B1255 - Conversion Therapy (Regulation) Bill 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1255 - Conversion Therapy (Regulation) Bill 2017, TSR Government
An Act regulating the conversion therapy industry and withholding access to people under the age of 18.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

For the purposes of this Act-
(i) 'conversion therapy' refers to therapy provided with the aim of ‘correcting’ perceived abnormalities in sexuality,
(ii) 'publicly funded' refers to an institution that is either wholly funded by or receives any sum of state funding,
(iii) 'sexuality' refers to a vast spectrum of sexual preferences, excluding paedophilia.

1. Regulation of Conversion Therapy
(1) It is an offence for private, public or religious bodies to provide, encourage or promote conversion therapy services to/for a person under the age of 18.

2. Implementation
(1) The implementation and enforcement of this Act should be the sole responsibility of the local authorities of the UK.
(2) No one under the age of 18 shall undergo conversion therapy; services to these individuals must be refused and either-
(i) a voluntary helpline number must be provided to them
(ii) a voluntary session with a counsellor is offered
(3) No publicly-funded bodies shall provide any conversion therapy services for any ages, the state shall not subsidise the industry.
(4) Violation of this Act by providing services is punishable by a fine of up to £10,000 per individual provided with an illegal service.

3. Exemptions
(1) Parents or other family members encouraging the use of illegal conversion therapy services, as a first offence, are not subject to punishment as this may be more emotionally traumatic for the minor.

4. Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Conversion Therapy Regulation Act 2017
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes: 'Therapy' provided with the aim of ‘correcting’ perceived abnormalities in sexuality has no substantive or conclusive evidence to back up its application and assertion that it works. The therapy not only is sometimes painful and traumatic (depending on the methods) but also reinforces the idea that homosexuality is wrong or socially undesirable. Whilst adults are allowed to undergo this therapy as a matter of choice; under 18s are far more emotionally impressonable; hence they should wait until they can make an informed decision on whether they want to undertake this 'therapy' or not. This Act also decreases cases of possible coercion by adults on minors to undergo the therapy.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
B1255 - Conversion Therapy (Regulation) Bill 2017
An Act regulating the conversion therapy industry and withholding access to people under the age of 18.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

For the purposes of this Act-
(i) 'conversion therapy' refers to therapy provided with the aim of ‘correcting’ perceived abnormalities in sexuality,
(ii) 'publicly funded' refers to an institution that is either wholly funded by or receives any sum of state funding,
(iii) 'sexuality' refers to a vast spectrum of sexual preferences, excluding paedophilia.

1. Regulation of Conversion Therapy
(1) It is an offence for private, public or religious bodies to provide, encourage or promote conversion therapy services to/for a person under the age of 18.

2. Implementation
(1) The implementation and enforcement of this Act should be the sole responsibility of the local authorities of the UK.
(2) No one under the age of 18 shall undergo conversion therapy; services to these individuals must be refused and either-
(i) a voluntary helpline number must be provided to them
(ii) a voluntary session with a counsellor is offered
(3) No publicly-funded bodies shall provide any conversion therapy services for any ages, the state shall not subsidise the industry.
(4) Violation of this Act by providing services is punishable by a fine of up to £10,000 per individual provided with an illegal service.

3. Exemptions
(1) Parents or other family members encouraging the use of illegal conversion therapy services, as a first offence, are not subject to punishment as this may be more emotionally traumatic for the minor.

4. Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Conversion Therapy Regulation Act 2017
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes: 'Therapy' provided with the aim of ‘correcting’ perceived abnormalities in sexuality has no substantive or conclusive evidence to back up its application and assertion that it works. The therapy not only is sometimes painful and traumatic (depending on the methods) but also reinforces the idea that homosexuality is wrong or socially undesirable. Whilst adults are allowed to undergo this therapy as a matter of choice; under 18s are far more emotionally impressonable; hence they should wait until they can make an informed decision on whether they want to undertake this 'therapy' or not. This Act also decreases cases of possible coercion by adults on minors to undergo the therapy.
Proposal?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
4.2 trails off.

I like the bill. Hope we have a nice debate over it, not too much of a consensus I like sometimes.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A strong Aye from me, unless somebody can convince me of a flaw in this bill.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It needs some corrections which I am sure a Second reading can do.

The basic principle behind the Bill has my support.
username2768016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, this is a very welcome development.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does this bill refer to conversion from being gay to straight or from one sex to another? Either way, it should apply to the other one also

aye
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Using the reasoning of contained in the notes of whilst adults are allowed to undergo this therapy as a matter of choice; under 18s are far more emotionally impressonable; hence they should wait until they can make an informed decision on whether they want to undertake this 'therapy' or not. This Act also decreases cases of possible coercion by adults on minors to undergo the therapy, I would urge members to demand treatment for transgender individuals is included in this bill as a condition for support.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Using the reasoning of contained in the notes of whilst adults are allowed to undergo this therapy as a matter of choice; under 18s are far more emotionally impressonable; hence they should wait until they can make an informed decision on whether they want to undertake this 'therapy' or not. This Act also decreases cases of possible coercion by adults on minors to undergo the therapy, I would urge members to demand treatment for transgender individuals is included in this bill as a condition for support.
I shall join you in doing so. My support for this bill will be conditional to these demands being met.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've hit the nail on the head there, I would also require this condition to be met
username2585877
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
aye
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think this is a very good bill but you will need to amend it to correct the point that Nigel has highlighted. I'd suggest just amending it for Division though.
Gladstone1885
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The idea that transgenderism is a mental illness is not supported by any scientific evidence.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gladstone1885)
The idea that transgenderism is a mental illness is not supported by any scientific evidence.
This is not about transgender being a mental illness, this is about placing an age limit on treatment to protect children whose parents could be coercing them to undertake treatment and making sure children make an informed decision that will change their lives forever.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that a Bill about physical treatment should be separate. This Bill covers non physical treatment and the word perceived suggests to me that it covers all LGBT issues where a parent or parents may wish their child to be heterosexual and identify with the gender on their birth certificate.
username2768016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nigel Farage MEP This bill covers conversion therapy; banning gender transition for under-18s is something that is better addressed in another bill concerning gender identity rather than sexual orientation. I am in agreement with you, however.
Justin.Reid2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This act may deter the forced treatment for young LGB people in Muslim communities.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Justin.Reid2000)
This act may deter the forced treatment for young LGB people in Muslim communities.
And some pentecostal Christian ones.
Justin.Reid2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
And some pentecostal Christian ones.
Absoloutly! But it is clear that Islam would be most affected.
Christianity has evolved very well.
TCFactor
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have a bad memory. Might have voted for this. Aye.
If I did do it b4. Don't count this.
Don't think I did.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads