Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I want to apply to Oxford and am in a major precidament with my AS Level grades and I wanted your honest opinions as to whether someone like me can get into LMH college for PPE. Here goes:

GCSE grades were 4A*, 4A and 2Bs
    AS Level grades(yikes!): AABC (C in ICT which im dropping)
    Im a school senior prefect
    (economics 295/300. maths 270/300)
    I play Rugby for Essex and Table Tennis for England School Boys
    Young Enterprise President
    2 Economics published articles in magazines (Young Economist and Dismal Scientst)
    Clarinet grade 5
    work experience in frankfurt at credit suisse
    ummmm....oh and I debated for my school at the Cambridge Union competiton.

Please be honest. I can take it. Please can you tell me how large an effect my AS Level grades will have. Im retaking the non-A ones in jan.

angs

ReputationRep:
    Think you're being paranoid. Harvard should be giving you a full scholarship.

And also dyslexic.
    "precidament"? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    AS levels aren't *that* important. As long as you're predicted 3 As, you stand a pretty good chance. That said, I'm not sure anyone stands more than a 50% chance, simply due to good competition, but you look like an impressive candidate. It's largely down to the interview, but you definately look good enough on paper. Some explantion of why you're AS grades weren't as good might be appropriate, but they're not that bad, especially if you're dropping ICT (which isn't the most important subject to mess up on).

All in all, impressive

ReputationRep:
    You've got worse grades than I did, but better general crap like sports and work experience. We can't tell whether you're smart enough from what you've posted, though. When I was getting interviewed I had worse grades than most people, but I did well in the written paper, which apparently carried more weight.

So, basically, I don't know, and it's unlikely that anyone else will.

ReputationRep:
    You have several things that make you stand out as suitable for Oxford and PPE - Young Enterprise, debating, having articles published in respected journals and strong performances in Economics and Maths. Your grades probably won't hold you back, perhaps they would expect slightly more if you are from a large public school, but if you can handle yourself well in an interview then you have a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to give a good, reliable answer; your grades are good enough, but won't stand out in a pile of 30 applications. Along similar lines, your extra curriculars are good enough, but not spectacular. You're just like any normal Oxford candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anguman)
    :

GCSE grades were 4A*, 4A and 2Bs
    AS Level grades(yikes!): AABC (C in ICT which im dropping)

Hey! you stole my grades!

3A*s 4As 3Bs
    A-level AABC (the old style A-levels; although I was predicted AAAB)

And I got in! not for PPE, for Human Sciences but they aren't totally disimilar (actually they aren't)

You have to remember that the grades will be good enough to get you an interview, and in the interview (and personal statement) is where you can really start to sell yourself.

And I had no extra-curicular stuff, at all.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers peeps,

Jus wasn't sure whether I was doing the rite thing. There are many concrete stereotypes with regards to the quintessential Oxford candidate. I don't want to fit into that prescribed mold but still want to be admired by the admissions tutors. I go to a middle-range private school so its touch and go whether they will consider me. I just really want to get in. I attended the open day in July. I was kinda surprised by he tutors who told us bout the PPE course. I thought they were going to be pretentious, caucasian 60 yr olds but I was sooooo wrong. Felt somewhat at ease after that. Just (intelligent) normal lookin people. Thanks again guys and gals.

Angu

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.