richyy95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically I am 21 and am really bored of my life.

Studied IT for 3 years in college got 100% marks and got D* D* D* - really happy with that.

That was now 2 years ago and in that 2 years I have been working with my family doing carpentry (not what I want or IT related at all).

To keep it short, I want to go to university by next September 2018 or whenever it starts, I will almost be 23 but **** it.

When do the uni fairs open so I can go look at all the options and how do i get more info on unis?

Lastly, I am verryyyyyy interested in studying in the USA for uni, is this possible for a UK citizen and has anyone got advice on "abroad" unis.

Cheers.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes you can do a year abroad in the US, if the university you apply to offers it. Not all have links to US colleges, and frankly most are pretty sub-par state schools due to how higher education funding is structured in the US.

UCAS has a lot of general information, more than you may think. You can get more specific information by going to the university's webpage - e.g. cam.ac.uk, and navigating from there. Some have more information than others - the more helpful ones have separate department pages where you can see the modules available to current students, as well as overall course structure and possibilities for study abroad. They will also have information about open days etc on their own webpage.

I would recommend looking into the universities nearest to you, online, and seeing when their next open day is. They typically hold open days periodically throughout the year, and most will have some coming up in the new academic year no matter what. You can then go to that, and get an idea of what an open day will actually provide you, that isn't available elsewhere (i.e. online) and decide if it's worth going to open days at more distant universities.
richyy95
Rep:
?
I am talking about studying full in america not just a year is that possible?
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by richyy95)
I am talking about studying full in america not just a year is that possible?
The cost of studying in the USA is generally high, even for the local students. For international students it is even higher. Realistically, unless you have a fairly wealthy background it will cost a lot to get into good universities in the USA.

There are other options, such as liberal arts colleges etc which would be cheaper (still expensive for what they are though), but of course the reputation of these are not as good, so keep that in mind if you care about university prestige (for going into IT it isn't a big deal in my personal opinion though). Bare in mind also, you will need to live in the USA for 4yrs, also quite expensive!

Your best bet (if not wealthy) is a scholarship.

Note that you say you have 100% in your, presumably (given the grades are D*), BTEC. I'd say there will be a strong chance there will be a possibility of a scholarship with some institution somewhere. It probably won't be the top top places such as MIT (no idea what their requirements are tbh), but I'm sure there will be decent universities somewhere that will offer you a scholarship. You'll have to research those yourself as I've never looked into that myself. However a classmate of mine from school got a scholarship to a small university in the USA because he played football (soccer) at local level at home (he wasn't an outstanding player by any means). So I'd be willing to bet you could get a scholarship to a better more renowned university given the scholarship would be academically based and also you have reliable evidence for it.

Also, on that note, if you play football or anything, I'd say big that up, as they seem to love that and might help you out.

Edit:
Just to add, in case university reputation is important to you, while a degree from a small, relatively unheard of university in USA may not hold much weight in big law firms or investment banks. An IT related degree is much more about what you can do and prove you can do, eg by building a solid portfolio while you are studying. People (particularly on this site) will scream about the importance of university rankings, really they mean little once you get past the initial stages of the application process, it will come down to what you can demonstrate more than anything.

Also, do not underestimate the how much having taken the initiative to seek a scholarship and head overseas for 4yrs would look to any employer, it would certainly balance out any downsides to the rank of the university in my opinion. Would make for a more interesting CV than the hundreds of UK/home students from UK universities. Plus you'd note on the CV you were a name_of_scholarship scholar at the said university!
richyy95
Rep:
?
Wow really great response!! I will look into scholarships, I know that the process will be much more expensive than UK unis, but it sounds so much more interesting in USA and I love it there (been there 5 times). Just appeals to me more than a Uni up north in the UK or whatever haha.
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by richyy95)
Wow really great response!! I will look into scholarships, I know that the process will be much more expensive than UK unis, but it sounds so much more interesting in USA and I love it there (been there 5 times). Just appeals to me more than a Uni up north in the UK or whatever haha.
Consider Canada also, pretty impressive place and you'd like it just as much as the US.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (143)
24.49%
Pop (142)
24.32%
Jazz (26)
4.45%
Classical (32)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (103)
17.64%