The Student Room Group

Colleges for ethnic minorities??

Hi!

So I'm applying to study Law at Oxford but I'm struggling to pick a college :frown: my main three choices are Worcester, Brasenose and St John's (based on seeing them on the open day and them fitting my criteria etc.) but I also want to go to a college where I won't be one of the only black people lol so does anyone know if these colleges are a good fit for ethnic minorities? If not, which ones are?
Any suggestions would be amazingggg and it would help if they fit most of these:
- diverse
- quite big (a lot studying my course)
-can provide accommodation for the duration of the course
- has a good social life etc.
- one of the older/historical colleges

Thanks!

P.S I don't really want to do an open application either as there are a few colleges that I don't want to go to (St Catz, St Anne's, St Hugh's any super small ones etc.)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not qualified to answer your question and you probably already know of this, but just in case you don't, the Oxford African and Caribbean Society might have some useful contacts?
Original post by OxFossil
I'm not qualified to answer your question and you probably already know of this, but just in case you don't, the Oxford African and Caribbean Society might have some useful contacts?

I've tried to get in contact with them in the past but have had no luck :frown: thanks though
Original post by aoife.olujemi
Hi!

So I'm applying to study Law at Oxford but I'm struggling to pick a college :frown: my main three choices are Worcester, Brasenose and St John's (based on seeing them on the open day and them fitting my criteria etc.) but I'm also want to go to college where I won't be one of the only black people lol so does anyone know if these colleges are a good fit for ethnic minorities? If not, which ones are?
Any suggestions would be amazingggg and it would help if they fit most of these:
- diverse

Thanks!

P.S I don't really want to do an open application either as there are a few colleges that I don't want to go to (St Catz, St Anne's, St Hugh's any super small ones etc.)

Thanks for posting your query and thanks also for the thumbs up on our recent Open day and for putting us in your final shortlist. We'll try and answer your queries in turn, starting with diversity.

We don't think there is a large amount of variation between colleges but the only detailed diversity stats we have at college level are for Brasenose.

Among our UK undergraduates, around 14.7% (46 individuals) are ethnic minority (BAME) students: roughly the same proportion as for the 18-24 age group and in line with Oxford as a whole and Cambridge. If overseas students are added, around 1 in 5 are ethnic minorities. There are, however, significant differences if BAME is broken down further with UK Asian/Chinese students more strongly represented than Black British students.

Since 2013 we have admitted on average two Black British or British Mixed (Black) students each year - the categories used in the UK census - which equates to 2% of UK undergraduates and compares with a share of 4% in the UK population as a whole, according to the 2011 census. Law is one of the subjects that consistently attracts a diverse application pool and we have certainly admitted Black British students (including Ayo who is currently on course and was an amazing entertainment director at this year's College May Ball).

We are involved (as are other colleges) in initiatives to further widen diversity including @OxfordACS who we hosted events with this year.

The size of the Law intake is usually ten which is one of the largest in Oxford, reflecting the fact that Brasenose has three Law Tutors.

We can offer UG college accommodation for all years of study either on main site or our Frewin annexe which is located 5 minutes' walk away (all first years are located together on main site).

Social life - check out the alternative prospectus you picked up at the Open Day for information about this.

Older historical college - we are not sure how old we are! The current foundation dates from 1509 but the King's Hall was here long before Brasenose proper got started.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've tried to get in contact with them in the past but have had no luck :frown: thanks though

Can't speak for the other two, but Worcester is pretty good :smile:

It's big, pretty old (has some very old buildings) it has a good social life as oxford colleges go and it offers accommodation for 3 years :smile:

Sadly, Oxford is not hugely ethnically diverse as universities go (although it is improving this diversity). You shouldn't worry about being the only black student at any of the colleges you mention, they are all reasonably large colleges and so each will have at least some black students in all likelihood.

In terms of any one college being a 'good fit' for ethnic minorities I would say that pretty much every college will be similar. My friends at Worcester from ethnic minorities have had no trouble (to my knowledge) fitting in. Indeed one of them was elected JCR president last year.

so, I think you'll get a similar experience at most colleges but Worcester is pretty good, I've had a great time there (should point out I'm not from an ethnic minority) and hopefully you will too if you choose to apply there :smile:

EDIT: seems that Brasenose admissions roughly agrees with me. The most important point is that college to college the experience will be broadly similar :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for posting your query and thanks also for the thumbs up on our recent Open day and for putting us in your final shortlist. We'll try and answer your queries in turn, starting with diversity.

We don't think there is a large amount of variation between colleges but the only detailed diversity stats we have at college level are for Brasenose.

Among our UK undergraduates, around 14.7% (46 individuals) are ethnic minority (BAME) students: roughly the same proportion as for the 18-24 age group and in line with Oxford as a whole and Cambridge. If overseas students are added, around 1 in 5 are ethnic minorities. There are, however, significant differences if BAME is broken down further with UK Asian/Chinese students more strongly represented than Black British students.

Since 2013 we have admitted on average two Black British or British Mixed (Black) students each year - the categories used in the UK census - which equates to 2% of UK undergraduates and compares with a share of 4% in the UK population as a whole, according to the 2011 census. Law is one of the subjects that consistently attracts a diverse application pool and we admitted Black British students (including Ayo who is currently on course and was an amazing entertainment director at this year's College May Ball).

We are involved (as are other colleges) in initiatives to further widen diversity including @OxfordACS who we hosted events with this year.

The size of the Law intake is usually ten which is one of the largest in Oxford, reflecting the fact that Brasenose has three Law Tutors.

We can offer UG college accommodation for all years of study either on main site or our Frewin annexe which is located 5 minutes' walk away (all first years are located together on main site).

Social life - check out the alternative prospectus you picked up at the Open Day for information about this.

Older historical college - we are not sure how old we are! The current foundation dates from 1509 but the King's Hall was here long before Brasenose proper got started.

Thanks for the reply! That's really interesting to know :smile: in regards to the appox. 2 black british/mixed (black) students that are accepted, is that through a quota-like system, or is that just the ones that were chosen as the best choice/an academic fit?
I've also heard that Brasenose is one of the colleges that accepts a higher proportion of public school students. Would that affect my chances since I'm from a state school?
Tagging @The_Lonely_Goatherd here as she went to Worcester :smile:
Original post by MexicanKeith
Can't speak for the other two, but Worcester is pretty good :smile:

It's big, pretty old (has some very old buildings) it has a good social life as oxford colleges go and it offers accommodation for 3 years :smile:

Sadly, Oxford is not hugely ethnically diverse as universities go (although it is improving this diversity). You shouldn't worry about being the only black student at any of the colleges you mention, they are all reasonably large colleges and so each will have at least some black students in all likelihood.

In terms of any one college being a 'good fit' for ethnic minorities I would say that pretty much every college will be similar. My friends at Worcester from ethnic minorities have had no trouble (to my knowledge) fitting in. Indeed one of them was elected JCR president last year.

so, I think you'll get a similar experience at most colleges but Worcester is pretty good, I've had a great time there (should point out I'm not from an ethnic minority) and hopefully you will too if you choose to apply there :smile:

EDIT: seems that Brasenose admissions roughly agrees with me. The most important point is that college to college the experience will be broadly similar :smile:

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying at Worcester??
Thanks for the reply! That's really interesting to know :smile: in regards to the appox. 2 black british/mixed (black) students that are accepted, is that through a quota-like system, or is that just the ones that were chosen as the best choice/an academic fit?
I've also heard that Brasenose is one of the colleges that accepts a higher proportion of public school students. Would that affect my chances since I'm from a state school?

There is no quota - every application is considered individually with reference to the same criteria.

Last year we made 65% of UK offers to state school applicants and statistically this is no different to the University average of 60% (ie we are within a standard deviaiation of the mean). In recent years, the proportion has risen in line with a rise in strong applications from state schools, reflecting the amount of outreach work Brasenose and other colleges do to encourage applications from schools that previously might not have considered Oxbridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
There is no quota - every application is considered individually with reference to the same criteria.

Last year we made 65% of UK offers to state school applicants and statistically this is no different to the University average of 60% (ie we are within a standard deviaiation of the mean). In recent years, the proportion has risen in line with a rise in strong applications from state schools, reflecting the amount of outreach work Brasenose and other colleges do to encourage applications from schools that previously might not have considered Oxbriodge.

Thanks!
Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying at Worcester??

I study Chemistry :smile:
Thanks for the tag, @OxFossil :smile:

Woostarite alumna here, OP. I'm South Asian and came from a comprehensive school from a very ethnically diverse borough in West London. So I'm an ethnic minority, but as has been mentioned Asians are somewhat better represented than those of Afro-Caribbean descent (especially amongst international students).

Just want to reemphasise that you need not worry too much about the issue of diversity - you will be accepted and fit in well into whichever college you choose to apply to, even if (by chance) you do end up being the only person of Afro-Caribbean descent in your year. It's worth also noting that in "my day" (I'm quite a bit older than @MexicanKeith - I was at Woosta from 2007-2010) or perhaps just after I left, one of the OUSU (Oxford University Student Union) Presidents and one of the Woosta JCR (Junior Common Room, i.e. undergrad student body) Presidents (both elected by the university/college students) were of Afro-Caribbean descent. The numbers for this demographic across the uni are sometimes smaller due to various factors, but this is something that Oxford is working hard to on, to attract more BAME applicants.

In the hopefully unlikely event that you'd encounter any racist behaviour, all you would need to do is report it and it would be dealt with very swiftly and seriously - I can assure you of that :yes: It is pretty rare though, afaik. One of my best friends from my Oxford days is of Somali descent and as far as I know, she never had any problems, despite being the only black person in her year group at the time (she was at Keble College, so a different college to me).

If you like the look of Woosta, I'd thoroughly encourage you to go for it! It's a really great college to be a part of, and beautiful grounds of course :biggrin:
Wherever you go you won't be the only black person. If you want a university with diversity, go to one in a big city.
Original post by Olivia97xx
Wherever you go you won't be the only black person. If you want a university with diversity, go to one in a big city.

Actually it is not uncommon to be the only black student in your year at your college and not unheard of to be the only black student in your entire college. This link is a bit old but does contain some striking statistics: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students.
Original post by β™₯Samanthaβ™₯
Actually it is not uncommon to be the only black student in your year at your college and not unheard of to be the only black student in your entire college. This link is a bit old but does contain some striking statistics: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students.

Okay fair enough, it does happen. I do believe that there is more of a chance that they won't be the only black person in their college.

I agree, those statistics are striking; absolutely crazy.
Original post by Olivia97xx
Okay fair enough, it does happen. I do believe that there is more of a chance that they won't be the only black person in their college.

I agree, those statistics are striking; absolutely crazy.

People are generally aware of the lack of diversity at these universities, but even then are not usually aware of how extreme it is. Yeah, you are right that there is a greater chance that they will not be the only black student, but as approximately 1 in 3 do not admit any black students each year, the odds are great enough that if OP wishes to not be the only black student, it is justified to specifically seek out which colleges regularly admit black students. In fact OP claims they don't want to be "one of the only black people" not just the only black person, which means that they will most likely be disappointed bc no matter which college they pick they will always be one of the only black people. When a university on average admits 30 blacks students university-wide (in the most recent years) it is unavoidable.
Hi!

So I'm applying to study Law at Oxford but I'm struggling to pick a college :frown: my main three choices are Worcester, Brasenose and St John's (based on seeing them on the open day and them fitting my criteria etc.) but I also want to go to a college where I won't be one of the only black people lol so does anyone know if these colleges are a good fit for ethnic minorities? If not, which ones are?
- diverse

Thanks!

I'm a former law student at Brasenose (2011-2015) and in my undergrad cohort, four out of nine were from ethnic minorities (one mixed (black mum and white dad), two Chinese and one Indian) :smile: From my anecdotal experience, Law as a subject group seems to be quite diverse.

As mentioned by BrasenoseAdm, Brasenose has one of the largest law intakes so you'll have plenty of subject mates. The tutors are all lovely (in fact, we have tutorial arrangements with Worcester so we go to Worcester for some subjects and vice versa!)

I personally think Brasenose is one of the best in terms of accommodation - they offer accommodation for all years of your course which is smack in the middle of Oxford (either on the main site at Radcliffe Square or at Frewin Annexe next to the Oxford Union).

That said, John's and Worcester are both very lovely colleges as well. I suppose the main downside with Worcester is that it's on the other side of town from the law faculty (Google maps puts it at 17 minutes).
Original post by mishieru07
I'm a former law student at Brasenose (2011-2015) and in my undergrad cohort, four out of nine were from ethnic minorities (one mixed (black mum and white dad), two Chinese and one Indian) :smile: From my anecdotal experience, Law as a subject group seems to be quite diverse.

As mentioned by BrasenoseAdm, Brasenose has one of the largest law intakes so you'll have plenty of subject mates. The tutors are all lovely (in fact, we have tutorial arrangements with Worcester so we go to Worcester for some subjects and vice versa!)

I personally think Brasenose is one of the best in terms of accommodation - they offer accommodation for all years of your course which is smack in the middle of Oxford (either on the main site at Radcliffe Square or at Frewin Annexe next to the Oxford Union).

That said, John's and Worcester are both very lovely colleges as well. I suppose the main downside with Worcester is that it's on the other side of town from the law faculty (Google maps puts it at 17 minutes).

thanks so much for your response! This is super helpful :smile: to your knowledge, does the college have its own debate/law society?
Check out the Worcester Alternative Prospectus on their website. It looks like a Worcester student profiled is very active in the Afro-Carribean Society.
Reply 19
Original post by skitheeast
Check out the Worcester Alternative Prospectus on their website. It looks like a Worcester student profiled is very active in the Afro-Carribean Society.

https://jcr.worc.ox.ac.uk

Just providing a link

Quick Reply

Latest