TasnimCh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any tips for Verbal Reasoning because I am literally flopping and my UKCAT is next week?
I still don't know whether I should read the passage first or read the question and then scan???Any advice for what worked well for you?
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there,

You should always try the keyword approach when you can.

Let me know if you have any questions

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 14.38.37.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  108.9 KB

With Love,
Medic Mind
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of people find Writer Questions in the VR section tricky.

Writer Questions are centred around the writer’s opinion. For example:

• Which of the following would the author most likely agree with?
  • Which of the following does the author cite as a reason for the recession?
  • The author’s strongest stated opinion is…

For these questions we should only worry about the view of the author, not facts or statistics unless the writer has given an opinion on them.

Writer Question Approach

You can use the keyword approach again for Writer Questions. It is, however, particularly important to do step 1 thoroughly, and it is often worth reading the last few lines of the passage too:

Read the first two lines and last two lines of the passage to understand the general author opinion

Pick a keyword from the question statement

Search the passage to find the keyword. Read from the sentence before to the sentence after.

Eliminate the incorrect answers and select the correct one.

Finding the Conclusion of the Passage

The conclusion is the overall opinion of the passage. It can often be found at the end in the last paragraph, but the writer may also mention it in the first sentence of the passage and go on to discuss and justify the conclusion throughout the passage.

Finding the Writer’s Strongest Opinion

• The writer’s most strongly stated opinion will tend to be found in the conclusion of the passage, so that is the best place to look.
  • The strongest stated opinion may be mentioned the most number of times, or it could be a topic discussed in the most detail.
  • When a question asks you for the writer’s strongest opinion, all of the options may be views held by the author. Therefore if you find a reference to statement A, for example, do not automatically assume that is the answer. You should check each option and find the strongest view.
  • Ideally the strongest view will be surrounded by an indicator phrase:

‘Most important of all…’

‘The most pressing issue…’

‘…. is very important’

Timing for Writer Questions

Author questions can be quite time-consuming because to understand the writer opinion you sometimes have to read several lines. Therefore be wary not to spend too much time on them if you cannot reach the answer.

All the material for these VR longer type questions are covered in our free VR guide

I hope that helps anyone that is confused about that
TasnimCh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you sooo much!!!
(Original post by Medic Mind)
A lot of people find Writer Questions in the VR section tricky.

Writer Questions are centred around the writer’s opinion. For example:

• Which of the following would the author most likely agree with?
  • Which of the following does the author cite as a reason for the recession?
  • The author’s strongest stated opinion is…

For these questions we should only worry about the view of the author, not facts or statistics unless the writer has given an opinion on them.

Writer Question Approach

You can use the keyword approach again for Writer Questions. It is, however, particularly important to do step 1 thoroughly, and it is often worth reading the last few lines of the passage too:

Read the first two lines and last two lines of the passage to understand the general author opinion

Pick a keyword from the question statement

Search the passage to find the keyword. Read from the sentence before to the sentence after.

Eliminate the incorrect answers and select the correct one.

Finding the Conclusion of the Passage

The conclusion is the overall opinion of the passage. It can often be found at the end in the last paragraph, but the writer may also mention it in the first sentence of the passage and go on to discuss and justify the conclusion throughout the passage.

Finding the Writer’s Strongest Opinion

• The writer’s most strongly stated opinion will tend to be found in the conclusion of the passage, so that is the best place to look.
  • The strongest stated opinion may be mentioned the most number of times, or it could be a topic discussed in the most detail.
  • When a question asks you for the writer’s strongest opinion, all of the options may be views held by the author. Therefore if you find a reference to statement A, for example, do not automatically assume that is the answer. You should check each option and find the strongest view.
  • Ideally the strongest view will be surrounded by an indicator phrase:

‘Most important of all…’

‘The most pressing issue…’

‘…. is very important’

Timing for Writer Questions

Author questions can be quite time-consuming because to understand the writer opinion you sometimes have to read several lines. Therefore be wary not to spend too much time on them if you cannot reach the answer.

All the material for these VR longer type questions are covered in our free VR guide

I hope that helps anyone that is confused about that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads