the course i want? And would i still be able to apply as i already have the correct a levels for the course. Also do you know who i should speak to about this i.e. shall i contact the uni on results (if i dont get in) or shall i email/ring someone now?

1. A course with a foundation year usually just an additional year where they get you up to speed and then you start the main degree.

2. It is not a 3-4 year wait.

3. If you already have the correct grades then what would you be worried about? What is it you are waiting for? Which course and why havent you received a decision already?

4. Contact the uni now (phone) and just ask if its possible if you dont get onto the main course to be considered for the course with the foundation year.
Reply 4
1. A course with a foundation year usually just an additional year where they get you up to speed and then you start the main degree.

2. It is not a 3-4 year wait.

3. If you already have the correct grades then what would you be worried about? What is it you are waiting for? Which course and why havent you received a decision already?

4. Contact the uni now (phone) and just ask if its possible if you dont get onto the main course to be considered for the course with the foundation year.

3. Sorry i phrased it badly - ive done the right a levels for the course. Im just waiting to see if i get the results on results day :redface:. What i meant is that would they accept me on a foundation course even though ive done the right a levels? Course is biochem

4. The clearing hotline for the uni opens next week on results day. Other than that there is a general number for people who have already applied - cant seem to find a number for the specific course. What shall i do?
Original post by kiiten
3. Sorry i phrased it badly - ive done the right a levels for the course. Im just waiting to see if i get the results on results day :redface:. What i meant is that would they accept me on a foundation course even though ive done the right a levels? Course is biochem

4. The clearing hotline for the uni opens next week on results day. Other than that there is a general number for people who have already applied - cant seem to find a number for the specific course. What shall i do?

3. Foundation courses is sometimes about not having the right subjects and others at not having high enough grades. Ask them if they will consider you for foundation year if thats what you want. they can only say no.

4. Just contact the number for people who have already applied. tell them your query and ask to be put through to the right section if that isnt them.
Reply 6
3. Foundation courses is sometimes about not having the right subjects and others at not having high enough grades. Ask them if they will consider you for foundation year if thats what you want. they can only say no.

4. Just contact the number for people who have already applied. tell them your query and ask to be put through to the right section if that isnt them.

3. What do you mean by 'they can only say no'. As in they wont accept me regardless?

4. Thanks for your help i will do that tomorrow :redface:
Original post by kiiten
3. What do you mean by 'they can only say no'. As in they wont accept me regardless?

4. Thanks for your help i will do that tomorrow :redface:

As in if you ask to be considered for the foundation degree they could say yes or they could say no. It might already be full.

One phonecall and you will know then you will have to wait and see. If you dont get what you need, then retake and reapply. Plenty of people will be doing that its just a delay, although I understand its disappointing.
Reply 8
As in if you ask to be considered for the foundation degree they could say yes or they could say no. It might already be full.

One phonecall and you will know then you will have to wait and see. If you dont get what you need, then retake and reapply. Plenty of people will be doing that its just a delay, although I understand its disappointing.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Yeah, just hoping i do get in :redface:
Original post by kiiten
Thanks for your help :smile:

Yeah, just hoping i do get in :redface:

Fingers crossed and post back if it all goes pear shaped,
Reply 10
Fingers crossed and post back if it all goes pear shaped,

:redface: Thanks, will you be available if i post here (and tag you) on results day?
Original post by kiiten
:redface: Thanks, will you be available if i post here (and tag you) on results day?

Either, but I will only tell you the same. Dont panic, do retakes if its not what you want or the foundation if that is preferable. the sky doesnt fall in.
Reply 12
Either, but I will only tell you the same. Dont panic, do retakes if its not what you want or the foundation if that is preferable. the sky doesnt fall in.

Also if i DID decide to enter clearing do my actual grades i get on results day have to match the entry requirements for the course in clearing. Sorry if this is a stupid question but i dont know much about clearing as i havent looked into it enough :s-smilie:.
Reply 13
Original post by kiiten
Also if i DID decide to enter clearing do my actual grades i get on results day have to match the entry requirements for the course in clearing. Sorry if this is a stupid question but i dont know much about clearing as i havent looked into it enough :s-smilie:.

Anyone? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending