Turn on thread page Beta

Star trek: behind the Sci-Fi watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Although star trek is an immensly enjoyable program to watch, many lessons can be learnt from it.
    The klingons represent what was communist russia in the orginal series and as such were always treated with hatred, as were the romulans. In the next generation, the cold war had ended, so it the romulans and the klingons no longer needed to be an enemy, so they were made peace with and later made allies, showing unification in the post cold war era.

Some could draw links between the dominion and the nazi party, who wished to rule the entire world and irradicate all those they thought inferior. As with the nazis, they were eventually defeated and in the process, former enemies allied together, just as in world war 2.

in the dominion war, the cardassians may be seen as the russians, who fought with the dominion initially, but then was betrayed and joined the alliance.

Episodes as well aso can give valuable lessons as well, such as in 'true Q', Q is made mortal for his meddlings and is forced to live as a mortal would. This would teach us that our actions have consequences and sometimes they can bring trouble onto us.

Can you think of any more episodes or meanings in star trek?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Although star trek is an immensly enjoyable program to watch, many lessons can be learnt from it.
    The klingons represent what was communist russia in the orginal series and as such were always treated with hatred, as were the romulans. In the next generation, the cold war had ended, so it the romulans and the klingons no longer needed to be an enemy, so they were made peace with and later made allies, showing unification in the post cold war era.

Some could draw links between the dominion and the nazi party, who wished to rule the entire world and irradicate all those they thought inferior. As with the nazis, they were eventually defeated and in the process, former enemies allied together, just as in world war 2.

in the dominion war, the cardassians may be seen as the russians, who fought with the dominion initially, but then was betrayed and joined the alliance.

Episodes as well aso can give valuable lessons as well, such as in 'true Q', Q is made mortal for his meddlings and is forced to live as a mortal would. This would teach us that our actions have consequences and sometimes they can bring trouble onto us.

Can you think of any more episodes or meanings in star trek?
    I guess i see the similarites, but i think you are looking WAY to deep into star trek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I guess i see the similarites, but i think you are looking WAY to deep into star trek.
    hey, what can I say, I over-anylise everything, why should star trek be any different.

ReputationRep:
    hey, what can I say, I over-anylise everything, why should star trek be any different.
    I believe all of those are published similarities aren't they?

How about the lesson that "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade." Or that a government can only rule you as long as they represent your interests. Both illustrated by the fact that the captian of the Enterprise is always going against his orders to save a friend or save the world ect.

ReputationRep:
    I am not entirely sure that star trek was written as a political commentry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    I am not entirely sure that star trek was written as a political commentry
    I thought that Gene Roddenberry said it was. For example Enterprise is the name of a U.S. carrier or something and also the name of a famous plane.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is still a USS enterprise aircraft carrier floating about somewhere, but that is just because sometimes ships tend to be named after old ships/vessels, thereby the writer was trying to provide some sort of accuracy. Also the program was about exploration, thereby the ship and its crew could be described as enterprising. Ergo Enterprise would be a logical name for the fictional space ship. Correct me if I am wrong, but that has nothing to do with politics.

ReputationRep:
    is it just me, or is it nothing special that a well-broadcast television show had morals and various subversive messages such as this... do not many television programs show that good is good, and bad is bad, and that you should try to say doing the good thing?

in addition to this, star trek was based in a superior world: where there is no need for money, or power craving etc. in a world like this, would it not be prudent to assume that morality and good turns were everyday occurances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    in addition to this, star trek was based in a superior world: where there is no need for money, or power craving etc. in a world like this, would it not be prudent to assume that morality and good turns were everyday occurances?
    It's not based on a superior world. It is based on our world between 2200 and 2500. And they always have power craving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    It's not based on a superior world. It is based on our world between 2200 and 2500. And they always have power craving.
    yes, but the idea is that the human race has evolved past the monetary needs, and poverty striken life of modern day earth. with no-one starving.

nothing is paid for: you do a job purely for the love of it and the satisfaction... to create, and live in, a world like this high moral standards are integral :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The episode where B'lanna Torres (half Kilingon/half human) tries to eradicate the Kilingon DNA of her unborn child to make it look human. This was a powerful message about self-acceptance, particularly relevant to people who have a negative self-image due to certain physical traits and also people of mixed race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic XXX)
    Certainly originally the Klingons were intentionally meant to echo the Russians. But since the end of the cold war, and the Next Generation, I believe they are more akin to Arabs.

Klingons and Arabs are blood-thirsty superstitious savages with limited intelligence, and little care for hygiene.

Indeed the Klingons in the 1960s and the Klingons since the first Star Trek movie look very different, perhaps unconsciously reflecting the new symbolism that the Klingons denote.

The Ferengi, of course, represent the Jew. The Romulan Empire has a kind of echo with China. The Federation, of course, USA. The Vulcans are akin to Buddhists.

Cardassians seem very German to me (cold blooded, dark uniformed genocidal maniacs). The Dominion represents what the Jews are working towards – the founders and rulers of a vast multi-racial empire bent on defending the founders and extending their iron rule to all (in DS9 the founders (shapeshifters/(Jews)) founded the Dominion because the solids (non-shapeshifers/"Gentiles") once almost exterminated them entirely (1940s)).

And Q is me.
    I doubt the ferengi are akin to jews, far from it, they are much more akin the the present climate of capitalism and those big multinational companies.

The dominion are far more like the americans than anything else, they want everyone to be their allies and then say that anyone who is not for them is against them.

The cardassians were not very genocidal, they were into occupation rather than ethnic cleansing. species 8472 is far more like the Germans, both sought to dessimate all 'lower life forms'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic XXX)
    Certainly originally the Klingons were intentionally meant to echo the Russians. But since the end of the cold war, and the Next Generation, I believe they are more akin to Arabs.

Klingons and Arabs are blood-thirsty superstitious savages with limited intelligence, and little care for hygiene.

Indeed the Klingons in the 1960s and the Klingons since the first Star Trek movie look very different, perhaps unconsciously reflecting the new symbolism that the Klingons denote.

The Ferengi, of course, represent the Jew. The Romulan Empire has a kind of echo with China. The Federation, of course, USA. The Vulcans are akin to Buddhists.

Cardassians seem very German to me (cold blooded, dark uniformed genocidal maniacs). The Dominion represents what the Jews are working towards – the founders and rulers of a vast multi-racial empire bent on defending the founders and extending their iron rule to all (in DS9 the founders (shapeshifters/(Jews)) founded the Dominion because the solids (non-shapeshifers/"Gentiles") once almost exterminated them entirely (1940s)).

And Q is me.
    No racial hatred here. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Borg. They are quite clearly representative of Microsoft .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Borg. They are quite clearly representative of Microsoft .
    Good one. 7 of 9 is not a borg, she represents the number of people that use microsoft products without caring that it came from microsoft. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    Good one. 7 of 9 is not a borg, she represents the number of people that use microsoft products without caring that it came from microsoft. :rolleyes:
    surely seven of nine would then actually be the size of a starship by herself, if not bigger?

ReputationRep:
    surely seven of nine would then actually be the size of a starship by herself, if not bigger?
    I am thinking around the size of the former moon of praxis.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking around the size of the former moon of praxis.
    lol. sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    lol. sounds about right.
    which incidently blew up, just as many microsoft users have done many times, epescially in the windows 95 era.

ReputationRep:
    which incidently blew up, just as many microsoft users have done many times, epescially in the windows 95 era.
    lol. indeed.

>looks in encyclopedia<

didn't actually explode... "a massive explosion on praxis in 2293 NEARLY shattered the satellite and caused severe environmental damage to the homeworld..."

please say that doesn't make me as sad as i think it does :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.