The Student Room Group

NCS phase 1

For the past few days I have was at NCS doing phase 1. I really didn't like it because I didn't like the activities. I couldn't do anything for example: archery, canoeing etc. everyone in my group is friendly and funny. But I feel like I can't communicate with them.

I am in a very hard position where I felt homesick to a servere level. Where I felt as if my anxiety and anti-socialness was taking over me, the worst bit was that I felt very depressed in those 5 days. I kept on crying myself to sleep every day because I missed my friends. I missed people talking to me and including me and liking me.

I have to go back to NCS in 2 days and honestly I don't feel like it. We have made a group chat and I don't feel included. I feel left out. Even on the hike I felt very lonely and as if no-one cared.

Plus it didn't help that the I wasn't getting a good nights sleep or good food, I kept in throwing my food away and I would get headaches on a daily basis. The day before I felt sick and had a temperature.

I was so happy to come back home, but the thought of going back isn't working for me. I have never experienced something like this l, normally I get along with people really well, I even told my friends today. They said that the uni accomadation would be better than phase 1 and I will get along with people.

Today me and my friends met at a cafe and I swear to god I was so happy to meet them. I hugged them and told them how much I missed them. But when I was narrating my problem of struggling with my group, I was feeling very tensed and annoyed. I was throwing the plate and cutlery due to frustration. Also I was getting a headache and they could see that I wasn't feeling good.

Even on the coach back I didn't know who I was, when I was listening to my music I felt it was pulling me together, because I lost my spark.

Sorry that this is long.

@The Joker ~
@qasim_96

@SGHD26716
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

NCS isn't suitable for those with attachment syndrome then :tongue: could've done DofE at a younger age instead
Original post by shawn_o1
NCS isn't suitable for those with attachment syndrome then :tongue: could've done DofE at a younger age instead

It's not that am attached, I couldn't do anything. I can't even get along with my own group.
If you don't want to go back then don't go, honestly. I thought NCS was a great experience but if you're not feeling it then just don't go, there's no point feeling uncomfortable. That said however, it might be worth seeing it out because you might enjoy the other weeks more. Perhaps you havent been very outgoing and that's why you feel left out? maybe message someone from your group privately and speak to them and try and get closer? Just do what makes you comfortable honestly.
I'm really sorry to hear :frown: I know someone else who is currently on NCS and doesn't like it. It's a new experience for you so you'll be really nervous. Have you spoken to someone about this?
Original post by qasim_96
I'm really sorry to hear :frown: I know someone else who is currently on NCS and doesn't like it. It's a new experience for you so you'll be really nervous. Have you spoken to someone about this?

My friends.

I actually want to cry.

How is your friend?
Reply 6
Don't go back, honestly NCS really isn't for everyone. I knew it wasn't for me so I didn't do it but if you really dont want to go back you shouldn't. Summer is time to relax and having fun so you should do that. Maybe just go back and give it one more go, really try to push yourself out of your comfort zone and talk to people, but if you're still not enjoying it after that go home?
Original post by TheAlchemistress
My friends.

I actually want to cry.

How is your friend?

If you feel like this then ask if you can stop attending

Don't cry :console: I understand that these things can lead you to feel really bad cause it's a totally new experience that you're not used to.

She's actually in a similar position to you. She's in her 2nd week and she totally hates it and wishes she was at home.
(edited 6 years ago)
My sister had a lot of stress during NCS aswell, which is why I cancelled today.

Maybe you can withdraw? Or just suffer a little more until its over.
If you feel like this then ask if you can stop attending

Don't cry :console: I understand that these things can lead you to feel really bad cause it's a totally new experience that you're not used to.

She's actually in a similar position to you. She's in her 2nd week and she totally hates it and wishes she was at home.

Why? Is it her group?
Original post by Faloodeh
My sister had a lot of stress during NCS aswell, which is why I cancelled today.

Maybe you can withdraw? Or just suffer a little more until its over.

I will suffer.
How was your sister's experience?
Why? Is it her group?

It's just generally she hates the activities and doesn't wanna be there. I'm trying to get in contact with her now to see what she's been doing to cope.
It's just generally she hates the activities and doesn't wanna be there. I'm trying to get in contact with her now to see what she's been doing to cope.

Sorry, to hear. Hopefully she is alright. 👍😊
Original post by Amy99
Don't go back, honestly NCS really isn't for everyone. I knew it wasn't for me so I didn't do it but if you really dont want to go back you shouldn't. Summer is time to relax and having fun so you should do that. Maybe just go back and give it one more go, really try to push yourself out of your comfort zone and talk to people, but if you're still not enjoying it after that go home?

It's for EXTROVERTS!
Which I'm not...
Sorry, to hear. Hopefully she is alright. 👍😊

Thanks :smile: I was just hoping that she could help give you some advice on how to make it through NCS.
Thanks :smile: I was just hoping that she could help give you some advice on how to make it through NCS.

Oh, okay. Thank you 😊
Oh, okay. Thank you 😊

Heyyy im that friend he's on about lol

Ive just about finished week 2 at notts uni tomorrow and literally week 1 i absolutely hated cuz im not the type that would touch mud or be at one with earth. Like no way. So i barely did any activities. Friends wasnt a problem as I already had many friends going on it on the same date as me. Week 2 was completely crap activities wise as they werent useful or anything. But its great to just chill with your friends and have fun.

What dont you like about ncs so far? Hard to talk to people? Etc etc. Fill me in g.
Reply 17
It's for EXTROVERTS!
Which I'm not...

honestly i know how you feel, i did two summer schools last summer and I found them really hard because I'm not an extrovert but I really pushed myself to make friends and I know its tough but it does make it easier. If you dont want to go back at all then you dont have to
Original post by dat.sour.ting
Heyyy im that friend he's on about lol

Ive just about finished week 2 at notts uni tomorrow and literally week 1 i absolutely hated cuz im not the type that would touch mud or be at one with earth. Like no way. So i barely did any activities. Friends wasnt a problem as I already had many friends going on it on the same date as me. Week 2 was completely crap activities wise as they werent useful or anything. But its great to just chill with your friends and have fun.

What dont you like about ncs so far? Hard to talk to people? Etc etc. Fill me in g.

I'm an introvert, everyone is an extrovert.
They played never have I ever, so there was talks about sex, drugs etc, which made me uncomfortable.
But being able to communicate with everyone, am okay with the girls just the guys because I went to a girls school for 5 years and I don't have a brother, so I keep out of the way.
I feel like a loner and depressed since I don't seem to talk and it hurts because I know am not like that.
Original post by Amy99
honestly i know how you feel, i did two summer schools last summer and I found them really hard because I'm not an extrovert but I really pushed myself to make friends and I know its tough but it does make it easier. If you dont want to go back at all then you dont have to

I know 😞
But I know I can do better than that.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending