The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2018! Watch

cedrico tresor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply.

I guess I will start my research on these firms in due time.

(Original post by J-SP)
Check your eligibility first. Some summer schemes will only be for penultimate year undegraduates. If firms have multiple schemes you might be eligible for one but not the other.

I wouldn't say one vac scheme is more in demand than the other. Varies between firms. Unless the firm says otherwise, there is nothing stopping you from applying for a vac scheme, being unsuccessful but then applying for a TC with them in the same cycle.
ES123456
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone applied to Morrison Foerster today? Their applications are supposed to open 1st September but I can't find an opening?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please don't rush into applying as soon as an opportunity opens.

There is no benefit in applying in the first few days/week of an application being open. Too many people rush into applying, don't do enough research, don't think about how their application might be stronger in a month or two.

If a firm is recruiting on a rolling basis, in vast majority of cases, if you apply in the first two thirds of the application window you will be fine.

The only benefit is if you are applying really early as part of a time management strategy. But make sure your application is as strong as it can be before submitting.
ES123456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Please don't rush into applying as soon as an opportunity opens.

There is no benefit in applying in the first few days/week of an application being open. Too many people rush into applying, don't do enough research, don't think about how their application might be stronger in a month or two.

If a firm is recruiting on a rolling basis, in vast majority of cases, if you apply in the first two thirds of the application window you will be fine.

The only benefit is if you are applying really early as part of a time management strategy. But make sure your application is as strong as it can be before submitting.
I have been researching this firm for the past month and want to get the application done before October so I can focus on other firms. No point trying to juggle lots of applications at once
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ES123456)
I have been researching this firm for the past month and want to get the application done before October so I can focus on other firms. No point trying to juggle lots of applications at once
That's good - just don't feel you have to "submit" it until you are ready. You might find out that going to a couple of careers events in the Autumn might really strengthen your position/knowledge.
ES123456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
That's good - just don't feel you have to "submit" it until you are ready. You might find out that going to a couple of careers events in the Autumn might really strengthen your position/knowledge.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
tee beau
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys im currently at UOB. my alevels werent the best ABB. Didnt really know i wanted to go into corp law till early this year. Im a brand ambassador for Taylor Wessing too. Ill be applying for vac schemes but unsure what firms to aim for. I know some are going to be out of reach with AAB rrquirements. My first year grades are all 2.1's. 62 63 64 66 70 65. Think im aiming for mid firms and CC HSF magic circle due to being on the rare recruitment discuss programme. Ill be attending a few open days in the autumn to strengthen my app. I hope we can all help each other out! Also worked part time since 17, volunteer as a tutor and mentor. And should have a placement coming up with the environment agency soon.
I also run a commerical awareness blog if any of you want to get involved message me.
tee beau
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes i like the idea of a google doc!
QUOTE=reced;73490618]2017 was my first cycle. Got a few ACs but they amounted to nothing & I ended up accepting a non-legal internship over the summer. Cautiously optimistic about my prospects this time round, though.

Best of luck to you all!

(Sidenote: Should we prepare a Google doc to track progress?)[/QUOTE]
ES123456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tee beau)
Hey guys im currently at UOB. my alevels werent the best ABB. Didnt really know i wanted to go into corp law till early this year. Im a brand ambassador for Taylor Wessing too. Ill be applying for vac schemes but unsure what firms to aim for. I know some are going to be out of reach with AAB rrquirements. My first year grades are all 2.1's. 62 63 64 66 70 65. Think im aiming for mid firms and CC HSF magic circle due to being on the rare recruitment discuss programme. Ill be attending a few open days in the autumn to strengthen my app. I hope we can all help each other out! Also worked part time since 17, volunteer as a tutor and mentor. And should have a placement coming up with the environment agency soon.
I also run a commerical awareness blog if any of you want to get involved message me.
Hey, the commercial awareness blog sounds good! do you have a link? I'm also a UoB student!
tee beau
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, the link is http://commercialfluencyforstudents.wordpress.com
And what year are you in?
Hey, the commercial awareness blog sounds good! do you have a link? I'm also a UoB student!
ES123456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, the link is http://commercialfluencyforstudents.wordpress.com
And what year are you in?
I'm in third year (doing my year abroad) then I have final year and I'm doing a non-law degree, how about you?
tee beau
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On fair enough. Im in second year doing law x
I'm in third year (doing my year abroad) then I have final year and I'm doing a non-law degree, how about you?
Digsy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone have any idea what Magic Circle firms look for in their applications? I've done multiple vacation schemes and 6 or 7 interviews but they've all been with US firms. I get rejected from MC firms at the first stage.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Digsy)
Does anyone have any idea what Magic Circle firms look for in their applications? I've done multiple vacation schemes and 6 or 7 interviews but they've all been with US firms. I get rejected from MC firms at the first stage.
If all your vac schemes were with US firms they could be wondering why you are now applying for MC firms. They can be concerned that your application is a back up plan where you have been unsuccessful with US firms and that you will jump ship to a US firm as soon as you qualify.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Investigating
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

When some firms ask for A-Level grades AAB as a minimum, but my grades were A*AC – equivalent UCAS points – is this the acceptable minimum? Some firms only allow you to check the box, accepting you have achieved the AAB minimum so there is no room for disclosure. What do you guys think?

Thanks
tee beau
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you sure its not the tests why youre heing rejected? otherwise its just grades, extra curriculars and you need to make sure the applications are very individual. make sure youve gone to their open days too
(Original post by Digsy)
tee beau
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
try the mitigating circumstances section or email grad recruitment
(Original post by Investigating)
Hi everyone,

When some firms ask for A-Level grades AAB as a minimum, but my grades were A*AC (equivalent UCAS) points, is this the acceptable minimum? Some firms only allow you to check the box, accepting you have achieved the AAB minimum so there is no room for disclosure. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Digsy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
If all your vac schemes were with US firms they could be wondering why you are now applying for MC firms. They can be concerned that your application is a back up plan where you have been unsuccessful with US firms and that you will jump ship to a US firm as soon as you qualify.
I did my vac schemes this summer and applied for both US and MC firms in 2016/17 to cast my net wide open. I also tailored my applications to MC and mentioned their large intakes. I am at a loss because at all my vacation schemes, about 50%+ of the candidates had already done at least one vac scheme with a MC firm or had one lined up.

Are you sure its not the tests why youre heing rejected? otherwise its just grades, extra curriculars and you need to make sure the applications are very individual. make sure youve gone to their open days too
For CC I didn't even get to a test, Allen & Overy and Slaughters don't have tests. I failed Links' Watson Glaser and Freshfields don't specify if you're rejected based on your application or test. Even then, I've passed Watson Glasers for the likes of Weil and I score pretty decently for practice tests.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The thing about applying because of a larger intake is a bit of a superficial reason to apply to a MC firm (if that was your own explanation).

It's hard to know what you are falling down on without seeing an example though.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Digsy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
The thing about applying because of a larger intake is a bit of a superficial reason to apply to a MC firm (if that was your own explanation).

It's hard to know what you are falling down on without seeing an example though.
I can show you but I don't want to inconvenience you. I imagine a lot of people from this thread ask you for feedback.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads