The Student Room Group

Oxford Law Applicants 2018

Hi guys!

I just wanted to start a discussion for people like me who will be applying to Oxford this September/October to study Law as there doesn't seem to be one yet. This pretty much can be about anything to do with Oxford/Law, including personal statements, LNAT preparation, interviews etc.

Feel free to answer the following questions

GCSE results

AS/A Levels you're taking

Grade you think you'll get at AS (if taken)

Grade you think you'll get at A level/predicted grade

College you want to apply to

P.S
Good luck with your AS results!! (if you're doing them)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is a good idea. I don't seem to fit into this thread, as I will be applying for the Dphil in Law in 2018 (218-225 average range of applications for 25 slots, a grim reality).

Original post by aoife.olujemi
Hi guys!

I just wanted to start a discussion for people like me who will be applying to Oxford this September/October to study Law as there doesn't seem to be one yet. This pretty much can be about anything to do with Oxford/Law, including personal statements, LNAT preparation, interviews etc.

Feel free to answer the following questions

GCSE results

AS/A Levels you're taking

Grade you think you'll get at AS (if taken)

Grade you think you'll get at A level/predicted grade

College you want to apply to

P.S
Good luck with your AS results!! (if you're doing them)

4A*s, 6As and 1B

Music, Maths and Spanish

Got an A in both As Music and Maths

Predicted A's in all 3 subjects

I'm just kinda nervous. Like what kind of wider reading should I be doing?
Original post by Moosheepgirl

4A*s, 6As and 1B

Music, Maths and Spanish

Got an A in both As Music and Maths

Predicted A's in all 3 subjects

I'm just kinda nervous. Like what kind of wider reading should I be doing?

In terms of wider reading, just follow your interests! You may want to read something on jurisprudence or maybe social sciences - there is a reason why you want study law.

If you are asking this with the view of interview, I would say that some entry into legal reasoning could be beneficial or getting used to reading some case law (some colleges interview based off a case they have given you to read the day before).

I would also start asking myself questions like: what is a cause, what is a right or duty, what is reasonable, what is subjective/objective, what is material or immaterial, what is express/implicit, what is an inference, what is an imputation, what is an intention, what is a motive, what is recklessness, what is certainty, what is risk, what is fact, what is reliance, what is a detriment, what is a promise etc. - this should train you with analysis, don't read up about it law textbooks, because the tutors will see that immediately and will grill you. It is rather that you engage and train your analytical mindset.

As for getting the interview, prepare well for LNAT and don't forgo the essay - it's an opportunity to present your form of written advocacy.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Arbitio LNAT
In terms of wider reading, just follow your interests! You may want to read something on jurisprudence or maybe social sciences - there is a reason why you want study law.

If you are asking this with the view of interview, I would say that some entry into legal reasoning could be beneficial or getting used to reading some case law (some colleges interview based off a case they have given you to read the day before).

I would also start asking myself questions like: what is a cause, what is a right or duty, what is reasonable, what is subjective/objective, what is material or immaterial, what is express/implicit, what is an inference, what is an imputation, what is an intention, what is a motive, what is recklessness, what is certainty, what is risk, what is fact, what is reliance, what is a detriment, what is a promise etc. - this should train you with analysis, don't read up about it law textbooks, because the tutors will see that immediately and will grill you. It is rather that you engage and train your analytical mindset.

As for getting the interview, prepare well for LNAT and don't forgo the essay - it's an opportunity to present your form of written advocacy.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful and has given me a direction to my application, which I very much needed. Much appreciated. :smile:

GCSE results - A*A*A*A*A*AA, country topper in a subject

AS/A Levels you're taking- Math, Physics, Chemistry, Information Technology, English (AS only)

Grade you think you'll get at AS (if taken)- I took the AS, I got ABBB

Grade you think you'll get at A level/predicted grade- probably A*AAAa (a for the AS English I'm taking)

College you want to apply to - open app

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey guys I am a mature applicant(21yrs) from India and want to apply for my second undergraduate degree in law in 2018. So my grade 12 result ( I think that's equivalent to a levels in the UK) was fairly good - I scored 95% in 4 subjects ( maths , english , economics and accounts ) and 97% in business studies. I completed my first undergraduate degree in commerce this year and achieved first class honours (71%) I am currently a first year student in Campus law centre , which is among the top law schools in India after securing an All India Rank of 493 out of almost 20,000 applicants but I am looking to make a change. With these basic stats do you think my application will be competitive enough for oxford?
Original post by asuri1
Hey guys I am a mature applicant(21yrs) from India and want to apply for my second undergraduate degree in law in 2018. So my grade 12 result ( I think that's equivalent to a levels in the UK) was fairly good - I scored 95% in 4 subjects ( maths , english , economics and accounts ) and 97% in business studies. I completed my first undergraduate degree in commerce this year and achieved first class honours (71%) I am currently a first year student in Campus law centre , which is among the top law schools in India after securing an All India Rank of 493 out of almost 20,000 applicants but I am looking to make a change. With these basic stats do you think my application will be competitive enough for oxford?

You have to consider whether you would like to apply for the standard undergraduate degree or the Senior Status. The latter is more competitive and the course is more intense.

I cannot comment on your academic achievements as I lack context. However, my advice would be to be very determined in conveying your motivation for change to Law. I think if you are inclined towards academia, then it may fly. Your reference would be crucial since it needs to provide the context to your application and you don't wish to turn your personal statement into an explanation. The competitiveness of Oxford stems from its interview process (shortlisting rate of Non-EU applicants was 44% in 2014-2016 cycle). Therefore, consider whether you are capable of analysis expected at an interview, and whether you application on paper (grades, LNAT, PS and reference) can be above average.

Have you perhaps considered doing a postgraduate degree in Law? I am aware of Dr Mark Souza who studied for his undergraduate in India, only to continue postgraduate study and research at Cambridge.
Law: 7A*s 4A (2 short course) and B
AS: Abbc (this is why i don't expect to get in)
Predicted: AAA
IF i get 30 on LNAT will is stand a chance?
Looking at sommerville college
Original post by prettyboyantz

These are the pertinent quotes from Oxford admissions website:

'No. Oxford has never used AS-level grades in a mechanistic way when assessing applications, partly because a third of our applicants are not taking A-levels. We will continue to assess applications with no AS-level grades in exactly the same way as those with AS-level grades.'

And as for the question regarding AS-levels that are not the best:

'The answer here is yes, it may [affect], although we have no formal requirements for any particular grades at GCSE or AS-level. Each application is considered carefully on its individual merits. Tutors will take into account any existing grades, along with predicted or achieved grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications), the personal statement, academic reference, and performance in any written work or written test required for the course. Where students are shortlisted, their performance in any interviews will also be taken in to account.'

As for LNAT, the average successful candidate ie offer is around 29. Interestingly, only select few students get above 34, so it is likely that the distribution is somewhat narrow. Further, Oxford pays particular attention to the essay, with an official mark scheme. Therefore, performing 30 and having a very good essay will already put you amongst top candidates, so it's worth preparing well - deadline for Oxford LNAT is 20th October. Remember that most of selection happens at the interview stage, so if you submit an application that offsets the AS-levels, you definitely stand a chance.

As for college choice, I think it is more of a factor for interviews, since 'paper' applications are also assessed centrally by the Faculty.

Hi all!

I'm not a law applicant but there's a page on Facebook for all Oxford applicants and there's a group of us who then made a messenger group chat to get to know each other if you wish to join here's a link:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/129353567699332?ref=bookmarks
OMG thank the Lord that this thread exists! I am probably a year older than most people here (finished year 13 in September). I'm having a gap year for personal reasons and to save up money, but my a-level results have sort of changed my mind about where I want to study next Sept. I'd originally ruled out Cambridge/Oxford as I thought it was very pretentious and I would be pretending to be someone I'm not, but now I'm actually considering it and hope I'm not leaving it too late!!!
I got 5 A's and 5 A* at GCSE
4 A's at AS
A* A A at a-level (with only a few marks off a second A* !! :frown: )

Planning on doing law at uni. Like the look of Lancaster and Durham as other choices. Do you think it's worthwhile me applying to Oxford as I haven't even looked round it.
1. 6Bs and 4Cs
2. Biology, Computing and Geography
3. Grade I think I will get at AS: CCC
4. BCC
5. Any

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by prettyboyantz

omg finally someone in a similar situation as me - I got ABBC at AS as well :redface:

ofc I was absolutely crestfallen, and totally put off applying but my friends and the Oxbridge coordinator at my college pushed me a bit saying I have nothing to lose (which admittedly I don't) so here I am!

honestly good luck, do keep me in the loop bc I'd love to know how ur app goes. When's your LNAT? :biggrin:
GCSE results: 11 A*s, 3As and a C
AS/A Levels you're taking: English Lit, French, Maths, History (dropped)
AS grades: ABBC lmaoo
Grade you think you'll get at A level/predicted grade: A*A*A predictions (I'm vvv lucky tbh)
College you want to apply to: open application
1. 8A*s and 3As
2. History, Politics, Maths, and Biology (All four are being continued from AS to A2)
3. AAAA (achieved)
4. I don't know yet, but probably A*A*AA
5. Christ Church College

I'm extremely worried about the upcoming LNAT test; in the practice tests I've got pretty dreadful results in the multiple-choice section, roughly 18-22. My grades are decent, but I know my downfall will be the multiple-choice section of the LNAT exam.

Does anyone have any advice to manage with the multiple-choice section?

8As and 9Bs (went to Swedish school where grades range from A-F)

IB predicted: 40, with 766 at HL (Economics, History, English A)

Magdalen College

Also applying to King's, Bristol, Warwick and Aberdeen

Had my LNAT last week, and I genuinely have no idea how the multiple choice part went. I messed up the essay, as I only managed to write 450 words, but I feel like they mainly use the essay to make sure you are good at writing anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Hi everyone :smile:

1. 9A*'s 3A's
2. Government and Politics, English literature, Maths and French
3. I got 2 A's at AS, with 100 and 98 UMS in politics
4. Predicted A*AAA
5. And I'm applying to Magdalen College

Completely dreading the LNAT on the 7th October!!!
just a heads up that I’ve made a group chat for oxford law applicants, so let me know your FB and I’ll add you :tongue:
Original post by cherryblossoming
just a heads up that I’ve made a group chat for oxford law applicants, so let me know your FB and I’ll add you :tongue:

Hey! Can you add me? My name is Su Wen Lee on facebook :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest