The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2018! Watch

VSRex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone done the Kennedys video interview?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
utopia2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

Seeking some advice please! I have two non-law degrees, BA from a RG uni (1st) and Masters from Oxford (distinction and top mark in year). Since graduating in August 2016 I've been working in an arts related industry. I now want to move into law. Other than contract related work at my job (which is a large proportion of my workload) I have no legal experience. My entire CV and experience have very much been gearing towards my current career.

I'm applying to VS and TCs, but I'm aware that most MS and US firms close TC apps in Jan. 1) how likely is it that I'll get a VS? 2) if don't get a VS, how likely is it that I'll get a TC at a top firm, esp. as a career changer?

And 3) is it worth acknowledging this change in my apps, as I'm only 1.5 years into current career?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
jh1106
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all, I am a final year master's student applying for vacation schemes with a 2.1 in law (so far). I know which firm I want to work with (HSF - have attended many workshops, open days, etc.), but have so far been unable to secure a vacation scheme in my first year (I'm doing a two-year long master course). I do have some legal internships from my home country under my belt to talk about though. I was wondering if it is okay to apply to the same firm for winter, spring and summer vacation schemes, or is that too much? Should I focus on one vacation scheme per firm, and if so, which cycle is the best to apply for? Ideally I would like to gain as many vacation schemes as possible before applying for a training contract. Thank you in advance.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by utopia2)
Hi all,

Seeking some advice please! I have two non-law degrees, BA from a RG uni (1st) and Masters from Oxford (distinction and top mark in year). Since graduating in August 2016 I've been working in an arts related industry. I now want to move into law. Other than contract related work at my job (which is a large proportion of my workload) I have no legal experience. My entire CV and experience have very much been gearing towards my current career.

I'm applying to VS and TCs, but I'm aware that most MS and US firms close TC apps in Jan. 1) how likely is it that I'll get a VS? 2) if don't get a VS, how likely is it that I'll get a TC at a top firm, esp. as a career changer?

And 3) is it worth acknowledging this change in my apps, as I'm only 1.5 years into current career?

Impossible to say what your chances are based on that information alone.

Plenty of career changers come to law

Yes - deal with the elephant in the room of your application to explain the change of heart and why you are more sure Law is definitely going to be for you.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jh1106)
Hello all, I am a final year master's student applying for vacation schemes with a 2.1 in law (so far). I know which firm I want to work with (HSF - have attended many workshops, open days, etc.), but have so far been unable to secure a vacation scheme in my first year (I'm doing a two-year long master course). I do have some legal internships from my home country under my belt to talk about though. I was wondering if it is okay to apply to the same firm for winter, spring and summer vacation schemes, or is that too much? Should I focus on one vacation scheme per firm, and if so, which cycle is the best to apply for? Ideally I would like to gain as many vacation schemes as possible before applying for a training contract. Thank you in advance.
Depends on the firm's policy - many will only allow one app at a time, some will only allow one app per cycle. Some schemes will only be open to certain year groups. Check all those details and then make a decision

But if you can apply to all vacancies at the same time, there is little point in doing so. If the first application is unsuccessful, they are likely to all be. At least you can try to improve applications along the way by selecting the best opportunity for you and depending on what the firm can offer/when.
jh1106
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Depends on the firm's policy - many will only allow one app at a time, some will only allow one app per cycle. Some schemes will only be open to certain year groups. Check all those details and then make a decision

But if you can apply to all vacancies at the same time, there is little point in doing so. If the first application is unsuccessful, they are likely to all be. At least you can try to improve applications along the way by selecting the best opportunity for you and depending on what the firm can offer/when.
Thank you for the feedback!
Yiro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys which firms do winter schemes?

I'm not really looking at Magic/ Silver circle but more at large international firms (e.g. Stephenson Harwood). I've got down Squire Patton Boggs and Kennedys right now. I have looked at LawCareers.Net but wondered if anyone knows any that's not on there?

Thanks in advance.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yiro)

I'm not really looking at Magic/ Silver circle but more at large international firms (e.g. Stephenson Harwood). I've got down Squire Patton Boggs and Kennedys right now. I have looked at LawCareers.Net but wondered if anyone knows any that's not on there?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law...heme-deadlines

States what is open now and what deadlines are coming up.
username3011808
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yiro)

Thanks in advance.
I'm applying to Squire Patton Boggs also! Might I ask whether you are law/non-law and where you study? (just curious)
username1150460
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

(Original post by J-SP)

Yes - deal with the elephant in the room of your application to explain the change of heart and why you are more sure Law is definitely going to be for you.
Also, see if you can get unofficial legal experience in the meantime so you can show that you're familiar with what lawyers do.
username2997012
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all,

I have two questions:

1) For the Mishcon de Reya Sports Law Academy is part of the application process a recorded video interview? If yes, does anyone have any idea what the questions are like?

2) In regards to legal cheek/aspiring solicitors events/open days does anyone think they are worth it (like do you think it has helped you secure a vacation scheme/training contract) just because some are far to travel to and I have a job and so would need to miss some days off work to attend them...
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mrsyes)
Hello all,

I have two questions:

1) For the Mishcon de Reya Sports Law Academy is part of the application process a recorded video interview? If yes, does anyone have any idea what the questions are like?

2) In regards to legal cheek/aspiring solicitors events/open days does anyone think they are worth it (like do you think it has helped you secure a vacation scheme/training contract) just because some are far to travel to and I have a job and so would need to miss some days off work to attend them...
2) I'd recommend investing a day or two into open days for AS events. You typically get your travel expenses covered for them too. AS have some pretty impressive stats of the number of people they have helped secure placements/internships and training contracts. Open days tend to be a strategic way for firms to try and spot future trainees.

You don't have to go to all of them, just select one or two with firms you really want to impress.
Part A
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interview invite for Jones Day Winter VS (applied 1-2 weeks ago)
username3011808
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Part A)
Interview invite for Jones Day Winter VS (applied 1-2 weeks ago)
Congrats! I got rejected today. May I ask what you study/how much experience you have?
Part A
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MKUltra123)
Congrats! I got rejected today. May I ask what you study/how much experience you have?
Sorry to hear that, best of luck with other apps! I'm doing a non-law related master's at Oxbridge. No law experience previously but strong commercial experience.
username3011808
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Part A)
Sorry to hear that, best of luck with other apps! I'm doing a non-law related master's at Oxbridge. No law experience previously but strong commercial experience.
Ooh nice. I'm hoping to do a non-law masters at Oxford too if i don't get anything. What is your master's in?
Part A
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MKUltra123)
Ooh nice. I'm hoping to do a non-law masters at Oxford too if i don't get anything. What is your master's in?
Would rather not disclose on here, feel free to PM!
utopia2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by likezerogravity)
Also, see if you can get unofficial legal experience in the meantime so you can show that you're familiar with what lawyers do.
Thank you for this! What kind of thing would you recommend?

(Original post by J-SP)

Thank you for your help!
lawstudent95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VSRex)
Has anyone done the Kennedys video interview?
Congrats on the invite. Can I ask when you applied?
username1150460
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for this! What kind of thing would you recommend?

Thank you for your help!
Write in to local firms or courts. It's best if they are in similar types of law that you want to go into, but any experience is good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed