Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    some people (due to religion etc.) would refuse a blood transfusion, or a transplant... :rolleyes:
    that i don't have a problem with it is more people who don't want to donate their organs but would deffinately accept a transplant if they needed one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    that i don't have a problem with it is more people who don't want to donate their organs but would deffinately accept a transplant if they needed one.
    mmmmmm.. i can see where you're coming from, and incidentally, totally agree with you... but even if the new system came into play... see: http://www.uk-learning.net/t51918.html would it be morally right to say that people who registered as not wanting to donate could not be the recipient of an organ ?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    would it be morally right to say that people who registered as not wanting to donate could not be the recipient of an organ ?? :confused:
    Of course it wouldn't. It would be immoral to discriminate against a patient.

Interestingly this leads onto another ethical question of would you prefer to have a system where you, as an organ donor, can choose whether you want convicted paedophiles and murderers to be able to use your organs or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Of course it wouldn't. It would be immoral to discriminate against a patient.

Interestingly this leads onto another ethical question of would you prefer to have a system where you, as an organ donor, can choose whether you want convicted paedophiles and murderers to be able to use your organs or not?
    which again, is immoral as it's the whole "lowering yourself to their level" scenario...

and also leads to the question of how far it would go... as you would get some people who would say, "i dont want it going to an asian", or "i dont want it going to a homosexual" etc....

ReputationRep:
    I think I am a doner - when I did my provisional driving licence it asked about donating organs and I said take what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I already have a donor card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    (Original post by spk)
    People who don't want to donate their own organs should still be entitled to receive donated organs, since the central concept of the NHS is universal health care, free at the point of delivery. If you were to start prohibiting treatment, it would be a slippery slope to not providing care for smokers, alcoholics, obese people, car drivers and passengers, etc.
    I completely agree with spk.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard too many cases of people being pronounced dead by incompetent doctors, only to wake up in the morgue. So until i get round this fear then no.

EDIT: Im fine with giving blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I've heard too many cases of people being pronounced dead by incompetent doctors, only to wake up in the morgue.
    Citation or link, please.

And even if you have heard of 10 cases, remember that there are about 60 million people in the UK, so such occurrences will be so rare as to be statistically irrelevant - although that won't be of much use to you if you do wake up in the morgue.

ReputationRep:
    After reading thro the posts on this thread i am saying this;

Yes doctors in a way do play God, but u've just gotta trust them not to abuse the rite.
    I am going to donate my organs, bcos i wont b needing them ne more, i also like the thought of saving lives after death, its kinda heroic, and i have heard that in the case of untimly death, friends and relitives have bn comforted by the idea that the peson who they have lost has helped someone and that (say a heart was donated) their heart was still alive in someone.
    As for keeping the heart pumping whilst taking the organs; yes it is a bit weird to think about as u wud b "alive" but its also very important that it happens or the organs wont work, so i dont mind that bit.
    I agree that waking up in a morgue is a scary prospect, but also that its very unlikely! - and u wudnt if u donated ur organs
    Giving blood is good too, hopefuly i will one day
    I also agree that ppl who rnt going to donate shud b able to get donated organs themselves, but i think those ppl shud seriously reconsider their decision as it rly isnt going to harm them in ne way but it mite harm someone else. ~Wat goes around comes around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyPyro)
    i have heard that in the case of untimly death, friends and relitives have bn comforted by the idea that the peson who they have lost has helped someone and that (say a heart was donated) their heart was still alive in someone.
    By agreeing to donate your organs after you die, you can end up saving the lives or improving the health and well-being of as many as 10 different people or even more!

Who could not want that?

ReputationRep:
    If you're reading this, it means you are online RIGHT NOW! So, if you haven't already done so, you should register your intention to be an organ donor RIGHT NOW! It only takes two minutes at:

https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt...ydetailsservlet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    Citation or link, please.

And even if you have heard of 10 cases, remember that there are about 60 million people in the UK, so such occurrences will be so rare as to be statistically irrelevant - although that won't be of much use to you if you do wake up in the morgue.
    Statistically you are more likely to be killed crossing the road than flying, yet this knowledge doesnt cause mass cases of Dromophobia and cure Pteromerhanophobia. My phobia is rooted in the depths of irrationality like most others. But if you must, here are some links:

http://www.news24.com/Regional_Paper...4733~E,00.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200202/s480283.htm
    Also, the most disturbing story i have heard was from a family member who works in a hospital. Two porters went to fetch a body for a family viewing and when they opened the fridge they discovered huge pools of blood and bloddy finger marks on the door. They got a nurse who said there was nothing that could be done and so they cleaned up the blood and never told the family. This story will haunt me forever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    If you were to die would you wish that your organs were used as transplants for other patients?
    I'm an organ donor already why should the detritivores and decomposers be eating away at the organs when there is someone's life dependant on them!

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmm.. i can see where you're coming from, and incidentally, totally agree with you... but even if the new system came into play... see: http://www.uk-learning.net/t51918.html would it be morally right to say that people who registered as not wanting to donate could not be the recipient of an organ ?? :confused:
    It wouldn't be morrally right and I wouldn't support such a system. I just think it is a bit hypocritical.

(Original post by Lil !*!)
    Yes, I already have a donor card.
    You should put yourself on the register too just to be sure . That is what they recomend anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I used to have a donor card when I was younger, but the thought of me dying and being cut up creeped me the hell out, so I threw it away. I will get round to getting anther one one of these days.

I think giving blood is a good idea, but something about that also creeps me out.
    In my opinion I have more understanding for people who do not feel well about giving blood. Giving blood can be painful and lots of people are quite uncomfortable about it and feel quite dissy afterwards. Donating organs, however, doesnt affect you much in life at all. You merely sign a paper and thats it. I have personally way more respect for those who donate blood than those who have signed their donor cards (though both should be praised).

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion I have more understanding for people who do not feel well about giving blood. Giving blood can be painful and lots of people are quite uncomfortable about it and feel quite dissy afterwards. Donating organs, however, doesnt affect you much in life at all. You merely sign a paper and thats it. I have personally way more respect for those who donate blood than those who have signed their donor cards (though both should be praised).
    i can see what you are saying there... i mean, i have a morbid fear of needles (nearly passed out on the HEAF test, never mind when i had the actual TB jab... and also feel ill just thinking about them too much ) and although i am in the position where i cannot give blood (sexually active gay male) i have real respect for those who do: for i dont know if i could ever bring myself to give blood even if i was in a situation where i could

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Also, the most disturbing story i have heard was from a family member who works in a hospital. Two porters went to fetch a body for a family viewing and when they opened the fridge they discovered huge pools of blood and bloddy finger marks on the door. They got a nurse who said there was nothing that could be done and so they cleaned up the blood and never told the family. This story will haunt me forever!
    Relax , I can tell you for certain this never happened. These storries are very common. All teh way back to teh middle ages you have stories about scratchmarks inside coffins which have been opened. During the 16th century it was also popular to build in all sorts of devices that would beused to allert peopel outside they wre allive if burried. Still, no case has ever been documented that this has happened. People have been diagnosed dead, and later found to be alive, but not burried alive. Its a story similar to that of teh carpenter who made a wall-to-wall carpet above a bird and later smashed it with a hammer, or that common claim that a womman in the us sued a company because her dog dried when she tried to dry it in teh microwave (this has never happened people). Also, if you really want to avoid waking up inside a coffin, donate organs. Theres no way you will wake up in your coffin without livers, hearth or kidneys.

ReputationRep:
    Relax , I can tell you for certain this never happened. These storries are very common. All teh way back to teh middle ages you have stories about scratchmarks inside coffins which have been opened. During the 16th century it was also popular to build in all sorts of devices that would beused to allert peopel outside they wre allive if burried. Still, no case has ever been documented that this has happened. People have been diagnosed dead, and later found to be alive, but not burried alive. Its a story similar to that of teh carpenter who made a wall-to-wall carpet above a bird and later smashed it with a hammer, or that common claim that a womman in the us sued a company because her dog dried when she tried to dry it in teh microwave (this has never happened people). Also, if you really want to avoid waking up inside a coffin, donate organs. Theres no way you will wake up in your coffin without livers, hearth or kidneys.
    Yeah you'll die on the operating theatre so you'll definatly not have to worry about waking up Thats my plan anyhow, no slow painful deaths in coffins or cremetoriums for me

ReputationRep:
    I'd donate my organs.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.