The Student Room Group

What age did you start paying parents rent & how much?

What age did you have to start paying your parents rent in order to live in their house and how much was it?
When i was on a gap year. I did not want to leave my house for 1 year so my mum decided to make me pay £50 a month. It's not a lot but it pays for food. It was mainly to just get me doing something despite the whole reason for my gap year was to do nothing for 1 year. I was 18-19, took a year off before uni
Reply 2
started at 19, was £80 a month

eventually grew to £200 a month

tbh a fair amount of people get to pay nothing..
Reply 3
I never will
I don't have to pay anything
Never, but in my defence I have offered many times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
22, when I left uni and moved back home. They didn't ask for rent until I'd got a full-time job though. It's £250 a month which is less than half what it would cost me to rent a room in a shared house in my area, so I'm ok with paying it.
When I turned 18 and £120pm, went up to £240pm when I got a better paying job a couple of years later.

Moved out now though (Have been for a while).
I had to pay £300 per month in my gap year, but when my son gets to that age, I think we will only make him pay rent when he has a full time job. But then we would put it away for him for when he moves out :-)
£50 a week from when I turned 16, I went straight into full time work after school though.
Never did. Don't know anyone who was asked to.
I was lucky enough not to have to pay anything, although I did offer
£20 pound a week when I turned 17 part time job and in full time education and on top of that brought a weeks worth of food shopping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending