The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Mr Moncal
Joseph wasn't Jesus's father. If he had a father then his mother couldn't be a virgin and there couldn't be a virgin birth.

so does Jesus look like his father?? (i've always been wondering about that)
Reply 61
shushimeng
so does Jesus look like his father?? (i've always been wondering about that)

Yes, God made man in his image, so Jesus would look like his father.
carldaman
As I was replying to the Catholic Church thread it was closed, so I'm continuing it as I have made several time consuming replies to points which I felt displayed bad logic, or were just plain wrong. This post is written from henceforth as a reply on the last topic.

ok so you are suggesting the following quotes demonstrated bad logic or were wrong?
carldaman
Arghhh no!!!! God is merciful, he just does not interfere day-in-day-out. God is merciful because he sacrificed his only son in order to liberate every single other person every from their sins. Thats pretty merciful if you ask me.

Not when the is no absoulte proof that is what happened. That is what you believed happend, my line of arguement is based on events happening in the world today rather than something that might or might not happened 2000 years ago and seemingly has had no effect.
carldaman
Well Christianity obviously isn't for you. The objective is not divine intervention, but human self improvement.

Human self improvement, so you feel you need religion to force you to improve, to that is rather narrow minded. Why cant you improve your self without religion? Also if your life is going going to last 5 years and in that you are constantly suffering immence pain due to a diease you inherited expecting you to improve yourself isnt much good.
carldaman
No, he gives a damn about what will happen to the people. Without pain, what is joy? Without suffering, what is contentment? The key here is that suffering presented to us in our lifetime provides a contrast to the bliss that Christians assume they will have after death.

why cant we have bliss now? what reason is there to make people now in the world suffer for actions that happend so long ago that is so important? The rest of the posts you attributed to me were not mine.
Reply 63
Ever heard of the Holy Trinity?
Reply 64
Gnostic XXX
Did God create man in his image, or does man create God in his image? Is man the mistake of God, or God the mistake of man?

Answers* on postcards to...

* blessed idiots like yawn1 need not apply

Still up? I would have thought it was past your bedtime :rolleyes:
Gnostic XXX
Pre-Darwin Christian worldview

God did not create man, man evolved from amino acids via billions of years of random mutation > no original sin > no salvation needed = Christianity collapses

woo hoo!
Reply 66
Can you believe in God and Christ without believing in Christianity?
Reply 67
symun
Can you believe in God and Christ without believing in Christianity?

Jesus was Jewish and was only trying to modernise and revitalise Jewish religious practices, which had become too obsessed with dogma, ritual and bureaucracy.

Since Jesus, as depicted in the gospels, was simply an ordinary Jewish human, trying to make his religion better, you can believe in God and Christ without believing in Christianity - a religion made up by Peter and Paul.
Reply 68
spk
Jesus was Jewish and was only trying to modernise and revitalise Jewish religious practices, which had become too obsessed with dogma, ritual and bureaucracy.

Since Jesus, as depicted in the gospels, was simply an ordinary Jewish human, trying to make his religion better, you can believe in God and Christ without believing in Christianity - a religion made up by Peter and Paul.

Peter and Paul didn't make up Christianity. Christianity is what Jesus preached. Jesus started the first church. The gospels donot depict him as an ordinary man. He is fully man, but he is fully God. I would say that if you believe in the power and sovereignty of God and Jesus and believe upon his teachings then you would believe in christianity.
Mr Moncal
The moseic law is no longer in effect. Leviticus was part of the law, but when Jesus rose again the law was no longer needed because all it did was point to the coming of Jesus. But nearly everything that was said in the old testament is again repeated in the new testament, besides the law. There are no women priest and I don't see how you derived that there were?

The quote implied that there might have been, so I was just asking!

Women weren't allowed into the actual church so there was no way that they could speak in them. Today women aren't allowed to preach or pray in church. They are also never allowed to teach a class that contains adult males.

:eek: You're having a laugh. You have actually gotta be kidding me.
Reply 70
MadNatSci
:eek: You're having a laugh. You have actually gotta be kidding me.

What am I kidding about? In old testament times there was an outer courtyard for women. The women stayed in the outside and the men went farther in.
Now, women are allowed to teach other women and boys until they become mature.

p.s. I just got the funniest neg rep. "Jesus told me I should give you a negative rating" LMAO :tongue:
Mr Moncal
What am I kidding about? In old testament times there was an outer courtyard for women. The women stayed in the outside and the men went farther in.
Now, women are allowed to teach other women and boys until they become mature.

p.s. I just got the funniest neg rep. "Jesus told me I should give you a negative rating" LMAO :tongue:

Where does this happen? Does it not strike you as remotely absurd? Wherever this happens, have they heard of gender equality at all? If I lived there I'd go mad...

Yeah, sorry but that is quite a funny neg rep :biggrin: though mean! I do wish people wouldn't neg rep for differing opinions...
Reply 72
I'm slighty confused by just one point of this argument -

there are no women priests? That's true of the Roman Catholic Church, but not of other Christian denominations - Anglican priests/vicars can be women - i personally know two! Baptist ministers can be female - again, I know one.

Apart from that, keep going - this is very interesting and, yes, amusing.

(N.B - should probably let it slip - my dad is a Baptist minister! :eek: )
Reply 73
symun
I'm slighty confused by just one point of this argument -

there are no women priests? That's true of the Roman Catholic Church, but not of other Christian denominations - Anglican priests/vicars can be women - i personally know two! Baptist ministers can be female - again, I know one.

Apart from that, keep going - this is very interesting and, yes, amusing.

(N.B - should probably let it slip - my dad is a Baptist minister! :eek: )

There are women ministers but they are not members of scriptual churches. As a preacher's child you should know that the bible says women are to be silent in church.
Reply 74
MadNatSci
Where does this happen? Does it not strike you as remotely absurd? Wherever this happens, have they heard of gender equality at all? If I lived there I'd go mad...

Yeah, sorry but that is quite a funny neg rep :biggrin: though mean! I do wish people wouldn't neg rep for differing opinions...

I don't know if this still happens but I don't think so. It was at the temple in Jerusalem. If you look at a map of it there were courtyards. One for Jewish men, jewish women, and gentiles. Since the temple is no longer standing I don't know if this is still in practice.
And I laughed at the neg rep. They should have signed it because they are a comic genius.

Moncal, a 16 year old Americans posting on a UK Learning website, thinks the world was created in 6 days by a minor Jewish deity - do you seriously expect anything intelligible to come from him?

Yes, I am 16, I'm American, and I am posting on a UK website. That is relevant how? Judaism is monotheistic so they can't have a minor deity. Only the God of Abraham and David ect.
Reply 75
Since when was Anglicanism not a scriptual church? How amusing.... :rolleyes:
Mr Moncal
I don't know if this still happens but I don't think so. It was at the temple in Jerusalem. If you look at a map of it there were courtyards. One for Jewish men, jewish women, and gentiles. Since the temple is no longer standing I don't know if this is still in practice.
And I laughed at the neg rep. They should have signed it because they are a comic genius.

AH. You replied in the present tense, hence my confusion :smile:
Reply 77
symun
Since when was Anglicanism not a scriptual church? How amusing.... :rolleyes:

Just because a church claims affiliation with a denomination doesn't mean it follows the guidlines set in the bible which would make it scriptual. And church can stray from God's word. Could you describe the beliefs of the Anglican church?
Reply 78
Mr Moncal
Could you describe the beliefs of the Anglican church?

Big fat man wanted a new wife.
Reply 79
Anglicanism is watered-down Catholicism and minus the pope.

For further info, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicanism

Latest

Trending

Trending