A-Level Results Day: Grade Boundaries are LIVE Watch

TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

A-Level Results Day - 17th August 2017: Grade Boundaries

This thread will contain the relevant links to the grade boundaries released by the exam boards as and when they're released. Do note that unlike previous years, the release dates for most major exam boards may have changed from the day before to the morning of results day so you won't have as much time to work out whereabouts your paper might be. Nevertheless, they're still extremely useful tools to evaluate the usefulness of a remark!

Another year of studying, another year of patience. Welcome to the end of the wait for results. I've finished my two years in college but the memories of niggling worries are still fresh so above all else, make sure you take a moment to relax and take your mind off things. You've done the hard work to secure a place at your favoured university or whatever you've planned your future towards already!

In addition to this thread, make sure to check out the fantastic countdown thread by PQ. If you have any questions regarding results day, furryface12 has a comprehensive FAQ which should answer much of the stuff you might not know. When you've achieved or done better than the grades you've wanted, make sure to display them proudly in our traditional AS and A2 Post Your Results threads by Protostar and chelseadagg3r! Finally, if things slipped up a little bit or you want to cover all your bases, shadowdweller has that sorted!

It used to be the case that you could use the grade boundaries to guesstimate the grade you got for your exams, but this year is a little different. Most exam boards that release grade boundaries publicly will be doing so on results day (either a couple of hours before or on the dot with when you can collect results) which leaves rather little time (if any!) to do so. But don't fret! If an exam counts towards the grading of your subject, your teachers will continue to have early access to them so that they can reliably inform you if remarks are worth considering.

The Grade Boundaries

AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums
Edexcel: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/grade-boundaries.html
OCR: http://www.ocr.org.uk/administration/stage-4-results/grade-boundaries/
WJEC: https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/

(Most exam boards will have both the Notional and Raw to UMS grade boundaries in the same document, but if they're kept separately you just need to click the Notional bracket next to the exam board if you're on the new linear qualifications)

Raw Mark to UMS Converters

Edexcel
AQA
OCR
WJEC

If you're not sure what the grade boundaries are all about, you can find some more information below. Otherwise, there's lots of help available on TSR so if there's any more guidance that you might need then don't hesitate to message me or the other Study Helpers with a question!

Remember, grade boundaries can help you predict your grade if you have a rough idea of what you might have got on each unit but there are other considerations to account for. If they're higher than you thought they might be, don't panic! From personal experience, results day can throw in some pleasant surprises.

Best of luck and all the best for the 17th!

FAQ

What are grade boundaries and what are they for?

Grade Boundaries indicate the minimum raw marks required to achieve a certain grade for a unit of your subject. For each subject, you get a table which looks something like this:

From here, you can see that to get a B in Edexcel Economics Unit 1 last year, you would need a minimum of 54 marks whilst an A needed 61 marks.

For subject specifications which do NOT follow the reformed A-level exams taught from or after September 2015, raw marks are also converted into UMS marks which go towards your final subject grade classification. In terms of UMS marks, the grade boundaries are usually:

<40%: U
40%: E
50%: D
60%: C
70%: B
80%: A
(An A* for a subject requires meeting an A grade overall whilst scoring an average of at least 90% in your A2 units)

Why do they change?

Exam boards try to ensure that each exam paper has the same level of difficulty from year to year, but in reality there is a little variation in how challenging a paper is for students. To compensate for this, the exam boards adjust the conversion of raw marks to UMS marks to reflect and accommodate the overall performance of students for the year.

For example if many people have found an exam easy and so the average performance of students is higher than usual, the exam board will shift the grade boundaries higher, increasing the number of marks needed to get the best grades. Conversely, if the general performance of the year is poor, the grade boundaries are lowered to balance out the difficulty.

That way, it ensures your grades aren't a matter of pot luck and will fairly reflect your performance.

Do linear qualifications have grade boundaries?

For those on the new specifications that follow a linear format, exam boards don't need to combine marks from different occasions so won't publish UMS marks. Hence, the grade boundaries for these qualifications will be different in nature to the modular qualifications.

Instead, for examinations which do not formally count towards your subject's grading, exam boards will publish "illustrative" or "notional" grade boundaries, which show the minimum mark needed if the unit was graded. These are for illustrative purposes only - they do not affect your subject grade as linear qualifications don't combine the grades of individual units.

What if I'm close to the next grade boundary?

There's little worse on results day than looking through your results and realising you're only one or two marks away from the next grade. It can particularly frustrating in your second year, where there can be a material difference to meeting your firmed university's grade requirements. :unimpressed:

If this does happen, you may want to consider getting your paper reviewed. However, this does cost money, the amount of which will vary depending on the paper and which exam board you're enrolled on, so it's important to think carefully about whether to go ahead with one. If your marks increase such that your grade changes, you'll get your money back! This doesn't always happen though so you may want to consult with your teacher when considering a review. For further information, there's an excellent article on TSR here!
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Love this thread! Really informative
Tobi-Alcarez
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Was about to moan that I hate edexcel for the time they intend to release their grade boundaries then realised it could be worse and I could be waiting for AQA's 😂 I'll know my results before they released theirs lols
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hopefully art's isnt as astronomically high as usual with it being the first linear year
can but dream :/
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why did I log back onto this site?

Goodluck everyone
mahmzo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
greghayes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Argh all my exams are AQA!! So I won't even get any hints because I'm arriving at college for 7:45... looks like my envelope will be my first clue as to whether I got in then!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
obi145
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)

A-Level Results Day - 17th August 2017: Grade Boundaries

This thread will contain the relevant links to the grade boundaries released by the exam boards as and when they're released. Do note that unlike previous years, the release dates for most major exam boards may have changed from the day before to the morning of results day so you won't have as much time to work out whereabouts your paper might be. Nevertheless, they're still extremely useful tools to evaluate the usefulness of a remark!

Another year of studying, another year of patience. Welcome to the end of the wait for results. I've finished my two years in college but the memories of niggling worries are still fresh so above all else, make sure you take a moment to relax and take your mind off things. You've done the hard work to secure a place at your favoured university or whatever you've planned your future towards already!

In addition to this thread, make sure to check out the fantastic countdown thread by PQ. If you have any questions regarding results day, furryface12 has a comprehensive FAQ which should answer much of the stuff you might not know. When you've achieved or done better than the grades you've wanted, make sure to display them proudly in our traditional AS and A2 Post Your Results threads by Protostar and chelseadagg3r! Finally, if things slipped up a little bit or you want to cover all your bases, shadowdweller has that sorted!

It used to be the case that you could use the grade boundaries to guesstimate the grade you got for your exams, but this year is a little different. Most exam boards that release grade boundaries publicly will be doing so on results day (either a couple of hours before or on the dot with when you can collect results) which leaves rather little time (if any!) to do so. But don't fret! If an exam counts towards the grading of your subject, your teachers will continue to have early access to them so that they can reliably inform you if remarks are worth considering.

The Grade Boundaries

AQA: Boundaries at 8am Thursday 17th August
Edexcel: Boundaries at 6am Thursday 17th August
OCR: Boundaries at 6am Thursday 17th August
WJEC: No information on Grade Boundary Release Date

(Most exam boards will have both the Notional and Raw to UMS grade boundaries in the same document, but if they're kept separately you just need to click the Notional bracket next to the exam board if you're on the new linear qualifications)

Raw Mark to UMS Converters

Edexcel
AQA
OCR
WJEC

If you're not sure what the grade boundaries are all about, you can find some more information below. Otherwise, there's lots of help available on TSR so if there's any more guidance that you might need then don't hesitate to message me or the other Study Helpers with a question!

Remember, grade boundaries can help you predict your grade if you have a rough idea of what you might have got on each unit but there are other considerations to account for. If they're higher than you thought they might be, don't panic! From personal experience, results day can throw in some pleasant surprises.

Best of luck and all the best for the 17th!

FAQ

What are grade boundaries and what are they for?

Grade Boundaries indicate the minimum raw marks required to achieve a certain grade for a unit of your subject. For each subject, you get a table which looks something like this:

From here, you can see that to get a B in Edexcel Economics Unit 1 last year, you would need a minimum of 54 marks whilst an A needed 61 marks.

For subject specifications which do NOT follow the reformed A-level exams taught from or after September 2015, raw marks are also converted into UMS marks which go towards your final subject grade classification. In terms of UMS marks, the grade boundaries are usually:

<40%: U
40%: E
50%: D
60%: C
70%: B
80%: A
(An A* for a subject requires meeting an A grade overall whilst scoring an average of at least 90% in your A2 units)

Why do they change?

Exam boards try to ensure that each exam paper has the same level of difficulty from year to year, but in reality there is a little variation in how challenging a paper is for students. To compensate for this, the exam boards adjust the conversion of raw marks to UMS marks to reflect and accommodate the overall performance of students for the year.

For example if many people have found an exam easy and so the average performance of students is higher than usual, the exam board will shift the grade boundaries higher, increasing the number of marks needed to get the best grades. Conversely, if the general performance of the year is poor, the grade boundaries are lowered to balance out the difficulty.

That way, it ensures your grades aren't a matter of pot luck and will fairly reflect your performance.

Do linear qualifications have grade boundaries?

For those on the new specifications that follow a linear format, exam boards don't need to combine marks from different occasions so won't publish UMS marks. Hence, the grade boundaries for these qualifications will be different in nature to the modular qualifications.

Instead, for examinations which do not formally count towards your subject's grading, exam boards will publish "illustrative" or "notional" grade boundaries, which show the minimum mark needed if the unit was graded. These are for illustrative purposes only - they do not affect your subject grade as linear qualifications don't combine the grades of individual units.

What if I'm close to the next grade boundary?

There's little worse on results day than looking through your results and realising you're only one or two marks away from the next grade. It can particularly frustrating in your second year, where there can be a material difference to meeting your firmed university's grade requirements. :unimpressed:

If this does happen, you may want to consider getting your paper reviewed. However, this does cost money, the amount of which will vary depending on the paper and which exam board you're enrolled on, so it's important to think carefully about whether to go ahead with one. If your marks increase such that your grade changes, you'll get your money back! This doesn't always happen though so you may want to consult with your teacher when considering a review. For further information, there's an excellent article on TSR here!
any leaked boundaries?
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was told that someone saw on TSR that AQA modular grade boundaries came out today and I'm distraught cause now I realise it was a lie
chelseafc141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can someone attach ocr AS grade boundaries if they have them? Specifically AS history
Gingerbread101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya guys!

Just to let you all know, along with the rest of the internet, we're aware that some grade boundaries have been leaked. Discussing this is fine, but please do not post links to pdfs or screenshots of them as this is against copyright!

Thanks
||TheUnknown||
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it just my school that's sending our results digitally? :erm:
EmsJayne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
Is it just my school that's sending our results digitally? :erm:
omg mine too but all my friends have to go in and collect theirs! I think ours go live online at like 8 and we can collect them later if we want?!
Certified0121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i swear down if someone doesnt drop an aqa link, ima get white hairs
Gingerbread101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Certified0121)
Getting the grade boundaries isn't going to change your results, try not to worry!
hoticedtea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Check twitter xo
Certified0121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hoticedtea)
Check twitter xo
If u have it drop a link to the tweet??
hoticedtea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If u have it drop a link to the tweet??
Can't posted the link to ocr earlier on this and i was told off as its copy right. Just search on twitter and read all the AQA related tweets which will show if anyone has dropped it
Certified0121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hoticedtea)
Can't posted the link to ocr earlier on this and i was told off as its copy right. Just search on twitter and read all the AQA related tweets which will show if anyone has dropped it
rah these shaytaans want us to fail
Gingerbread101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
rah these shaytaans want us to fail
Seeing the grade boundaries isn't going to change your results
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (73)
17.63%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (264)
63.77%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.77%

Watched Threads