Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
B1256 - Treason and Terrorism (Abolition) Bill 2017, Rt Hon Aph MP

A
B I L L
TO

Repeal the crimes of Treason and Terrorism from the British statute book.

1: Repeals
1) The following acts are repealed:
(A) Treason Act 1351
(B) Treason Act 1702
(C) Treason Act 1708
(D) Treason Act (Ireland) 1537
(E) Crown of Ireland Act 1542
(F) Treason Act 1695
(G) Terrorism Act 2000
(H) Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001
(I) Terrorism Act 2006
(J) Counter-Terrorism Act 2008
(K) Treason Act 1814
(L) Treason Act 1842
(M) Treason Felony Act 1848

2: short title, extent and enactment
1) This Bill may be cited as the Treason and Terrorism (Repeal) Bill 2017,
2) This Bill will extend to the whole of the United Kingdom, and
3) This Bill will be enacted immediately upon Royal Assent.

notes
Treason and Terrorism are both thought crimes, to commit them you have to belive in an ideology that is against the state which means that they take the premise that the state is always right. Although heinous acts like murder have no place in today's society the idea that the murder is worse depending on what you were thinking at the time is laudable and should be rejected.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Am I right in thinking this is hoping to not class treason and terrorism as crimes?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Am I right in thinking this is hoping to not class treason and terrorism as crimes?
Yes, the acts, so murder, GBH ect. Will be crimes but treason and terrorism themselves won't be.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A lot of this has already been done (but better because we replaced rather than just repealed).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3621385

(Original post by Quamquam123)
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
A lot of this has already been done (but better because we replaced rather than just repealed).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3621385
Not better, because treason and terrorism shouldn't be crimes.
And I knew tat bill existed but couldn't find it due to the not working Hansard.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Not better, because treason and terrorism shouldn't be crimes.
And I knew tat bill existed but couldn't find it due to the not working Hansard.
I found the bill via Hansard. The links still work, it's just the formatting that's broken.
username2718212
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. A bill which I could not support and I call on my counterpart, the right honourable TheDefiniteArticle, to oppose this bill with me, in the interests of national security, in terms of terrorism, and proper justice.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Limit this to treason and you have an aye. While the modern Terrorism Acts are largely problematic, they need pruning, not scrapping.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Elizabeth I once said,
"I would not open windows into men's souls."
It has been our longstanding governing principle in this country for centuries. Freedom of speech and thought goes as far as saying: you may believe and say whatever you like, as long as it does not incite the use of violence. As long as you maintain that boundary, you are a free country. The treason and counter-terrorism acts have only ever displayed the ever-growing power of the state; not as a fair and free bureaucracy, but a psychological weapon to dispose of specified ideology, which is a potentially frightening thing.

Aye.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When it comes to terrorism (and treason) my thoughts are this:

Oppressing the act itself is not as effective as oppressing the motives.

Aye.
Now can we please wage ideological warfare?
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is an insult to national security and an olive branch to those who wish to wage war upon our nation.

I could not vote against this bill quicker, and wish to encourage the house to join me in doing so.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The terrorism legislation cannot simply be replaced by the use of other laws such as for murder. As there have been no prosecutions for treason since 1946 and I think terrorism and other legislation could be used, I would be willing to consider a Bill abolishing the concept.

So a Nay as it stands.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Will remove Terrorism in second reading and look to crack that nut with a smaller hammer.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, Britons should not be free to neither plot against their country nor develop thoughts that seek to destroy the things their country stands for, extremes aside with that point.
TCFactor
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. A stupid bill.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
No, Britons should not be free to neither plot against their country nor develop thoughts that seek to destroy the things their country stands for, extremes aside with that point.
would you say the same about North Korea? what about Syria? this issue with treason is that it assumes the state is fair and just, which, if it is treason will likely fail but the idea that beliving the state isn't always right and undermining the state as a result is illegal is stupid.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
would you say the same about North Korea? what about Syria? this issue with treason is that it assumes the state is fair and just, which, if it is treason will likely fail but the idea that beliving the state isn't always right and undermining the state as a result is illegal is stupid.
That is why I said ignoring the extremes in my comment.
username2718212
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That submission in itself is just no. The state is not always right, no. But nothing can always be right in its approach. This does not give the people the right to plot against their government. They can bring the governmenf to accounr by normal means, non-violent means. This bill seeks to make treason and terrorism seem like "everyday occurrences" which they definitely are not. Murder, grievous and actual bodily harm can be everyday occurences. Plotting against the government and seeking to do the country harm through acts of terrorism aren't everyday occurences. The right honourable gentleman has no concept of justice and I would be sincerely concerned if this bill were to pass.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
That is why I said ignoring the extremes in my comment.
which is why people should be free to plot against the country but if they harm people then they should be held accountable for that.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Absolutely ridiculous. Its a Nay from me
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (13)
19.12%
Better than expected (16)
23.53%
Worse than expected (39)
57.35%

Watched Threads