The Student Room Group

A level biology Mitochondrial Ribosomes help

So for my homework I have to write about the types of ribosomes in a mitochondrion - I've been searching for at least an hour and can't find anything. Can anybody please help me? :frown:
Ribosomes synthesis proteins which then break down sugars, giving ATP which is energy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ayyitsophie
So for my homework I have to write about the types of ribosomes in a mitochondrion - I've been searching for at least an hour and can't find anything. Can anybody please help me? :frown:

From what I know about Mitochondria is that it has an outer membrane which is fairly smooth and a folded inner membrane with finger-like projections. It's main function is to take glucose as its energy source and use aerobic respiration so it can take this energy and store in in molecules of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate)

Aerobic respiration: Glucose + Oxygen -> Carbon dioxide + Water + Energy

This is so when the cell needs energy, it can use these ATP molecules. ATP will break its bonds to form ADP (Adenosine diphosphate) and a free phosphate molecule. The energy released when breaking these bonds are used for many different things, eg Muscle contraction / Active transport
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
NVM sorry misread what you said...
Reply 4
Original post by Ayyitsophie

So I think I found what you're looking for, they're called mitochondrial ribosomes (mitoribosomes).

Their function is to perform protein synthesis inside mitochondria. They're the organelles that are responsible for energy conversion and adenosine triphosphate production in eukaryotic cells.

Their structure is very similar to bacteria (believed to be descendants of bacteria) and are classed as a '70S' particle.

Hope that helps somewhat you'll have to search Mitochondrial ribosomes to find out more :P
Reply 5
Original post by ᒍack
So I think I found what you're looking for, they're called mitochondrial ribosomes (mitoribosomes).

Their function is to perform protein synthesis inside mitochondria. They're the organelles that are responsible for energy conversion and adenosine triphosphate production in eukaryotic cells.

Their structure is very similar to bacteria (believed to be descendants of bacteria) and are classed as a '70S' particle.

Hope that helps somewhat you'll have to search Mitochondrial ribosomes to find out more :P

Thankyou! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest