The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to be annoyed at this?

This can be moved to another forum if need be, I just assumed it could be in here due to it being related to clearing.

I've had to go through clearing after receiving an unsuccessful from Strathclyde after having a near miss in my results (required AB, achieved BB). Received an email today to say that I hadn't gotten in despite being so close, and after my sister calling she was told that the reason I couldn't be accepted was because the business school made a large number of their conditions far too easy and couldn't cut down their number of students as expected, resulting in a large amount of students being automatically accepted, and due to lack of funding, other faculties having to completely turn down applicants who almost met their conditions (like me). I already know that the biomedical faculty is extremely frustrated and therefore I ask the question of am I allowed to be frustrated too? I was told that they would have accepted me instantly if this wasn't the situation and therefore have to settle with a worse University which I have results that greatly surpass their general entry requirements.
Not really. You had an offer with conditions and you didn't make it. The uni is more than entitled to reject you for not meeting the requirements they set. It's bad luck you may have had a chance to be accepted anyway under different circumstances but the only way to be guaranteed a place is by meeting your conditions. Anything else is fair game.
Original post by AndrewSCO
Not really. You had an offer with conditions and you didn't make it. The uni is more than entitled to reject you for not meeting the requirements they set. It's bad luck you may have had a chance to be accepted anyway under different circumstances but the only way to be guaranteed a place is by meeting your conditions. Anything else is fair game.

I am aware of not meeting the entry requirements, that's not the part I'm annoyed about. I'm frustrated that I would have been accepted despite not meeting the entry requirements if another faculty was less trigger-happy with their conditions.
Original post by usagi.tsukino
I am aware of not meeting the entry requirements, that's not the part I'm annoyed about. I'm frustrated that I would have been accepted despite not meeting the entry requirements if another faculty was less trigger-happy with their conditions.

That's not within your control, there could be a million different reasons why different courses from different universities could reject different students or not have any places left for those who don't meet requirements. This is this particular reason and it's how it goes. If you don't meet your conditions it's out of your hands and you need to accept that they don't have additional places for you.

This will happen to every single person who doesn't meet their offer, they will accept the people who did and the places will fill up. Some may get lucky, others won't but it's no longer your entitlement to have a place there. Sorry you didn't get into Strathclyde (that's where I go, incidentally), hope you manage to find another uni you are happy with, good luck :smile:
This can be moved to another forum if need be, I just assumed it could be in here due to it being related to clearing.

I've had to go through clearing after receiving an unsuccessful from Strathclyde after having a near miss in my results (required AB, achieved BB). Received an email today to say that I hadn't gotten in despite being so close, and after my sister calling she was told that the reason I couldn't be accepted was because the business school made a large number of their conditions far too easy and couldn't cut down their number of students as expected, resulting in a large amount of students being automatically accepted, and due to lack of funding, other faculties having to completely turn down applicants who almost met their conditions (like me). I already know that the biomedical faculty is extremely frustrated and therefore I ask the question of am I allowed to be frustrated too? I was told that they would have accepted me instantly if this wasn't the situation and therefore have to settle with a worse University which I have results that greatly surpass their general entry requirements.

Of course you're allowed to be annoyed!

The university has been clear that they believe you're capable of the course and have the physical and teaching capacity to take you on the course... but a mixup elsewhere and the funding policy for universities has forced them to reject capable applicants.

Have you tried asking if they would defer your offer or accept a reapplication if you take a gap year?

You could likely find a paid year in industry for a gap year that would help with your studies and earn some cash.

Unfortunately your options within Scotland will be pretty limited - that limited funding pot again. If you're open to studying in England/wales/NI you might have more luck finding something that suits you that can fit you in.

Unfortunatley its the price students pay in Scotland for free tuition. I do understand your frustrations though- like you I ended up in clearing having missed my offers at my first time of applying. Instead of settling for a worse university I didn't go through clearing in the end, I retook my exams and got into a university I had originally applied for. So taking a gap year, retaking and reapplying is something to seriously consider if the university will accept the grades at the second attempt.
Original post by PQ
Of course you're allowed to be annoyed!

The university has been clear that they believe you're capable of the course and have the physical and teaching capacity to take you on the course... but a mixup elsewhere and the funding policy for universities has forced them to reject capable applicants.

Have you tried asking if they would defer your offer or accept a reapplication if you take a gap year?

You could likely find a paid year in industry for a gap year that would help with your studies and earn some cash.

Unfortunately your options within Scotland will be pretty limited - that limited funding pot again. If you're open to studying in England/wales/NI you might have more luck finding something that suits you that can fit you in.

My sister was good enough to call and ask for the full reason for being declined yesterday, where I was also listed all of my opportunities. I've applied to one half of the degree that I want to do, and I'm going to study as hard as I can next year to get exam results over 70% so I can transfer to Strathclyde in my second year. I would love to have taken a year out to gain more experience and knowledge, but my parents weren't willing to let me do that. Who knows, maybe I'll like the course at the Uni that I've already received an informal offer from! I'm trying to look on the bright side of the situation.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
Unfortunatley its the price students pay in Scotland for free tuition. I do understand your frustrations though- like you I ended up in clearing having missed my offers at my first time of applying. Instead of settling for a worse university I didn't go through clearing in the end, I retook my exams and got into a university I had originally applied for. So taking a gap year, retaking and reapplying is something to seriously consider if the university will accept the grades at the second attempt.

No, it's the price students pay for failing to meet the entry requirements of the university. If you don't meet the requirements, you aren't entitled to a place. It is at the university's discretion whether to accept you or not. I do have sympathy with the OP, but you know...
"Trigger happy with their conditions" what???

If they made the conditions harder than they were, you realise that your BB grade means you probably still wouldn't get in right?

A lot of people met the entry requirements this year. They filled up all the spaces. You didn't meet the entry requirements so you are not entitled to the place. If there's plenty of people with AB or higher that applied, why would they reject them and give the place to someone lower than AB?

I don't want to sound harsh. I get how horrible it can be to realise you didn't get into the place where you wanted to. And in some ways, you do have the right to be annoyed. But that's just how the system works. They can't help it a lot of people met the entry requirements.
Original post by uptownpunkk
"Trigger happy with their conditions" what???

If they made the conditions harder than they were, you realise that your BB grade means you probably still wouldn't get in right?

A lot of people met the entry requirements this year. They filled up all the spaces. You didn't meet the entry requirements so you are not entitled to the place. If there's plenty of people with AB or higher that applied, why would they reject them and give the place to someone lower than AB?

I don't want to sound harsh. I get how horrible it can be to realise you didn't get into the place where you wanted to. And in some ways, you do have the right to be annoyed. But that's just how the system works. They can't help it a lot of people met the entry requirements.

After calling the University that was what I was told: That the business faculty had made their conditions too low and that too many people had met them. This meant that there weren't enough spaces for the near-misses that are still being considered. If I wasn't supposed to get a place I would have been declined as soon as Track reopened at 9 am. I was declined when they realised that there was no space/funding to allow me into the Uni.

I'm not saying that those who had met their conditions shouldn't be allowed in, where did I say anything regarding that? Those people met their conditions and were automatically accepted. All I am saying is that if their conditions weren't so low, they might not have been accepted, and that would have allowed me to have a place on my course - my faculty weren't the ones who made it too easy for people to reach their conditions.

People get accepted all the time that haven't met their conditions, depending on their course and the spaces that are still available; I know people personally who were in this situation this year. That's why I'm annoyed.
Original post by MNUK
No, it's the price students pay for failing to meet the entry requirements of the university. If you don't meet the requirements, you aren't entitled to a place. It is at the university's discretion whether to accept you or not. I do have sympathy with the OP, but you know...

True to an extent, but in England with no cap on numbers universities can let anyone who misses their offer in if they want to.
I think you should be allowed to be annoyed and frustrated.
If I were you, I would be.
I had a conditional for second year pharmacy at Strathclyde but I didn't meet my conditions. They still gave me a place, thankfully.
I know some other people who also were in the same boat as you and weren't accepted at Strathclyde.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending