Passport identity confirmation signiture

Watch
jellygiraffe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm getting my passport renewed for the first time in over a decade so obviously I need to change my picture, and it's asking for a signature from someone else to confirm it's me. They can't be a family member or friend and they suggest someone like a doctor but I'm sure most people don't ask their doctor to do it? Isn't that a bit weird? Who do people use to sign signatures for this kind of thing?? It seems dumb to ask an ex-teacher or a doctor to confirm who I am?? ideas?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jellygiraffe)
I'm getting my passport renewed for the first time in over a decade so obviously I need to change my picture, and it's asking for a signature from someone else to confirm it's me. They can't be a family member or friend and they suggest someone like a doctor but I'm sure most people don't ask their doctor to do it? Isn't that a bit weird? Who do people use to sign signatures for this kind of thing?? It seems dumb to ask an ex-teacher or a doctor to confirm who I am?? ideas?
Whether you think its dumb or not doesnt matter. You either comply or you dont get a passport. Its an anti fraud measure to put a further check in to ensure you are the person you say you are.

It gives a long list of people who you can ask.

2. Accepted occupations for countersignatories

Your countersignatory must either:

work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
be ‘a person of good standing in their community’

Recognised professions

Examples of recognised professions include:
accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank/building society official
barrister
chairman/director of limited company
chiropodist
commissioner for oaths
councillor, eg local or county civil servant (permanent)
dentist director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer - with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
licensee of public house
local government officer
manager/personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
nurse - RGN or RMN
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer -
professional police officer
Post Office official
president/secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher,
lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent -
qualified valuer or auctioneer -
fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jellygiraffe)
I agree with 999tigger, it may seem dumb, but it has to be done.

Do bear in mind, however, that doctor's surgeries usually charge for these sorts of things as standard, so it might be better trying an ex-teacher or someone else in the above list. I've heard stories of bank employees verifying your identity then signing the photograph, but also stories that people have been turned away as "company policy". This is probably due to the fact the counter-signatory needs to provide their address, and that sort of thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads