The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge Tripos Maths Part three

I'm an undergraduate at Exeter, just finished third year of the MMath course, and I'm considering applying for the Cambridge Tripos Part 3 in either pure or applied maths but I'm not sure if it's worth it for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm not sure I stand any chance of getting in - my grade average is around 83% at the moment, but as far as I know Exeter is not particularly high up for maths, and their focus is more in applications of maths.I prefer more pure topics, although I'm also interested in Physics and am doing a module on Relativity and my masters project in quantum mechanics next year. 2) I'm not sure whether there's funding available, and as I will have already done a masters at Exeter, is it worth the money and time to do another one? However I do love maths and am very keen to continue further study - I'm currently doing a funded summer research project, which I'm finding a little challenging, and I would if possible love to continue learning new material before going straight into a PHD or further research. I would also love to live and study in Cambridge as I find Exeter's general attitude to studying not quite as serious as I would like. Any advice?
Original post by StarNoir
I'm an undergraduate at Exeter, just finished third year of the MMath course, and I'm considering applying for the Cambridge Tripos Part 3 in either pure or applied maths but I'm not sure if it's worth it for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm not sure I stand any chance of getting in - my grade average is around 83% at the moment, but as far as I know Exeter is not particularly high up for maths, and their focus is more in applications of maths.I prefer more pure topics, although I'm also interested in Physics and am doing a module on Relativity and my masters project in quantum mechanics next year. 2) I'm not sure whether there's funding available, and as I will have already done a masters at Exeter, is it worth the money and time to do another one? However I do love maths and am very keen to continue further study - I'm currently doing a funded summer research project, which I'm finding a little challenging, and I would if possible love to continue learning new material before going straight into a PHD or further research. I would also love to live and study in Cambridge as I find Exeter's general attitude to studying not quite as serious as I would like. Any advice?

Email the dept and see what they have to say about your applicant profile. My feeling is that they're more worried about your grades and what you're studying than where you're studying as they will have students from all over the world. You won't be eligible for a postgrad loan but there are other ways to fund a degree such as savings, a career development loan and uni funding so do some research around those.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
If you were applying with just a BSc, then you may have had issues in terms of getting a place. However, as you'd be applying with an integrated masters, you stand a better chance of acceptance. In terms of options, I would see how you find your final year options, and use that to work out what path you'd like to pursue. That said, the nature of the tripos is that you can take options from both sides if you feel that will suit you best.

If doing a PhD at Cambridge within the maths department is a goal for you, then doing part III is the most logical step. I know people who've gotten onto the PhD programme for maths without the Part III qualification, but not many.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending