Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    If you were to die would you wish that your organs were used as transplants for other patients?
    Absolutely. Whatever they need, they can have. (Apart from my face, that would be too weird )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Absolutely. Whatever they need, they can have. (Apart from my face, that would be too weird )
    To some traffic victimes a new face would actually be a blessing. Besides, its not the skin that determines your faceal features its the bone behind it. Therefore if someone got your face they would still nto look like you (Except skin color etc, but I assume they will not put a black face on a white body or vice versa....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    quick question: as you feel so strongly about it, would you bother to register as someone who did not want organs donated? :confused:
    Yes I would. Though I am not that bad, I do donate blood and I am a registered bone marrow donor. Its just I do not like the idea of bits of me being in someone else. Especially if this whol theory about organ distributed memory is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Yes I would. Though I am not that bad, I do donate blood and I am a registered bone marrow donor. Its just I do not like the idea of bits of me being in someone else. Especially if this whol theory about organ distributed memory is true.
    Memory is mainly a brain feature. That is why your memory will be impaired if you suffer a major brain damage, but not if you get a hearth transplant. Also, why would it be so bad if some pieces of you were in someone else? It surely is better than getting eaten by worms and rotting, isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    fair enough... i was just making the point, that if a system where donation was assumed is introduced, people would bather to say that they do not want their organs removed, whereas, in the current system people often just cannot be bothered to register: therefore more donateions would be avaliable, and more lives would be saved

ReputationRep:
    Memory is mainly a brain feature. That is why your memory will be impaired if you suffer a major brain damage, but not if you get a hearth transplant. Also, why would it be so bad if some pieces of you were in someone else? It surely is better than getting eaten by worms and rotting, isnt it?
    not in any nasty way, do you know that it's heart, not hearth? just saying, as i know you're not from UK and you've put hearth twice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    not in any nasty way, do you know that it's heart, not hearth? just saying, as i know you're not from UK and you've put hearth twice
    Its ok. I can't spell Swedish either

ReputationRep:
    I have heard stories (dunno where) of people who have had heart transplants and ended up with different personalities rather than that of their own. Freaked me out! I dunno why, I do almost everything else. Blood donation, bone marrow donor, i have a piercing and may one day get a tatoo, so there is not much that really scares me apart from organ donation!

Edit: I know it is completely irrational but i'm only human!

ReputationRep:
    I have heard stories (dunno where) of people who have had heart transplants and ended up with different personalities rather than that of their own.
    If this is true, it is more likely to be due to the sudden change in the person's general health and well-being and their altered outlook on life, rather than somehow being taken over by the personality of the donor.

ReputationRep:
    Its ok. I can't spell Swedish either
    lol. like me in english: i have to keep opening Word to check my spelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    If this is true, it is more likely to be due to the sudden change in the person's general health and well-being and their altered outlook on life, rather than somehow being taken over by the personality of the donor.
    or just a subconcious frame of mind regarding the fact that they have someone else's organ inside them...

ReputationRep:
    If you were to die would you wish that your organs were used as transplants for other patients?
    Of course

first, why not? I'm not gonna know
    second, it's like part of me is living for a longer time... quite cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    second, it's like part of me is living for a longer time... quite cool
    that is a really cool perspective to have on it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Think about it this way, when ur dying in your bed and you need a transplant bad, maby you would think different, whats the use of keeping them to rot. So many people need tranplants and they cant get them because there just isnt the organs to go around. Christ, its hard to get people just to give blood.

ReputationRep:
    One of my professors told me yesterday that even if you mark that you want to be an organ donor on your driver's license, your family can still stop the hospital from taking your organs once you're dead. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    One of my professors told me yesterday that even if you mark that you want to be an organ donor on your driver's license, your family can still stop the hospital from taking your organs once you're dead. :confused:
    This is correct, however, it sends a message to your family as to what your wishes are.

(Original post by Dajo123)
    I've heard too many cases of people being pronounced dead by incompetent doctors, only to wake up in the morgue. So until i get round this fear then no.

EDIT: Im fine with giving blood.
    too many cases my arse. There is a vvvvv rare condition which can lead to this, but other than that it is soooooooooooo rare. When it does tho its highly publicised. Theres a woman in australia whos had it happen 3 times - she has this rare condition which causes her heart rate to fall so low as to be undetectable - but enough to stay alive. Nowadays though the ECGs (better than the old 3 lead ones) pick up just about anything
    J

what kind of bulls*it idea is that!?
    Have you ever heard of someone with a donated kidney getting someone else's memories? And i mean from a reputable source, not from some american show on the scifi channel.
    methinks not
    J

Addressing points i've seen raised

1) I've opted for all my organs to be donated, and am also on the anthony nolan bone marrow donor list. - meaning if i match up to anyone in the world (which basically means anyone caucasians anywhere)

2) I'm all for the opt out law (which failed to get passed damn it)

3) I think that the fool who said "the point that doctors do play God" should be pitied - of course doctors play god. In a natural world most of us would be dead by 40. What amuses me is that as time goes on peoples objections to how the doctors play god resind. Most people wouldn't balk at getting a blood transfusion. (that is of course a bag full of someone else's bodily fluids - their cells) But those same people find it objectional to give/recieve a solid organ.

4) However i feel that SciFi25 is a fool who should be pitied 'in the extreme'.

5) randdom "that i don't have a problem with it is more people who don't want to donate their organs but would deffinately accept a transplant if they needed one." - Bang on. Its a symptom of a selfish society.

6) Of course people realise that Jehovahs witnesses believe that body = soul hence don't believe in transplants/transfusions. In the case of children us doctors get to override their feelings though if we eel they are co-ercing their kids. Joy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    This is correct, however, it sends a message to your family as to what your wishes are.
    I want to donate organs but know it would be distressing for my family at the time of my death.

If you do want to donate, make sure you talk to relatives and loved ones about this decision, just so its not sprung upon them at the end. You have to consider other peoples feelings, as if they know you're up for donation it could hinder the grieving process with the knowledge that a bit of you is still alive somewhere, but you as a person are not.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.