The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2018! Watch

ES123456
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know the Magic Circle law firm vac schemes are incredibly competitive, but I was wondering if i had any chance of securing a place? I'm a non-law student and unfortunately have never had any legal work experience as I have only really decided this past year that I definitely want to go into this profession. I have evidence of interest in commercial law (in a debating club and I've had to translate and research German tenancy/learning agreements for my year abroad and I am currently drafting a sublease contract), but would this be enough?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ES123456)
I know the Magic Circle law firm vac schemes are incredibly competitive, but I was wondering if i had any chance of securing a place? I'm a non-law student and unfortunately have never had any legal work experience as I have only really decided this past year that I definitely want to go into this profession. I have evidence of interest in commercial law (in a debating club and I've had to translate and research German tenancy/learning agreements for my year abroad and I am currently drafting a sublease contract), but would this be enough?
It's impossible to say on this alone - so many other factors will be taken into consideration.

If your legal work experience is "light" then make sure you spend time and effort in making sure you motivation for the day job, career and firm are all crystal clear and well evidenced with other aspects outside of your work experience. Also consider open days or events like CityLawLive to supplement your CV as a way of building up that evidence.
MasterThis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ES123456)
I didn't have much experience and I got invited for interviews at both the magic circle firms I applied for. It just depends on how you explain your motivations for applying and your experiences.
LegalHero
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm happy to give advice to anyone who wants it. I successfully received VS offers from Baker McKenzie, Mayer Brown and White & Case.
bluedraycott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LegalHero)
I'm happy to give advice to anyone who wants it. I successfully received VS offers from Baker McKenzie, Mayer Brown and White & Case.
Heya I'm thinking of applying to Baker and White & Case, can I pm you?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dafolabi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any Vac Schemes for first year? Any advice for incoming Law student?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dafolabi)
Any Vac Schemes for first year? Any advice for incoming Law student?
Generally the recruitment for these tend to be later in the academic year:

https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-ca...cation-schemes

Probably worthwhile going to your university's legal careers fair and seeing the firms there to find out what opportunities they are offering to first years. There will be a whole host of open days/workshops/campus ambassador roles that you can apply to in your first year.
NatTBB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Graduated 2016 with 1st from Exeter, did a couple of extracurriculars and a 2 month internship abroad. Chances of getting something more formal this year? I'm generally looking at the more TMT focused firms like Fieldfisher? I feel my experience is a bit 'light' as it were.

Edit: I'm mostly worried about having to compete with people who have all the society leadership positions, every vac scheme under the sun, mooting etc.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NatTBB)
Graduated 2016 with 1st from Exeter, did a couple of extracurriculars and a 2 month internship abroad. Chances of getting something more formal this year? I'm generally looking at the more TMT focused firms like Fieldfisher? I feel my experience is a bit 'light' as it were.

Edit: I'm mostly worried about having to compete with people who have all the society leadership positions, every vac scheme under the sun, mooting etc.
Depends what you have been up to since 2016, what your extra curriculars are (particularly how long you did them, level of involvement).

It's not really about competing with everyone who has a leadership role/vac schemes, and mooting is just one extra curricular (and some argue a not very imaginative one).

You've got a first which will make you stand out against most applicants - you just need to ensure you sell the other parts well, particularly your career motivation and why TMT in particular.
NatTBB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Depends what you have been up to since 2016, what your extra curriculars are (particularly how long you did them, level of involvement).

It's not really about competing with everyone who has a leadership role/vac schemes, and mooting is just one extra curricular (and some argue a not very imaginative one).

You've got a first which will make you stand out against most applicants - you just need to ensure you sell the other parts well, particularly your career motivation and why TMT in particular.
Thank you, I was under the impression that degree grade doesn't matter that much, as long as you got the minimum. Is that not the case?

My extracurriculars were Innocence Project, Amicus ALJ fundraising, and I was part of the team that started our criminal appeals project. Since uni I was working a casual job to save up for my internship. Since I got back in July, I've been travelling and am now looking for a job.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, I was under the impression that degree grade doesn't matter that much, as long as you got the minimum. Is that not the case?

My extracurriculars were Innocence Project, Amicus ALJ fundraising, and I was part of the team that started our criminal appeals project. Since uni I was working a casual job to save up for my internship. Since I got back in July, I've been travelling and am now looking for a job.
Most firms will want to see strong academics. If you have a first, this is a major advantage you have. Academics aren't the be all and end all, but it will stand out compared to all the 2.1s.

But plenty of candidates with the 2.1s will have other strengths.
NatTBB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Most firms will want to see strong academics. If you have a first, this is a major advantage you have. Academics aren't the be all and end all, but it will stand out compared to all the 2.1s.

But plenty of candidates with the 2.1s will have other strengths.
How can I make myself stand out over them on the forms? What level of commercial awareness and firm knowledge are they looking for? I've been unsuccessful in previous years and I don't know where I'm lacking except maybe the psychometric tests.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How can I make myself stand out over them on the forms? What level of commercial awareness and firm knowledge are they looking for? I've been unsuccessful in previous years and I don't know where I'm lacking except maybe the psychometric tests.
It isn't about commercial awareness or knowledge of the firm really (unless explicitly asked). It's more about showing your motivation for the commercial matters and the firm. Where most people go wrong is they forget the application form is about them, not about the career/firm they are trying to get to.
NatTBB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
It isn't about commercial awareness or knowledge of the firm really (unless explicitly asked). It's more about showing your motivation for the commercial matters and the firm. Where most people go wrong is they forget the application form is about them, not about the career/firm they are trying to get to.
Ah, thank you very much for your help. One last thing, is it worth going for winter vac schemes as a graduate, or should I stick to TC apps? The whole process seems so overwhelming and I am really worried i'm not good enough for the recruitment process.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah, thank you very much for your help. One last thing, is it worth going for winter vac schemes as a graduate, or should I stick to TC apps? The whole process seems so overwhelming and I am really worried i'm not good enough for the recruitment process.
If you think this is overwhelming, then you are going to be in for a bit of a shock for the day job.

If it was me, I'd be applying for vacation schemes alongside training contracts. Firm some firms it will make sense to apply for vac schemes where they recruit heavily/solely from them, others given deadlines/eligibility will mean applying for a TC will be the better option.

Nothing you have said (apart from the overwhelming part) makes me concerned that you aren't good enough. But you have only provided some really basic information and any candidate will be assessed on a whole multitude of factors. You just need to try and hit as many of those factors as possible.
Part A
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm starting a master's (non-law) and am in the process of applying for vac schemes. However, three MC firms - CC, S&M and FF - don't do vac scheme for finalists - would those with experience recommend just applying for an open day/workshop there and then directly for TC?

Is it even worth applying direct for TC without any law vac schemes on my CV (which is otherwise really strong)?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Part A)
I'm starting a master's (non-law) and am in the process of applying for vac schemes. However, three MC firms - CC, S&M and FF - don't do vac scheme for finalists - would those with experience recommend just applying for an open day/workshop there and then directly for TC?

Is it even worth applying direct for TC without any law vac schemes on my CV (which is otherwise really strong)?
The open days/workshops will help get you in front of the firms and fill the gap of no evidence of pursuing the career on your CV. It's a no brainer to apply for them first and then go for a TC.
Part A
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
The open days/workshops will help get you in front of the firms and fill the gap of no evidence of pursuing the career on your CV. It's a no brainer to apply for them first and then go for a TC.
Yep makes sense, thank you!
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Part A)
Yep makes sense, thank you!
Open Days/workshops can be competitive, so if you don't get them apply for the TCs anyway if you think the rest of your application is strong and you can nail the "why law/why us" questions (which will be scrutinised much more for someone with no legal work experience).

I always recommend the Open Days/Workshops as it helps your decision making process too - you will get a feel for the firm before having to make a 4 year commitment to them.
Part A
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Open Days/workshops can be competitive, so if you don't get them apply for the TCs anyway if you think the rest of your application is strong and you can nail the "why law/why us" questions (which will be scrutinised much more for someone with no legal work experience).

I always recommend the Open Days/Workshops as it helps your decision making process too - you will get a feel for the firm before having to make a 4 year commitment to them.
Yep my housemate (non-law) applied to and directly got a TC without having done a vac scheme at a MC firm, hence why I was wondering. Will apply for open days/workshops though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed