Need help with civil righs coursework Watch

Maheya21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My coursework question is: within the context of the years of 1850's to 1960's what kind of stradgery; agressive or Peaceful led to greater change for black civil rights in America?

I was looking at Malcom X while in the Nation of Islam for the agressive side. Does anyone know what i could talk about relevant to this? Any events, speeches, ect?
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Maheya21)
My coursework question is: within the context of the years of 1850's to 1860's what kind of stradgery; agressive or Peaceful led to greater change for black civil rights in America?

I was looking at Malcom X while in the Nation of Islam for the agressive side. Does anyone know what i could talk about relevant to this? Any events, speeches, ect?
Are you sure you got the dates right? If the question has specified 1850s to 1860s I'm not certain you would be able to talk about Malcolm X. Malcolm X is way out of that timeframe. Malcolm X was active in the 1950s.
Maheya21
Rep:
?
Yeah sorry, i got the dates wrong. I was meant to say 1850s to 1960s.
queenofswords
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My coursework question is: within the context of the years of 1850's to 1960's what kind of stradgery; agressive or Peaceful led to greater change for black civil rights in America?

Agressive- Black Panthers, Malcolm X and the Black Power Movement (call for black separatism). SNCC and CORE (used to be peaceful and inclusive but became radical following the failure at )

-Hate that produced hate (1959) documentary is a good resource

Peaceful- Martin Luther King and the SCLC (wanted to bring change through peaceful protest). NAACP (wanted change through legal case victories).

List of key events, demonstrations and achievements can be found here:

https://www.memrise.com/course/87490...2/?action=prev
Maheya21
Rep:
?
(Original post by queenofswords)
Do you mean 1950's to 1960's?

Agressive- Black Panthers, Malcolm X and the Black Power Movement (call for black separatism). SNCC and CORE (used to be peaceful and inclusive but became radical following the failure at )

-Hate that produced hate documentary is a good resource

Peaceful- Martin Luther King and the SCLC (wanted to bring change through peaceful protest). NAACP (wanted change through legal case victories).
Thank you for this! It helps
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by queenofswords)

-Hate that produced hate documentary is a good resource

List of key events, demonstrations and achievements can be found here:

https://www.memrise.com/course/87490...4/?action=next
Were Black Panthers (/Black Power) aggressive? I thought they wanted separatism but didn't really cause any violence. They set up the youth clubs for Black Children, and had their own uniform/group (like cadets basically) but didn't attack anyone.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah sorry, i got the dates wrong. I was meant to say 1850s to 1960s.
Hi mate, I can help you with 1920-1960's . (Will be good revision for me as I do this as part of my AS)
queenofswords
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Were Black Panthers (/Black Power) aggressive? I thought they wanted separatism but didn't really cause any violence. They set up the youth clubs for Black Children, and had their own uniform/group (like cadets basically) but didn't attack anyone.
Yes I know, they also set up health clinics to helps patients with Sickle Cell disease and offered free schooling to black children in cities.

Their ideology and demands were more radical ("agressive" ) compared to MLK and the NAACP/ SCLC. See their 10 point programme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (438)
67.49%
No (211)
32.51%

Watched Threads