My NCS Experience :(

Watch
Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just came back from NCS Phase 1 and well it wasn't awful but also it wasn't as great as the NCS people in school hyped it up to be. Im literally crying I never thought I'd see civilisation again. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of coming back to London eventually to see my friends and my group leader who was easy on the eyes i will admit lol

It was literally like living in The Big Brother House, I was completely cut off from the city, and had to find my own entertainment by writing and playing cards. The people on NCS aren't really different from the same people you'd avoid at school, cliques formed very quickly especially within groups. If you're lucky enough you spot people who are simillar to you. There was just drama gossiping and btching. With activities in between. I hated the people I shared a room with we couldn't be anymore opposite. On that note NCS has to stop their system of randomly putting people together for example if you're nervous and timid they'd pair you with the loudest and most intimidating people which doesn't help with social anxiety and their word is final unless you somehow begged enough or someone was willing to swap. Put people together based on likes and interests instead. Because this happened to me and I felt very isolated.

I couldn't even have a lie in we had to wake up at 7 in the morning! Honestly it felt like being on a reality tv show I wanted to call an uber and gtfo of there! The facilities were awful, especially the boys' shower and the toilets Our group also didn't really feel like a group I mean of course we did have a few laughs when we had to come together dor group time or activities, but divides formed quickly and we didnt spend that much time with each other outside of when we compulsory had to see each other.

Honestly, don't expect it to be like how they advertised it on the tin or no matter how much the people in assembly bumlicked it. Just gonna see it through to the end to put it on my CV because if anything I might aswell take that.

I would've enjoyed it sooooo much more if they knew how to matchmake the right people!
Ryanthom100
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh it just depends on luck really. When i went for the first week, we had huts that had plugs in them, about 4 people per hut (glamping). We had to hike for about 4 hours and then have *****y food and sleep in a *****y tipi for a night, that was probably the worst day. But when we had to sleep in the tipi i stayed up all night around a campfire with a girl i met who was in my group, this was the first time we talked, (SOOOOO REGRET NOT GETTING HER NUMBER, GRRRRR) we talked for aaagggggeeees but then some stupid ass boy called Tyrese came along and sat with us who is a prick from high school... But yeah my experience was no where near as bad as u, and hey, if i was into girls as much as i am now i could of had a girlfriend by going to ncs?!
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on where you go. I was very nervous since I'm introverted and high-functioning autistic, but luckily someone else in my group actually spoke to me. My group got on pretty well - there weren't really any cliques within it (to be honest, the whole group was one big clique xD). We did have a wide variety of interests and personalities, but it worked for us. The first week was in bunk-rooms of 8 with en-suite showers, but the second was in tents. At least the showers there were OK. But we did have to build our own shelter for one night in the first week - that was... interesting. Had lots of fun - currently in the middle of Week 3 (I was the last wave).

But a few complaints:
  • Food. I understand they're on a budget, but everything's watered down (or vinegar-ed down in the case of the ketchup). You could tell it was the cheap stuff. The portions were tiny, especially during the 1st week. I was always hungry, and the food in the tuck shop was extremely limited and expensive. We did stop at shops when doing activities, but we weren't allowed to buy any :/.
  • WiFi. None. Some people ended up getting through 10 gigabytes during the first two weeks. At least we have WiFi for weeks 3 and 4.
  • The mountain biking. We had to trundle along a straight tarmac path at about 10mph for 5 miles, then turn around and go back. No fun whatsoever. Plus, the bikes were very unsafe - some people had dodgy brakes, and most had bad gears or chains.
  • Evening activities. The first week's ones were pretty lame. It was either watching a boring movie or sitting there and doing nothing (no phones allowed).
  • Being treated like we were little kids, despite being told we'd be treated as young adults. Seriously? We have to wear our NCS T-shirts at all times because "we need to be identifiable". As if a 16-year-old can't text someone if they get lost. I've had way more freedom on school trips in year 8. Strangely we're allowed to smoke...

Our leaders. One of our leaders is actually quite good, but the other... where should I begin? I think I need a separate list!
  • She constantly acts like she's really clever and we're dumb kids, but really she knows ****-all about anything. She was proven wrong lots of times but stil thinks she's always right.
  • She forces her opinion on us - anyone with a different idea gets told off.
  • Once, we were playing music on a Bluetooth speaker and she forced us to change the song because "it's provocative" (it was Despacito). As if all the other songs aren't provocative. Really it was just because she didn't like the song. We can only play the songs she likes. Another case of abusing her authority.
  • When we had to build our own shelter, we were given £20 as a group to buy food for dinner. She kept on insisting we buy certain food, and didn't let us buy anything she didn't want. In the end, we were starving (even more than we normally do). Later it emerged that she used part of the £20 to buy sweets for herself.
  • She spends more time talking to the leader of another group than paying attention to us.
  • During one of the movie nights, she was talking to that other leader constantly in the background. The sound was really quiet, so we couldn't hear the movie over her yapping. At that point, 95% of us left. One of the boys in our group stayed back because he genuinely wanted to watch it. He asked to talk to those two leaders outside because he felt his evening was being ruined by their chatter - the leaders told him to **** off. Both of them have repeatedly told members of our group to **** off for wanting to talk to them about something. Pretty hypocritical given that they constantly have a go at us for using minor swear words (s-word) not directed at anyone.
  • The leader she always talks to bullied someone in our group because of their hairstyle.
  • During week 3, we were constantly told off for being on our phones even if it was for something we were told to do (e.g. research something). Once, she came into the room, told everyone off as usual, then left the room. As soon as the glass door closed, she pulled out her phone. Biggest hypocrite ever.

There's probably more but I'd have forgotten it. Our group basically turned her into a walking meme - our group-chat is filled with Photoshops of her face and memes. Plus a few plots to dispose of her...
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMindGarage)
Depends on where you go. I was very nervous since I'm introverted and high-functioning autistic, but luckily someone else in my group actually spoke to me. My group got on pretty well - there weren't really any cliques within it (to be honest, the whole group was one big clique xD). We did have a wide variety of interests and personalities, but it worked for us. The first week was in bunk-rooms of 8 with en-suite showers, but the second was in tents. At least the showers there were OK. But we did have to build our own shelter for one night in the first week - that was... interesting. Had lots of fun - currently in the middle of Week 3 (I was the last wave).

But a few complaints:
  • Food. I understand they're on a budget, but everything's watered down (or vinegar-ed down in the case of the ketchup). You could tell it was the cheap stuff. The portions were tiny, especially during the 1st week. I was always hungry, and the food in the tuck shop was extremely limited and expensive. We did stop at shops when doing activities, but we weren't allowed to buy any :/.
  • WiFi. None. Some people ended up getting through 10 gigabytes during the first two weeks. At least we have WiFi for weeks 3 and 4.
  • The mountain biking. We had to trundle along a straight tarmac path at about 10mph for 5 miles, then turn around and go back. No fun whatsoever. Plus, the bikes were very unsafe - some people had dodgy brakes, and most had bad gears or chains.
  • Evening activities. The first week's ones were pretty lame. It was either watching a boring movie or sitting there and doing nothing (no phones allowed).
  • Being treated like we were little kids, despite being told we'd be treated as young adults. Seriously? We have to wear our NCS T-shirts at all times because "we need to be identifiable". As if a 16-year-old can't text someone if they get lost. I've had way more freedom on school trips in year 8. Strangely we're allowed to smoke...

Our leaders. One of our leaders is actually quite good, but the other... where should I begin? I think I need a separate list!
  • She constantly acts like she's really clever and we're dumb kids, but really she knows ****-all about anything. She was proven wrong lots of times but stil thinks she's always right.
  • She forces her opinion on us - anyone with a different idea gets told off.
  • Once, we were playing music on a Bluetooth speaker and she forced us to change the song because "it's provocative" (it was Despacito). As if all the other songs aren't provocative. Really it was just because she didn't like the song. We can only play the songs she likes. Another case of abusing her authority.
  • When we had to build our own shelter, we were given £20 as a group to buy food for dinner. She kept on insisting we buy certain food, and didn't let us buy anything she didn't want. In the end, we were starving (even more than we normally do). Later it emerged that she used part of the £20 to buy sweets for herself.
  • She spends more time talking to the leader of another group than paying attention to us.
  • During one of the movie nights, she was talking to that other leader constantly in the background. The sound was really quiet, so we couldn't hear the movie over her yapping. At that point, 95% of us left. One of the boys in our group stayed back because he genuinely wanted to watch it. He asked to talk to those two leaders outside because he felt his evening was being ruined by their chatter - the leaders told him to **** off. Both of them have repeatedly told members of our group to **** off for wanting to talk to them about something. Pretty hypocritical given that they constantly have a go at us for using minor swear words (s-word) not directed at anyone.
  • The leader she always talks to bullied someone in our group because of their hairstyle.
  • During week 3, we were constantly told off for being on our phones even if it was for something we were told to do (e.g. research something). Once, she came into the room, told everyone off as usual, then left the room. As soon as the glass door closed, she pulled out her phone. Biggest hypocrite ever.

There's probably more but I'd have forgotten it. Our group basically turned her into a walking meme - our group-chat is filled with Photoshops of her face and memes. Plus a few plots to dispose of her...
I really wish I had a group like yours they sound like everything I expected to get out of this but I was dissapointed with what I ended up with if Im being honest, Im currently eating everything in sight since I've gotten back home!
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Popsiclez)
I really wish I had a group like yours they sound like everything I expected to get out of this but I was dissapointed with what I ended up with if Im being honest, Im currently eating everything in sight since I've gotten back home!
From what I saw, most of the groups were somewhat divided. We also had quite a few weirdos from other groups. Someone who joined my room was a chain smoker (on his third pack by the second night!) and was busted for having penknives. I also saw some other pretty damning evidence of what he'd done but I decided I'd keep quiet unless specifically asked (if it had emerged, he'd have been booted out). I decided against snitching since he was constantly going on about trying to kill the person who snitched about the knives. And apparently someone else in my group had a room containing someone who had been in a young offender's institution several times...
Asolare
Report 4 years ago
" I was stuck in the fkng countryside with no wifi/data avaliable"

Lol. Tragic. Wifi is not a right so I don't know why you'd whinge over something like that.

Some of your complaints are legit but whining about how you had to find alternative forms of entertainment, go into the countryside!, go on a hike and get muddy! are just so self-entitled it's ridiculous. I haven't been on NCS but even I know that it's clearly going to involve a lot of outdoor activity and hardly any chance of using the internet. And waking up at 7? Lol please. That's standard for a lot of people.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy it and that it was oversold (like almost everything) but I think you should re-examine your worldview if you consider wifi to be an essential thing you need every day.
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMindGarage)
From what I saw, most of the groups were somewhat divided. We also had quite a few weirdos from other groups. Someone who joined my room was a chain smoker (on his third pack by the second night!) and was busted for having penknives. I also saw some other pretty damning evidence of what he'd done but I decided I'd keep quiet unless specifically asked (if it had emerged, he'd have been booted out). I decided against snitching since he was constantly going on about trying to kill the person who snitched about the knives. And apparently someone else in my group had a room containing someone who had been in a young offender's institution several times...
I just wish NCS paired the right people together instead of tossing it in a computer, randimising it and sticking them in a room together thinking they'll click really well I mean if it doesn't work well in school why would it work here?. They read out our university pairings for phase 2 and yet again Im dissapointed. Really wish I went with a friend now rather then going in blind. I agree 100% about what you said about luck.

The experience and activities itself wasn't bad but the people I had to experience it with was awful if I was with the right people I myself probably would've enjoyed it, which is a major part of NCS. I dont even think any of the groups in my wave has a group chat,
username1222417
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just came back from NCS Phase 1 and well it wasn't awful but also it wasn't as great as the NCS people in school hyped it up to be. Im literally crying I never thought I'd see civilisation again. I was stuck in the fkng countryside with no wifi/data avaliable. I also had to go on the most awful hike yesterday, we stepped all over mud and literal shet, and went across dangerous trails we hiked from our camp to our center for a solid 6 hours just walking across massive fields, and forest trails which were extremely unsafe not to mention how awful the food was. I mean it was diabolical. And camping was crap too. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of coming back to London eventually to see my friends and my group leader who was easy on the eyes i will admit lol,

It was literally like living in The Big Brother House, I was completely cut off from the city, and had to find my own entertainment by writing and playing cards. The people on NCS aren't really different from the same people you'd avoid at school, cliques formed very quickly especially within groups. If you're lucky enough you spot people who are simillar to you. There was just drama gossiping and btching. With activities in between. I hated the people I shared a room with we couldn't be anymore opposite. On that note NCS has to stop their system of randomly putting people together for example if you're nervous and timid they'd pair you with the loudest and most intimidating people which doesn't help with social anxiety and their word is final unless you somehow begged enough or someone was willing to swap. Put people together based on likes and interests instead. Because this happened to me and I felt very isolated.

I couldn't even have a lie in we had to wake up at 7 in the morning! Honestly it felt like being on a reality tv show I wanted to call an uber and gtfo of there! The facilities were awful, especially the boys' shower and the toilets Our group also didn't really feel like a group I mean of course we did have a few laughs when we had to come together dor group time or activities, but divides formed quickly and we didnt spend that much time with each other outside of when we compulsory had to see each other.

Honestly, don't expect it to be like how they advertised it on the tin or no matter how much the people in assembly bumlicked it. Just gonna see it through to the end to put it on my CV because if anything I might aswell take that.

I would've enjoyed it sooooo much more if they knew how to matchmake the right people!
This is similar to the experience i had, but i quit after the first week. I couldn't stand the idea of staying with these people for anything more than a week and I honestly don't regret not completing the whole thing. But I do admit that if things were different I would have enjoyed myself and stayed, because unlike you I LOVED everything expect for the people in my group and all the other people on the trip too. I feel like if you're from london (i'm from south east) there's a GREATER chance you'll be lumped in with people from your school (I joined NCS to meet NEW people) the local area etc. I'm black myself and literally 98% of everybody there was black which is fine but I wanted to meet NEW people from different backgrounds, interests etc whether they were black or white. Everyone was the same - loud mouthed, clique it was irritating. You have to be quick to find the 'quiet ones' and by the time I did it was too late and befriending them was awkward.
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just wish NCS paired the right people together instead of tossing it in a computer, randimising it and sticking them in a room together thinking they'll click really well I mean if it doesn't work well in school why would it work here?. They read out our university pairings for phase 2 and yet again Im dissapointed. Really wish I went with a friend now rather then going in blind. I agree 100% about what you said about luck.

The experience and activities itself wasn't bad but the people I had to experience it with was awful if I was with the right people I myself probably would've enjoyed it, which is a major part of NCS. I dont even think any of the groups in my wave has a group chat,
True. You can ask to be with a friend, but it's still mostly random (I think chosen hubsite for weeks 3-4 has a bearing on it as well). Most of the groups seemed to get on reasonably well and had group chats, but they might well have had hidden problems...
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asolare)
" I was stuck in the fkng countryside with no wifi/data avaliable"

Lol. Tragic. Wifi is not a right so I don't know why you'd whinge over something like that.

Some of your complaints are legit but whining about how you had to find alternative forms of entertainment, go into the countryside!, go on a hike and get muddy! are just so self-entitled it's ridiculous. I haven't been on NCS but even I know that it's clearly going to involve a lot of outdoor activity and hardly any chance of using the internet. And waking up at 7? Lol please. That's standard for a lot of people.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy it and that it was oversold (like almost everything) but I think you should re-examine your worldview if you consider wifi to be an essential thing you need every day.
I didn't say wifi was essiential, if they put paried people correctly I wouldn't have worried about it, I only wanted it to check in with my parents and friends sue me I was feeling homesick, and just something to use just before bed. Also I knew the hike would be dirty, but people were literally exhausted, because our instructor deviated from the set out path and we went through a different more challenging hike then what every other group did. Some people had injured themselves. I was alright with the hike originally but it dragged on longer than kt should've

A teenager waking up at 7am, during the summer holidays is uncommon, you're either very old or ignorant. The fact that you say you!ve mever been on it imples so. This is my first time in the countryside also so sue me if I wasn't used to it. Maybe you should educate yourself first.
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by cathzeta10)
this is similar to the experience i had. but i quite after the first week i couldn't stand the idea of staying with these for anything more than a week and i honestly don't regret going. but i do admit that if things were different i would have enjoyed myself and stayed because unlike you i loved everything expect for the people in my group and all the other people on the trip too. i feel like if you're from london (i'm from south east) there's a GREATER chance you'll be lumped in with people from your school (i joined NCS to meet NEW people) the local area etc. i'm black myself and literally 98% of everybody there was black which is fine but i wanted to meet people from different backgrounds, interests etc whether they were black or white. everyone was the same - loud mouthed, clique it was irritating. you have to be quick to find the 'quiet ones' by the time i did it was awkward trying to befriend them.
Took the words right out of my mouth!
ImReady!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But do Unis really recognise NCS and see it to be good, because ive heard rumours tht some unis dont even knw what NCS is.
And i so really agree with the stupidity in putting the polar opposite people togethor because it just makes stuff worse and doest make stuff work
username1222417
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ImReady!)
But do Unis really recognise NCS and see it to be good, because ive heard rumours tht some unis dont even knw what NCS is.
And i so really agree with the stupidity in putting the polar opposite people togethor because it just makes stuff worse and doest make stuff work
no one knows what it is or recognizes it, never heard of ANY uni EVER mentioning it, EVER. it's just a fun way to spend you're summer holiday tbh, the chance of making friends, get active, get away from parents etc but thats all it is.
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by ImReady!)
I've heard that too just when I thought it couldnt get anymore crap.
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was super lucky in the sense that the people in my group were all slightly introverted, open-minded and generally okay people compared to the other groups who all had cliques and b*tched about the others. The food was really good (okay not REALLY good but pretty good considering it was an outdoor pursuits centre....better than the uni food week 2 anyways) however one downside was the disorganisation of the mentors as well as the immaturity of some of them. My mentor in particular was usually off messing with her other mentor friends whilst our team would willingly spend time together and play a fun twist on the activities we were set. We also did a lot of waiting. Like a LOT of waiting, all of which could have been easily avoided. Week 3+4 could have easily been joined together too.

Lol, I ended up waking up at 5am each day because one of my tent mates kept forgetting to turn their alarms off so I'd always look awfully tired each day. NCS has made me a little concerned at how entitled and rude people the same age of us are tbh.....
Asolare
Report 4 years ago
I didn't say wifi was essiential,
Your entire post makes you sound like you wanted it as an entitlement. So uh yes you did imply it was essential.

I only wanted it to check in with my parents and friends sue me I was feeling homesick, and just something to use just before bed.
Providing you had a signal at any point you could have sent your parents/friends a text; social media is not the only method for chatting to someone. Or more importantly you could have just dealt with the homesickness (as you did) and ride it out.

Also I knew the hike would be dirty, but people were literally exhausted, because our instructor deviated from the set out path and we went through a different more challenging hike then what every other group did. Some people had injured themselves. I was alright with the hike originally but it dragged on longer than kt should've
I mean sure it sucks when something takes longer than it should do and that people got injured, but the NCS is meant to be a challenge so idk why you're surprised.

A teenager waking up at 7am, during the summer holidays is uncommon, you're either very old or ignorant. The fact that you say you!ve mever been on it imples so. This is my first time in the countryside also so sue me if I wasn't used to it. Maybe you should educate yourself first.
Lol I have done plenty of hikes during my early teens during scouts and I know what it's like to be out camping and in the countryside (I also have lived in a village for my entire life and regularly walk in the countryside...). I have also had plenty of periods of my life where I go without wifi/data for a week or more, so calling me 'ignorant' is very misguided.

And as a 16, 17, 18, and 19 year old I woke up on 7am most days and a lot of people I knew did so to get to school/college. If teenagers like these can spend half the year waking up at 7am then there's no reason why they suddenly can't do it again on NCS. Once again it's meant to be a challenge so I'm not so sure why you're acting so distraught over this.
Caesar II
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
>he paid money for elevated worth and MUH ADVENTURES
kek
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asolare)
Your entire post makes you sound like you wanted it as an entitlement. So uh yes you did imply it was essential.

Providing you had a signal at any point you could have sent your parents/friends a text; social media is not the only method for chatting to someone. Or more importantly you could have just dealt with the homesickness (as you did) and ride it out.

I mean sure it sucks when something takes longer than it should do and that people got injured, but the NCS is meant to be a challenge so idk why you're surprised.

Lol I have done plenty of hikes during my early teens during scouts and I know what it's like to be out camping and in the countryside (I also have lived in a village for my entire life and regularly walk in the countryside...). I have also had plenty of periods of my life where I go without wifi/data for a week or more, so calling me 'ignorant' is very misguided.

And as a 16, 17, 18, and 19 year old I woke up on 7am most days and a lot of people I knew did so to get to school/college. If teenagers like these can spend half the year waking up at 7am then there's no reason why they suddenly can't do it again on NCS. Once again it's meant to be a challenge so I'm not so sure why you're acting so distraught over this.
Ok maybe your criticisms are valid and I saw it as worse off because once again I didnt have anyone really to enjoy the experience with so it felt more like a chore than fun.. I didnt mean to come off as entitled
JT_888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just came back from NCS Phase 1 and well it wasn't awful but also it wasn't as great as the NCS people in school hyped it up to be. Im literally crying I never thought I'd see civilisation again. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of coming back to London eventually to see my friends and my group leader who was easy on the eyes i will admit lol

Omg I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and the way NCS place you with people is completely random so inevitably this happens I guess. Have you put forward a formal complaint to NCS, perhaps they could do something? Personally, my NCS experience has a few highs and lows with the lows being some people disrespecting people and it ended up with a huge scene on our wave's Whatsapp group chat :/ .
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Omg I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and the way NCS place you with people is completely random so inevitably this happens I guess. Have you put forward a formal complaint to NCS, perhaps they could do something? Personally, my NCS experience has a few highs and lows with the lows being some people disrespecting people and it ended up with a huge scene on our wave's Whatsapp group chat :/ .
I talked to my parents anout it and I think I'll stick it out for Phase 2 since I want to try it before I knock it if I still dont like it by the end of that I might drop it. Is there any way to change your Uni flatmates for phase 2?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.23%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (75)
28.09%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed