The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by foodandphysics

We're the first cohort to have all our exams in the 9-1 format. Feel free to use this thread to share experiences, rants, tips, questions etc.

Introduce yourself! What subjects are you taking? What are you dreading/looking forward to in year 10? What do you think of the new GCSEs? Also, what are your interests outside of school?

:tsr:

I guess I'll start. I'm foodandphysics. I'm taking (as well as the compulsory ones) further maths, statistics, chemistry, physics, biology, computer science, history and DT graphic products; my favourites being physics, history and maths. I'm dreading planning my revision but looking forward to... not that much tbh. Outside of school I enjoy astronomy, reading and politics.
Reply 2
Hi I'm about to start year 10 in less than two weeks! The subjects I'm taking are ( compulsory ones such as religious studies, physics, biology and chemistry and the maths and English) I'm also going to take Media studies and P.E. Mention below when your exams are and your mock exams. Good revision tips and if any good revision websites!
Hi,Im starting year 10 in 2 weeks.I'm taking maths,double english,double science,german,geography,music and media.I'm not sure about media as I don't know much about it,there wasn't many other subjects that I wanted to do so I had to choose it! If anyone knows good revision websites comment below.
Original post by maisiex10x
Hi,Im starting year 10 in 2 weeks.I'm taking maths,double english,double science,german,geography,music and media.I'm not sure about media as I don't know much about it,there wasn't many other subjects that I wanted to do so I had to choose it! If anyone knows good revision websites comment below.

I recommend making flashcards on Quizlet for every topic, especially languages (I don't take any but friends who do recommend it).
I recommend making flashcards on Quizlet for every topic, especially languages (I don't take any but friends who do recommend it).

Lol I just finished yr11 but Quizlet was a lifesaver for everyone in my year revising for GCSEs!!
Just a little tip; try to avoid exhausting your limited supply of specimen/past papers for subjects like the sciences etc prematurely. They won't be much use to you in year 10 because you won't have covered half the content, and you don't want to have already done most of them before the run up to your real exams... PPs were like gold dust in exam season and the reassurance that calculating your UMS gives you is invaluable!
Good luck and if you have any questions or anything, let me know!
BTW I did Maths, FM, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, History, Spanish, Latin, Computing, Biology, Chemistry & Physics.
Original post by samhendrie
Hi, I'm Sam and I'm starting Y10 on 8th September. I am in Top Set for all my subjects where sets are applicable (only compulsory subjects). The Subjects I am taking include:

Compulsory:
English Language - AQA - Better at this than English Lit, but still struggle with techniques, hoping for a 6 or 7
English Literature - AQA - Going to find this hard to memorise quotes, I want to get a 6 at least
Maths - Edexcel - My BEST Subject, I enjoy it, I WANT an 8 or 9
Double Science (2 GCSEs) - AQA - I struggle with Biology but excel in Chemistry and Physics, hoping for a 7 or 8
Religious Studies - AQA, Route B - Quite an easy Subject, want an 8

Options:
Geography - AQA - I struggle with certain aspects, if lucky I will get a 7
Computer Science - OCR - I really enjoy this subject, I am good as it with a 93% in my Computing Aptitude Test (need to get 65% in my school to get on to the course), I really want an 8 or 9
DT Graphics - AQA - I wanted Business Studies but it couldn't be timetabled, although I enjoy this subject, not very good drawing but very good at theory, I am really hoping for a 6, if the Grade boundaries are low then I want a 7

For A-Levels I want to do Maths, Computing, and either Physics, Chemistry or Graphic Design if I get a good grade at GCSE

I then want to go to a Russel Groups Uni to study Software Engineering, or similar.

I am looking forward to GCSE as I'll only be taking the options I want.

We're actually pretty similar choices wise, although wouldn't you want to take triple science if you're thinking of taking a science at a level? I'm planning on taking maths, further maths, physics and computer science at a level. I moved house recently, went from a failing comp to a really good grammar and I'm doing well in most subjects except from CS, everyone else can code extremely well while I can only play around with if/elif. Do you code in Python, if so any tips. I'm okay at the theory but my code is another story.
We're actually pretty similar choices wise, although wouldn't you want to take triple science if you're thinking of taking a science at a level? I'm planning on taking maths, further maths, physics and computer science at a level. I moved house recently, went from a failing comp to a really good grammar and I'm doing well in most subjects except from CS, everyone else can code extremely well while I can only play around with if/elif. Do you code in Python, if so any tips. I'm okay at the theory but my code is another story.

I would’ve done Triple Science, however my school doesn’t offer it for some odd reason, and the I know the jump for GCSE to A-Level Science is a lot. Also of the aspect of coding, we haven’t learnt Python as through Y7-Y9, our Computer Studies lessons consisted of making PowerPoints and that rubbish, but we learnt HTML and designed websistes with it. I’m afraid I will struggle at GCSE, but like Graphics, my theory is incomparable to my practical, which may being down my grade, but all I can do is try 😂
Hi, I'm starting year 10 on the 4th of September. I'm taking english lit + english lang, maths, triple science, art, computer science , history and film studies. But I'm sitting my English literature and art exams in year 10 because my school decided to start two GCSEs earlier to reduce the work load in year 11.
I'm most looking forward to triple science, as I like science more than english.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well i accidentally wrote one of these on last year's thread because we started a few courses in year 9 without reading the name of the thread...! But here goes, for real this time:I'm taking AQA English Literature, Language, Edexcel Maths, and AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics as compulsory subjects, plus Edexcel RS, Edexcel Music, AQA French, and AQA Drama. Looking forward to dropping geography, history, and doing stuff I've chosen, not so looking forward to learning quotes and equations and having no time...! It's gonna be a crazy couple of years, but let's get going!

We're the first cohort to have all our exams in the 9-1 format. Feel free to use this thread to share experiences, rants, tips, questions etc.

Introduce yourself! What subjects are you taking? What are you dreading/looking forward to in year 10? What do you think of the new GCSEs? Also, what are your interests outside of school?

:tsr:

Heyy I'm starting year 10 on sept 6th and I'm taking
Edexcel Maths
AQA Eng lit
AQA Eng lang
Edexcel German
OCR Art
AQA Drama
AQA Bio
AQA Chem
AQA Phys
OCR Latin

I took Edexcel RS in year 9 and am getting the results in september. I was predicted an A* so hopefully it all goes well!
I'm hoping for all 9's (although im gonna have to work super hard)
For A Level I wanna take Maths, Bio, Chem & Psychology and hopefully do Medicine at Cambridge
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
In Year 10, I'm taking
French
Maths
Triple Science
English lit and language
Geography
RE
Science, Chemistry and Physics.
I'm looking forward to taking these courses, but i've realised i need to work more harder. Could someone suggest some revision tips? Good luck in year 10, and I hope everyone tries there best!
Reply 12
Good luck to you lot starting GCSEs, I'm coming out the other end. Just make sure you don't fall behind and find time to enjoy yourself. And have good relations with your teachers. Be nice to them, because they can really help you.
You're not the first... I'm starting Y11 this September, and all of our GCSEs are being marked using the 9-1 system.
Hey! I'm Thomas. Going into year 10 in a week. Looking forward to not having to do quite a few subjects that have been compulsory previously. For example, Tech (in particular food) and art. Never been a huge fan of either. As it is I'm doing Triple Science, Computer Science and History as well as French (which is compulsory for us). Not great that we'll be the first year trying nearly all of the new 9-1 exams out but nevermind, I think I'll do decently regardless. Oh, and I'm probably taking one or two extra language GCSE's, most likely sitting one in year 10.

Outside of school I love music. I play drums (and a little bass) and listen to a lot of metal (and some rock). Always up for a good chat about music :smile: I also like languages and sleeping I guess.
Original post by NerdyHannah
You're not the first... I'm starting Y11 this September, and all of our GCSEs are being marked using the 9-1 system.

The Majority of yours are, but things such as DT are not
Original post by samhendrie
The Majority of yours are, but things such as DT are not

DT in my school are under the new grades
Reply 17
Hi, I'm Tom a student from Wales starting Year 10.
I'm taking:
Maths
Eng Lang
Eng Lit
Double Science
Spanish
Welsh
RE
History
Sociology
Drama
Welsh Bac

I'm still A*-G for everything and all my subjects are WJEC.
Good luck everyone!
Hi, my name's BChemGee and I'm starting year 10 on the 6th of September, I've been looking forward to year 10 since around year 8 ( I plan on joining a lot of extra-curriculars this year to kind of kickstart my journey to med school) and I'm pretty happy that it's finally time to start my GCSEs.

I'm taking:
English Lang & Lit
Maths
Further maths (I plan on self-studying, then sitting the exam at school)
R.E
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Computer Science
French

I am hoping for all 7-9s realistically, but I do want to mostly end up with 8s and 9s (especially in Maths, Biology, R.E, Physics, English Lit and French)

To be honest, I wouldn't say I have many interests outside of school other than reading (I have a strange obsession with Greek Mythology for some reason), creative writing (mostly poetry), listening to music ( mostly alt rock, alt hip-hop and r&b/soul music) and looking up vintage cars (I'm in love with the BMW 501 coupe :colondollar:)

Good luck to everyone who is starting year 10!
Reply 19
I'm starting year 10 on September 5th and I'm doing:
AQA Eng Lang
AQA Eng Lit
AQA Chemistry
AQA Biology
AQA Physics
AQA French
AQA Media
AQA History
Edexcel Maths
OCR Psychology
I'm hoping for all 7-9's in my gcses and want to do A level Chemistry, Biology, Physics and possibly Maths. I'm quite nervous and excited for year 10 because I know lots of things will change but I don't know if I'll be able to handle everything

Latest