cigarette smoking and how it affects your lungs biologically.

Watch
psood1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi I'm having trouble with my question which is - describe the biological consequences of cigarette smoking on the human lungs
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by psood1234)
hi I'm having trouble with my question which is - describe the biological consequences of cigarette smoking on the human lungs
What do you have so far - we can help you extend your learning, but only if we know how far you've got on your own.
psood1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
What do you have so far - we can help you extend your learning, but only if we know how far you've got on your own.
so far i have-

Firstly if someone smokes deposits build up inside the bronchioles until it is distributed throughout the entire lungs.. Secondly smoking can damage the alveoli leading to a smaller surface area resulting in fewer alveoli.

its a 5 mark question and this is what i have so far ,
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
so far i have-

Firstly if someone smokes deposits build up inside the bronchioles until it is distributed throughout the entire lungs.. Secondly smoking can damage the alveoli leading to a smaller surface area resulting in fewer alveoli.

its a 5 mark question and this is what i have so far ,
Just to remind you, please quote anyone you want to reply using the @ sign and their username, otherwise we don't know you've replied to us

Yes, this is a good start - the tar in cigarette smoke gets deposited in the lungs. What about the effects on the body of nicotine? How does that affect the cardiovascular system? And what about other compounds in cigarette smoke which can cause disease? What's the classic disease caused by smoking?
psood1234
Rep:
?
Just to remind you, please quote anyone you want to reply using the @ sign and their username, otherwise we don't know you've replied to us

Yes, this is a good start - the tar in cigarette smoke gets deposited in the lungs. What about the effects on the body of nicotine? How does that affect the cardiovascular system? And what about other compounds in cigarette smoke which can cause disease? What's the classic disease caused by smoking?
Reality Check a classic disease would be Lung Cancer ,COPD ??
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Both are good examples. COPD especially because I find (from my brief time as a "tutor" at my old school) no one really mentioned it.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Excellent - yes.

So, you've got the tar in cigarette smoke being deposited in the lungs. The tar contains carcinogens (substances which cause cancer) increasing the risk of lung cancer AND throat/mouth cancer (don't forget these cancers too). You've also got COPD, but you need preferably to be able to explain the mechanism for this. What about smoking causes COPD? Can you think of a similar lung disease which is prevalent in smokers - beginning with B?

You now need to think about the effects of nicotine on the body. You're pretty much at 5 marks
psood1234
Rep:
?
Excellent - yes.

So, you've got the tar in cigarette smoke being deposited in the lungs. The tar contains carcinogens (substances which cause cancer) increasing the risk of lung cancer AND throat/mouth cancer (don't forget these cancers too). You've also got COPD, but you need preferably to be able to explain the mechanism for this. What about smoking causes COPD? Can you think of a similar lung disease which is prevalent in smokers - beginning with B?

You now need to think about the effects of nicotine on the body. You're pretty much at 5 marks
Reality Check Bronchitis?? and thank you for your help
psood1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Both are good examples. COPD especially because I find (from my brief time as a "tutor" at my old school) no one really mentioned it.
@blue_cow thank you
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Reality Check Bronchitis?? and thank you for your help
Bronchitis - exactly. And bronchitis can become chronic in smokers, where continual damage is done which overtakes the repair process.

So, you've got:

Lung diseases directly attributable to smoking: COPD, chronic bronchitis.
Massive increase in risk of lung, throat and mouth cancer (and increased risk of other cancers too)
Plus (and I'll fill this in for you here) cardiovascular effects from the nicotine:

Nicotine is a powerful stimulant, and has effects on the sympathetic NS, including:

Increased blood pressure - can lead to hypertension. This is because nicotine acts as a potent vasoconstrictor, increasing TPR and thus blood pressure.

Increased heart rate.

For real extension work, you could also look at the effects of smoking on cholesterol levels (particularly 'bad' LDL cholesterol) and how that links with the more direct cardiovascular effects I've mentioned earlier.
DrLuciferStrange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

damn man you really are an amazing tutor I wish I could hire you πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.14%
I'm not sure (27)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (287)
47.75%

Watched Threads