plantpod
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone,
So recently, I've received my IGCSE results, most of my grades were A*s and a few A's,(I have gotten an A* in english as a second language) but one which disappointed me very much was that of English literature, I got awarded an E?
My teacher expected an A*, but I thought I'd get a bit lower since it was my first year taking it, but never this low. I was so sad and disappointed, I was always an A-student and English literature was one of my favorite subjects, and knowing I've gotten that grade really teared me down. I don't recall leaving any questions blank or writing anything out of context. I've seen a few posts on here about people who have noticed a drastic change in their grades after sending their papers for a remark, things like D to A* and E to A. I know it doesn't happen much but I can only hope. I know for a fact that sending Lit papers for a remark often results in a change of grade. Did you, or someone else you know experience a similar situation? Did you request for a remark, and did it show any drastic change? I'd really appreciate it if people who took CIE IGCSE English Literature, specifically, would speak up on this (so I know if it's that common of a situation). Thanks in advance.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should locate your "percentage uniform mark", to establish where your mark sits within the grade E band. Is it on your results slip? Then consult with your school re. a remark.
JIMBO789
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by plantpod)
Hello everyone,
So recently, I've received my IGCSE results, most of my grades were A*s and a few A's,(I have gotten an A* in english as a second language) but one which disappointed me very much was that of English literature, I got awarded an E?
My teacher expected an A*, but I thought I'd get a bit lower since it was my first year taking it, but never this low. I was so sad and disappointed, I was always an A-student and English literature was one of my favorite subjects, and knowing I've gotten that grade really teared me down. I don't recall leaving any questions blank or writing anything out of context. I've seen a few posts on here about people who have noticed a drastic change in their grades after sending their papers for a remark, things like D to A* and E to A. I know it doesn't happen much but I can only hope. I know for a fact that sending Lit papers for a remark often results in a change of grade. Did you, or someone else you know experience a similar situation? Did you request for a remark, and did it show any drastic change? I'd really appreciate it if people who took CIE IGCSE English Literature, specifically, would speak up on this (so I know if it's that common of a situation). Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

Firstly congrats on the good parts of your grades! I myself did IGCSE CIE for English Literature in 2013. In my experiences a huge amount of my year got an A*, so my suspicion is that they have decided to become harder on the grades they give out. I'd definitely recommend a remark.

Sticking to the topic of IGCSE CIE English, the year before mine had a real controversy about how their Language papers were marked. Some of the time there can be a huge error in marking, but not always. The people who still ended up with a B went and did the exam again, next year. This may be an option, but I am not sure if they still do it.

Don't feel bad about one bad grade, contact me again if needed and I will be happy to talk
plantpod
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
You should locate your "percentage uniform mark", to establish where your mark sits within the grade E band. Is it on your results slip? Then consult with your school re. a remark.
I accessed my results online, and it's only grades. I'll consider consulting the school then. Thank you for your advice!
plantpod
Rep:
?
(Original post by JIMBO789)
Hi there,

Firstly congrats on the good parts of your grades! I myself did IGCSE CIE for English Literature in 2013. In my experiences a huge amount of my year got an A*, so my suspicion is that they have decided to become harder on the grades they give out. I'd definitely recommend a remark.

Sticking to the topic of IGCSE CIE English, the year before mine had a real controversy about how their Language papers were marked. Some of the time there can be a huge error in marking, but not always. The people who still ended up with a B went and did the exam again, next year. This may be an option, but I am not sure if they still do it.

Don't feel bad about one bad grade, contact me again if needed and I will be happy to talk
I'll most probably get a remark, and hopefully it helps (maybe even to the point where it's changed to a high grade lol) Thank you so much for your advice!
Quizlet
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please get it remarked if you think that's incorrect. I once went from a D to a* overall. With one of my grades going from an e to an a. plantpod
plantpod
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quizlet)
Please get it remarked if you think that's incorrect. I once went from a D to a* overall. With one of my grades going from an e to an a. plantpod
That's great, congrats! I most probably will. If you don't mind me asking, what were the subjects you requested a remark for and are they IGCSE subjects?
Quizlet
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GCSE Portugese and it wasn't iGCSE.
JIMBO789
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by plantpod)
I'll most probably get a remark, and hopefully it helps (maybe even to the point where it's changed to a high grade lol) Thank you so much for your advice!
That's alright mate, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (356)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (278)
43.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise