The Student Room Group

A-Level Results Day 2017: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here!

Looking for the 2018 version? Click here.

A-Level Results Day 2017: Didn't do as well as you hoped?

To all the A-level students out there, it's nearly that dreaded time of the year! Many of us have been, or still are, in your situation, and can understand how anxious you must be feeling. I hope you all get the grades that you're hoping for, but there will definitely be a mix of emotions for some of you on the day, and if you didn't do as well as you hoped, it's not the end of the world; there are still options available to you, and we hope that this thread can give you an idea about some of them :hugs:

You might find the guide to AS results day and the guide to A-level results day useful. If you've just collected your AS results a number of common questions have been answered on Changing Skies's AS levels FAQ & Advice: What's next? thread. When released, you can find grade boundaries for this year's exams on The Financier's grade boundaries thread.

If your question isn't answered/you'd like more information, post in the thread and the results day team will try our best to help.

Best of luck to all of you for your results, and we really hope that you get whatever you're hoping for :h:

FIRST YEAR A LEVEL

SECOND YEAR A LEVEL & MISSED MY FIRM/INSURANCE

REVIEW OF MARKS INFORMATION

RETAKE INFORMATION

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just gonna setup camp here, put the kettle on and then wallow in self pity :smile:
Original post by jamestg
Just gonna setup camp here, put the kettle on and then wallow in self pity :smile:

Can I join in the wallowing too? :redface:
Original post by physicsamor

Me three :redface:

But you got this, i know you have! :h:
Original post by BintM

Hey there :h:!!! And pahlease I have every faith in you that you will do really well!! Im just 102% sure my maths grade went down the drain.
Original post by jamestg

Original post by BintM

You're all gonna do great, have some faith in yourselves :hugs: plus there's always help and advice if things do go wrong - I should know! I missed both of my offers but kept calm and went through the review system and am now going into my second year of my original firm uni :h:
Original post by Gingerbread101
You're all gonna do great, have some faith in yourselves :hugs: plus there's always help and advice if things do go wrong - I should know! I missed both of my offers but kept calm and went through the review system and am now going into my second year of my original firm uni :h:

aww that's amazing! :biggrin: what is the review system / how did it all happen?
aww that's amazing! :biggrin: what is the review system / how did it all happen?

Review is the new name for remark :smile: there's a load of info about it in the OP of this thread - just send off the exams you want checked. Some unis (like mine - Durham) don't reserve your place while you're getting a review of marks, so when I got my new grades back I was given deferred entry for next year and put on a waiting list for this year, however I was accepted for the year I applied through the waiting list
Hey there :h:!!! And pahlease I have every faith in you that you will do really well!! Im just 102% sure my maths grade went down the drain.

If it wasny for you I would have failed economics :redface: I owe you a million :hugs:
Have faith! Im sure you've got the grades! x

Original post by Gingerbread101

Im just dreading waiting a whole year to retake :frown:
Thanks for the reassurance :h:
Reply 9
If you retook exams next year, would you have to go through UCAS again? e.g. a new personal statement, reference etc?
Original post by h1347698
If you retook exams next year, would you have to go through UCAS again? e.g. a new personal statement, reference etc?

yep
I got a B,C,D,E at AS level and they are all the new reformed ones. Should I resit or continue to A2?
Original post by Blackhawk123
I got a B,C,D,E at AS level and they are all the new reformed ones. Should I resit or continue to A2?

Well your A levels don't count towards your A level so it's entirely up to you (or your college if they have a minimum requirements system) so if you feel you can improve move forward, if you'd rather secure your knowledge first then go for the resit.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Well your A levels don't count towards your A level so it's entirely up to you (or your college if they have a minimum requirements system) so if you feel you can improve move forward, if you'd rather secure your knowledge first then go for the resit.

I've met the minimum requirements for my sixth form but I'm not sure if unis will give me offers with these grades.
Original post by Blackhawk123
I've met the minimum requirements for my sixth form but I'm not sure if unis will give me offers with these grades.

That will be your main difficulty - your teachers need to now prove why they're giving you a predicted grade so based on your AS result you may struggle to get the predictions you want. You can always risk an Adjustment situation but that's not really something to rely on.
I got A,B,D A level. Didn't apply to uni but I'm guessing if you choose to resit you have to do them all again?
Original post by homeforumsgcse
I got A,B,D A level. Didn't apply to uni but I'm guessing if you choose to resit you have to do them all again?

What subjects are you studying? Any of the reformed ones you'll need to do all over again, that's correct!
I got a D in Edexcel linear biology which I'm obviously upset about because I worked so hard over the 2 years.
Should I get my papers remarked or should I resit them all?
Thanks
Reply 18
I got BBCC but I needed ABB for my firm. It still says conditional on UCAS. What do I do?
Reply 19
I got CCC. I wanted to study Literature but now not so sure as to what i wanna do.
Disappointed in myself cause I needed BBB in order to go Sheffield or Liverpool.
Sheffield rejected me and have to wait until 11 for Liverpool to do the same, so cant go through clearing until then.
My mum really doesn't want me to go to a non - Russell Group uni, but it looks as if clearing is my only choice. This is so stressful, although i'm letting down my mum at the end of the day i'll be happy with a Uni place, even if it's not Russell Group.

Latest