Sazal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello Everyone,

I am studying for the UKCAT and I am struggling to understand the shape equations for decision making section. Is there any youtube tutorial or online forum explaining how to tackle those questions.

Thanks
COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could you post a pic of one, as an example please?
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought shapes was abstract reasoning? Unless the code is in symbols?
Sazal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Name:  DM ukcat.png
Views: 594
Size:  35.9 KB
This is an example of what I am talking about guys
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think i got it! Its a very complicated (well for me anyway, maybe im just slow this morning) maths problem. Imaging each of the shapes as algebra letters and do substitution.

Gimme a sec to draw my thing out on my computer and i'll upload it in a few mins
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok nevermind, i cant get that working right now.

I expanded out the rectangles of the equation you want to solve. So 2 circles equals 8 triangles-something. (because each rectangle is 4 triangles)

Then i changed the circles into the thing we know they are equal to, which contains triangles. So change each of the two circles into two triangles and a square. Now, you have four triangles and two squares equals 8 triangles, minus "something".

This cancels down, to 2squares= 4 triangles - something

Now rearrange the third example you are given. In that, two squares=circle+triangle=square.

Therefore, Circle+triangle-square=4 triangles - something

Remove triangles from the LHS, so Circle-square=3 triangles - something

Rearrange the second example again....two triangles = circle-square. Therefore, three triangles - something = two triangles. BOOM.

I swear you could do that a lot easier, i just thought a complicated route for some reason.
iwannabedrpls
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! ^^^

Please can anyone else also set out rules for how to solve such equations as I am also reallly struggling
molly.butcherx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a mathematician at heart, I don't like shapes, they confuse me like they do to other people... so I convert it all into numbers, so when ever I get one, I see it more of a maths question than a logic question. It makes it easier to go about.

With the first equation, imagine the triangle is equal to one, therefore you're going to convert every shape into terms of the triangle. As 4 triangles equal the rectangle, 1+1+1+1 = 4. Therefore, rectangle = 4.

Let's focus on trying to work out the square. Do this by using simultaneous equations, and putting the second equation, equally circle, into the third equation. Therefore you have 3 squares = 3 triangles + square.

As you know triangle = 1, and using basic maths (minusing a square from each side), you now end up with 2 squares = 3, and therefore square = 3/2.

Put the value of square= 3/2 and triangle=1 back into the equation, and you get that circle = 7/2.

Put all these values into the last equation:
7/2 + 7/2 = 4 + 4 -?
7 = 8 -?
Therefore ?=1. Therefore as triangle =1, the answer is triangle.

In writing it seems like it takes a while, but for me, I can do it relatively quickly, and this one seems to be a slightly harder one compared to usual.

I don't know if this is any help, but I thought I'd share how I do these questions
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
These questions can be difficult, I have attached some help from our Medic Mind Books. Check out some free Decision Making tutorials too at www.youtube.com/medicmind
LillyAllen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!
your way seems intresitng. I am struggling alot to understand this do you think you can exaplin this more simplier? i think what i got from you is :

Triangle=1
square=2
rectangle=4
what will circle be??

(Original post by molly.butcherx)
I'm a mathematician at heart, I don't like shapes, they confuse me like they do to other people... so I convert it all into numbers, so when ever I get one, I see it more of a maths question than a logic question. It makes it easier to go about.

With the first equation, imagine the triangle is equal to one, therefore you're going to convert every shape into terms of the triangle. As 4 triangles equal the rectangle, 1+1+1+1 = 4. Therefore, rectangle = 4.

Let's focus on trying to work out the square. Do this by using simultaneous equations, and putting the second equation, equally circle, into the third equation. Therefore you have 3 squares = 3 triangles + square.

As you know triangle = 1, and using basic maths (minusing a square from each side), you now end up with 2 squares = 3, and therefore square = 3/2.

Put the value of square= 3/2 and triangle=1 back into the equation, and you get that circle = 7/2.

7/2 + 7/2 = 4 + 4 -?
7 = 8 -?

In writing it seems like it takes a while, but for me, I can do it relatively quickly, and this one seems to be a slightly harder one compared to usual.

I don't know if this is any help, but I thought I'd share how I do these questions
shum1614
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

7/2 + 7/2 = 4 + 4 -?
7 = 8 -?

the best explanation iv ever seen for this amazing !! !
shum1614
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

7/2 + 7/2 = 4 + 4 -?
7 = 8 -?

can you do this !??? using the same method
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University