Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone like to help me with this question?

simplify fully (√x + √9y)(√x - 3√y)

Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain_Ahmed)
    Would anyone like to help me with this question?

simplify fully (√x + √9y)(√x - 3√y)

Thank you for your time.
    The first step would be to use FOIL to expand the brackets as you would normally. Could you please post your workings so that we can see which bit in particular you need help on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    The first step would be to use FOIL to expand the brackets as you would normally. Could you please post your workings so that we can see which bit in particular you need help on?

I need help on simplifying the surds.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you have to expand the brackets first. If you can't do that, then there's no use in knowing how to simplify surds. Also:

sqrt(3) * sqrt(5) = sqrt(3 * 5)

if that helps.

ReputationRep:

It's quite a strange question because the surds don't simplify particularly nicely. EDIT: I misinterpreted question because of missing brackets in OP; it actually simplifies very nicely and is a difference of two squares.

Nevertheless:
    \sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x} is the same as (\sqrt{x})^2, which simplifies to...?

\sqrt{9} is what positive integer...?

and y\sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2} \times \sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2 \times y}, which simplifies to...?

Can you post your working to check?

ReputationRep:
    Is it something like X - 9Y?

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a strange question because the surds don't simplify particularly nicely.

Nevertheless:
    \sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x} is the same as (\sqrt{x})^2, which simplifies to...?

\sqrt{9} is what positive integer...?

and y\sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2} \times \sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2 \times y}, which simplifies to...?

Can you post your working to check?

I can't work it out, i can simplify brackets without surds, but with surds is a whole new thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ᒍack)
    Is it something like X - 9Y?
    #

can you show me how you got that, i don't have the answers, but could you explain please.

ReputationRep:
    I can't work it out, i can simplify brackets without surds, but with surds is a whole new thing...
    Ok, can you at least write out what you've got so far?

eg (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{(9y)})(\sqrt{x}-3\sqrt{y}) \equiv \sqrt{x}(\sqrt{x} -3\sqrt{y}) + 3\sqrt{y}(\sqrt{x}-3\sqrt{y})

That's the first bit of expansion. Where would you go from there? Post your working!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% if it's correct, see if Mr K_man can help ya.

With thing like this you need to know the laws of surds and their rules fairly well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ᒍack)
    I'm not 100% if it's correct, see if Mr K_man can help ya.

With thing like this you need to know the laws of surds and their rules fairly well.
    Your answer is correct, it's just that on this forum we prefer to help students along rather than straight up give an answer, so that they may think about the question, work through the problem themselves and that way learn better. We'd usually only give a worked solution if the student is really struggling even after a while of coaxing. Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution, just don't go straight to the solution next time

ReputationRep:
    Your answer is correct, it's just that on this forum we prefer to help students along rather than straight up give an answer, so that they may think about the question, work through the problem themselves and that way learn better. We'd usually only give a worked solution if the student is really struggling even after a while of coaxing. Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution, just don't go straight to the solution next time
    Yeah honestly I wasn't even too sure myself, I'm not the greatest with surds, and sure thing. When I start in September I reckon i'm going to be posting a lot, it's a good way so you can identify where they're going wrong so they don't do it in the exam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.