Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

medical textbooks and equipment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone currently doing medicine tell me how much exactly they spend on textbooks and equipment each year and also whether the university expects us to come equiped with anything (i havnt heard from my uni yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    Can anyone currently doing medicine tell me how much exactly they spend on textbooks and equipment each year and also whether the university expects us to come equiped with anything (i havnt heard from my uni yet).

You will almost certainly need a lab coat, but most places will have them on sale at your freshers fair. I wouldn't buy anything til you get there, unless expressly told to do so. Money will be tight and you don't want to waste any on a book or what ever that you find you don't like and therefore don't use.

Fx

ReputationRep:
    Last year I spent ~£100 on books, but not until I arrived at uni. I spent about £30/35 on my dissection kit - course manual, labcoat, dissecting kit, gloves etc. I also pinched my sister's school labcoat (as we had to have two, one for dissection and one for non-minging stuff), and I think that was about it.

ReputationRep:
    erk

I might be going to st. andrews next year, so im allready panicking about all this stuff. What are the basic things you MUST have before starting?

* Just out of Curiosity *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGeadie)
    erk

I might be going to st. andrews next year, so im allready panicking about all this stuff. What are the basic things you MUST have before starting?

The requisit A-Level grades, hep B immunity and an open mind

ReputationRep:
    erk

You will probably need a bid samurai sword like the one under your bed, but with all your excellent hand to hand combat skills you wont have to worry about bullies. Wish you all the best with your endeavours, ok

Your pal -fellow samurai sword holder-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william)
    You will probably need a bid samurai sword like the one under your bed, but with all your excellent hand to hand combat skills you wont have to worry about bullies. Wish you all the best with your endeavours, ok

Your pal -fellow samurai sword holder-
    And to think he might be my surgeon in 20 years time.

ReputationRep:
    erk

Well McGeadie, I've been studying Information Technology at StAndrews for 5 years now and I'd have to say that Cossacks and Cossacks: The Art of War are essential for any serious gamer/student. I find that the pleasure of out flanking one's enemy easily shifts any exam stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ponymuffin)
    Well McGeadie, I've been studying Information Technology at StAndrews for 5 years now and I'd have to say that Cossacks and Cossacks: The Art of War are essential for any serious gamer/student. I find that the pleasure of out flanking one's enemy easily shifts any exam stress
    untill a few weeks later when you realise you still don't know the stuff and the exams still exist, even though you may destroy any invading army.

ReputationRep:
    I have bought a few books this year costing about £100 in total and a stethescope costing something like £30 which I got a discount on because I also joined the BMA (on a student membership) we haven't been told to get lab coats or disection kits. It probably varies from Uni to uni. Wait untill you get there because then you will be told what you need ect.

ReputationRep:
    Well since the library is always out of books, I have had to buy lots of books and equipment, coming to about £400.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    in my second year now.. & so far i've bought - a lab coat. & had a copy of 'stryer' donated to me from a grad.

we're lucky with libraries, though i suppose i may eventually want to buy some of the core-science ones, hmm..or just wait & buy clinical books..

ReputationRep:
    I've bought all our recomended texts, many of which I had from my first degree, but largely cos I have a wierd phobia about manky text books - and they collect other peoples dust, which makes my psoriasis flame up!

Our libraries are well stocked - surprisingly so, I have to say! And when I have wanted to flick over a book before buying it, there's always been availiablity.

I have also bought a lab coat - thought using my Oxford embroidered one would just make me look like a tit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I've bought all our recomended texts, many of which I had from my first degree, but largely cos I have a wierd phobia about manky text books - and they collect other peoples dust, which makes my psoriasis flame up!
    i have the knack of locating the pretty new shiny ones! & get very excited when they've been signed & donated by the authors.. *nerd*
    every lecturer recommends about 5 books (including some they've written..hmm :rolleyes: ) so i could easily spend more than my rent on books each term. currently have 25 residing on my shelves.. & these are all pretty much new ones i've got out purely for the 2nd year.. :eek:

I have also bought a lab coat - thought using my Oxford embroidered one would just make me look like a tit!
    we merely get provided with marker pen written on ones.. the demonstrators get pretty blue ones though..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.