The Student Room Group

AS Results Day FAQ and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by furryface12
They shouldn't lower your predicted grades! Your AS results are official and they're as good as they can be. See what your teachers say when you go back in september but unless one subject you were really borderline in I don't know why they would lower them- they want to help you after all. Good luck, and well done!
Reply 21
I got BBC in my AS results, would I still get conditional offers from courses with ABB (or, even more ambitious AAA) minimum requirements or should I not bother??
I received my AS results and was incredibly upset. I got ABBC and wanted AABB. All throughout the year i was a consistent grade A student, but, unfortunately the exams didn't go my way with results.

I felt like they went great, i worked so hard throughout the year (especially the sciences - i did every biology past paper out there, every single question in the textbook for biology and chemistry) and i am really upset with what i got:

A in English Lit, B in Biology, B in Psychology and C in Chemistry.

I was 1 mark off an A in Biology and a 1 mark off a B in Chemistry.

My school has said no to remarking, as it would be pointless and a waste of money. Rather, they would save the money to remark old spec papers, as all of mine are new (so linear).

My dream was to go to Cambridge and do Medicine, but, that seems to have sailed away.

I still want to go into Medicine. Is this still possible now?
Reply 23
do you have any advantage if you have done external exams instead of internal ones when applying to uni?
I mean do universities prefer to see external results?
Original post by courf
I got BBC in my AS results, would I still get conditional offers from courses with ABB (or, even more ambitious AAA) minimum requirements or should I not bother??

ABB yes, you'd have to do a good application and persuade them you can get ABB next year but yeah. I wouldn't bother with AAA ones, it's extremely unlikely unless you had extenuating circumstances explained in your reference or something. Apply for a range of unis- one or two aspirational (ABB), two with your grades or one above and one safe choice you should definitely get into. Come next year if your grades have improved a lot you can always go through adjustment or ask to be released into clearing :smile:

Original post by GCSEStudent903
I received my AS results and was incredibly upset. I got ABBC and wanted AABB. All throughout the year i was a consistent grade A student, but, unfortunately the exams didn't go my way with results.

I felt like they went great, i worked so hard throughout the year (especially the sciences - i did every biology past paper out there, every single question in the textbook for biology and chemistry) and i am really upset with what i got:

My school has said no to remarking, as it would be pointless and a waste of money. Rather, they would save the money to remark old spec papers, as all of mine are new (so linear).

My dream was to go to Cambridge and do Medicine, but, that seems to have sailed away.

Hey, sorry results day didn't work out for you. I would say your best option would be to take a gap year and apply with your A2 results next year- that would be a lot more likely and means you can focus on improving your grades this time. Get your papers back, go through them with your teachers and see what you can improve on. Then you can do something cool/useful/medicine-y in your gap year too! Good luck :smile:

Original post by Yasmangoola
do you have any advantage if you have done external exams instead of internal ones when applying to uni?
I mean do universities prefer to see external results?

Depends on the uni by Oxbridge have said they prefer them, I don't know one of any others although some really top ones might. I wouldn't say they give you an advantage though per se, just you have something official to show that your predicted grades are based on. Focus on your application and see what happens :smile:
When i recieved my results i was devestated
I got
Physics: C
Chemistry: C
Maths: C!
Psychology: C
I wasnt much shocked by my physics grade, and i had already decided that i didnt want to do chemistry at A2 before exams

Yet for psychology i was consistently predicted a high A and along with maths, only to find out that my C2 exam brought down my grade as i got an E in the paper,
I do have circumstances that def did contribute to my results, i was supposed to be assessed for extra time but things were picked up too late, i was aiming to apply for uni's asking for AAA/A*AA this year, and since i wanted to study physics most unis ask for B's and above for the subject?? Im stuck as to whether i should repeat the year or hope for the best, my AS exams were reformed linear except maths, please help?
Reply 26

Nearly everyone I know also got bad results too. We can NOT believe it, makes no sense at all. We have been getting A for computer science but we all end up with D and C.!!!
I could actually say that from our school this year there will be no going to any Russel group! We must have answers.
I was actually A genius and my friends have always had good grades.
We want our papers back. What a strange system, unlike other countries!
Original post by tomiakande
When i recieved my results i was devestated
I got
Physics: C
Chemistry: C
Maths: C!
Psychology: C
I wasnt much shocked by my physics grade, and i had already decided that i didnt want to do chemistry at A2 before exams

Yet for psychology i was consistently predicted a high A and along with maths, only to find out that my C2 exam brought down my grade as i got an E in the paper,
I do have circumstances that def did contribute to my results, i was supposed to be assessed for extra time but things were picked up too late, i was aiming to apply for uni's asking for AAA/A*AA this year, and since i wanted to study physics most unis ask for B's and above for the subject?? Im stuck as to whether i should repeat the year or hope for the best, my AS exams were reformed linear except maths, please help?

Sorry you were so upset. The one advantage of the new system (for this situation) is that at least you start with a clean slate next year, so if you understand the content I would carry on if I were you. Apply to uni this time if you want, then focus on bringing up your grades and doing as well as you can in year 13. Make sure your teachers explain your circumstances in your reference too. Come next results day you can go through adjustment/clearing/whatever if you want to. Good luck!

Original post by Marrri
Nearly everyone I know also got bad results too. We can NOT believe it, makes no sense at all. We have been getting A for computer science but we all end up with D and C.!!!
I could actually say that from our school this year there will be no going to any Russel group! We must have answers.
I was actually A genius and my friends have always had good grades.
We want our papers back. What a strange system, unlike other countries!

With any changes it's always going to happen that some schools work out how to prepare their students much faster than others unfortunately. The system was actually designed to be fairer but certainly this year it's just ended up a mess! Time will tell if it continues like this but your year has got the worst of it and universities will be aware of this. Get your papers back, talk to your teachers and do your best and hopefully next year will work out a bit better for you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 28
Sorry you were so upset. The one advantage of the new system (for this situation) is that at least you start with a clean slate next year, so if you understand the content I would carry on if I were you. Apply to uni this time if you want, then focus on bringing up your grades and doing as well as you can in year 13. Make sure your teachers explain your circumstances in your reference too. Come next results day you can go through adjustment/clearing/whatever if you want to. Good luck!

With any changes it's always going to happen that some schools work out how to prepare their students much faster than others unfortunately. The system was actually designed to be fairer but certainly this year it's just ended up a mess! Time will tell if it continues like this but your year has got the worst of it and universities will be aware of this. Get your papers back, talk to your teachers and do your best and hopefully next year will work out a bit better for you. Good luck :smile:

May not be advantage, this new system.
You may start with a clean slate, but having bad AS means you can't get into the best university, so not exactly starting fresh.
this AS, D grade has ruined everything, my last GCSE was A, and first time ever I've had D in all the years I've been studying, now this D suddenly pops up out of nowhere.
I can't see my self going to a good university even if i put down on the form that I last got an A for this subject for my GCSE, and I have now got D in Yr 12 and I have had rewards for doing well in this subject.
All these years of hard work, people were proud and I was in the gifted and talented list, helping others, makes you wonder what's the point.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Marrri
May not be advantage, this new system.
You may start with a clean slate, but having bad AS means you can't get into the best university, so not exactly starting fresh.
this AS, D grade has ruined everything, my last GCSE was A, and first time ever I've had D in all the years I've been studying, now this D suddenly pops up out of nowhere.
I can't see my self going to a good university even if i put down on the form that I last got an A in ICT for my GCSE, and I have now got D in Yr 12 and I have had rewards for doing well in this subject.
All these years of hard work, people were proud and I was in the gifted and talented list, helping others, makes you wonder what's the point.

In general it's not but here it maybe is. You can always go through adjustment or take a gap year or reapply when you have the grades- that part was the same under the old system anyway. You'll find a way :smile: there's always another option, however you do, and it sounds like you know the content so that'll make year 13 a lot easier. You'll get there!
I got C in my Physics and Maths AS levels. Can i still hope for an A overall in A2 without doing resits?? Pls help

Hiya, sorry about your results, but you were only 2 marks off your AABB!

I want to do medicine as well, so I would recommend maybe you drop one of your subjects and possibly take up a medical epq and do lots of work experience, especially a long term work experience such as volunteering at a disabled/care home. Say you don’t get any offers this year, but then at A2 results day you get the grades required, you could take a gap year and apply then, as universities won’t be making so much of a risk as you already have your grades. However, you would have to redo your BMAT/UKCAT. Otherwise you could always apply for say biomedical/biochemical degree and have a conversion course to medicine.

Also just think that your AS levels don’t count towards A2 because they’re linear.

Good luck!!
Original post by zoha_tariq
I got C in my Physics and Maths AS levels. Can i still hope for an A overall in A2 without doing resits?? Pls help

Physics is a reformed subject, therefore your results at AS will not count towards your final A-level grade. This means you can work harder next year to achieve an A.

Maths is not yet reformed, your AS grade will count towards your A2 grade. So you can have a look at your individual units, and if you did badly on particular units, you can resit them next summer. You can retake as many maths units as you want but bear in mind that you'll have to do these resits along with your A-level exams next year.
Hello!

Currently I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry, physics at AS, and an EPQ. Without bragging, I enjoy learning and got all A*s at GCSE and all As at AS. Hoping to do maths or maths with compsci at uni.

I'm considering dropping a subject - is it worth doing 4A levels at A2?

On one hand, I asked some unis and they say they only care about 3, for example Oxford maths will only ever make three grade offers. Doing an extra 33% of work would spread me thinner such that I have less time to prepare for maths entrance exams like MAT or STEP. I've quit my tiny job for Y13 but I'd quite like some semblance of a social life haha.
However, apparently doing just maths/fmaths/physics is too much overlap and won't be seen as pushing myself, so doing 4 will demonstrate the capacity to deal with a bigger workload. Some unis like Imperial and Warwick have been known to make 4 A level offers, and quite a lot of previous year students at the unis I'm aiming for have done 4+ subjects, although I suppose you can't directly compare old spec where the AS helped.

Would doing chemistry as a 4th be worth it?
Thanks
Original post by zoha_tariq

You should be able to :smile: as black rose said, physics is one of the new a levels so your AS result doesn't go towards your A2. You'll have to work hard though, to make sure you understand the stuff from both years. Maths it would be possible too, I would advise retaking either C1 or C2 though as by the time you've done A2 they'll seem easy anyway, you should be able to do much better in them with barely any work at all.

Original post by Sproutbean
Hello!

Currently I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry, physics at AS, and an EPQ. Without bragging, I enjoy learning and got all A*s at GCSE and all As at AS. Hoping to do maths or maths with compsci at uni.

I'm considering dropping a subject - is it worth doing 4A levels at A2?

On one hand, I asked some unis and they say they only care about 3, for example Oxford maths will only ever make three grade offers. Doing an extra 33% of work would spread me thinner such that I have less time to prepare for maths entrance exams like MAT or STEP. I've quit my tiny job for Y13 but I'd quite like some semblance of a social life haha.
However, apparently doing just maths/fmaths/physics is too much overlap and won't be seen as pushing myself, so doing 4 will demonstrate the capacity to deal with a bigger workload. Some unis like Imperial and Warwick have been known to make 4 A level offers, and quite a lot of previous year students at the unis I'm aiming for have done 4+ subjects, although I suppose you can't directly compare old spec where the AS helped.

Would doing chemistry as a 4th be worth it?
Thanks

Well done on your results! That's a massive achievement.

It's a really difficult decision, you've pretty much got all the pros and cons there too. If you continue them all and do well it'll look great, there is really the danger of spreading yourself too thin though as you say. Oxford will likely take into account your fourth A level even if they don't use it in your offer directly, especially if you missed your grades on results day, A*AA would always be better than AAAB though for example. I would say talk to your teachers and family and see what they think, and then go on your instincts really. The other option is to carry on with them all for now, but any sign of struggling with the workload or content at all then drop chemistry. Better a couple of months of wasted work than carrying on for the sake of it and doing worse.

Sorry, that doesn't really help much! Many people do manage four A levels and do well, it puts a lot of pressure on you though both through the year and particularly in exam season next summer. Your current A in chemistry and physics won't count for anything then and you're starting from scratch, and with 12 exams that's going to be hard work. Not impossible by any stretch, but needs a lot of organisation even before you start looking at the work! Good luck whatever you decide :smile:
Hey guys so AS results day didn't go as planned. Maths B - 5 UMS from an A Economics - A Spanish - A this was a complete shocker Biology - B I am thinking of applying to Warwick Nottingham Bristol Exeter (all A*AA) but they all want an A in A2 maths. I know I am capable as all throughout the year I have got high eighties in maths. so this B is not a normal thing. But universities will not know that. especially as the unis i am applying to are highly mathematical and thus they have a few of the futher maths applicants. Should I look at other unis. I am also going to drop Spanish and continue with Biology despite the A and B respectively. Will dropping a language and continuing with the lower grade disadvantage me in any way thank you xx
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Hey guys so AS results day didn't go as planned. Maths B - 5 UMS from an A Economics - A Spanish - A this was a complete shocker Biology - B I am thinking of applying to Warwick Nottingham Bristol Exeter (all A*AA) but they all want an A in A2 maths. I know I am capable as all throughout the year I have got high eighties in maths. so this B is not a normal thing. But universities will not know that. especially as the unis i am applying to are highly mathematical and thus they have a few of the futher maths applicants. Should I look at other unis. I am also going to drop Spanish and continue with Biology despite the A and B respectively. Will dropping a language and continuing with the lower grade disadvantage me in any way thank you xx

They're still amazing grades! Get your teachers to mention how close you were to an A in maths and predict you it, that should be fine :smile: I was in the same situation and they all gave me an offer, does depend what course you're applying for though probably. For dropping Spanish, not at all- continue with what you like, it's not a lot lower and as biology is linear your result won't count for next year anyway. You might need to work a little bit harder if you want an A overall but yeah! I'd say apply to unis with more of a range of grades but other than that go for it. Well done, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 1A, 2B's and 1D at AS. I was 2 marks off an A, and 2 off a C. Anyone know if I could get 2A*s or 3 If I resist the lower B and a B for biology (D at AS)?
Original post by Jodie2199
I got 1A, 2B's and 1D at AS. I was 2 marks off an A, and 2 off a C. Anyone know if I could get 2A*s or 3 If I resist the lower B and a B for biology (D at AS)?

Yep you could. It'd be hard work though, and you need to bare in mind how many exams you'll be sitting next year. I'd drop one of your subjects personally too- you're far better having three better ones at A2 than four worse ones because you've over stretched yourself. Talk to your teachers and work hard and see how you do, try and be realistic though. Aiming high is great but not if you're just going to feel horrible if you're disappointed!
They're still amazing grades! Get your teachers to mention how close you were to an A in maths and predict you it, that should be fine :smile: I was in the same situation and they all gave me an offer, does depend what course you're applying for though probably. For dropping Spanish, not at all- continue with what you like, it's not a lot lower and as biology is linear your result won't count for next year anyway. You might need to work a little bit harder if you want an A overall but yeah! I'd say apply to unis with more of a range of grades but other than that go for it. Well done, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and Thank you for helping me calm down. It's for economics !! What did you apply for and what other subjects ??

Quick Reply

Latest