Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxbridge misses out on top spots in new uni ranking Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The uni of Buckingham shared the top spot in a new uni ranking, with Royal Veterinary College and University of St Andrews. The survery looked at student satisfaction.

12 major unis, including Oxbridge, Manchester and UCL, boycotted the survey over its link to increased tuition fees, and several Russel Group unis also fell down the rankings, as little as 2/3 of students nationwide completed the survey.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Does it surprise you? Where did your uni rank?

ReputationRep:
    That is possibly the most hilarious ranking I've ever seen.

More precisely, student satisfaction is meaningless and it pretty much wrecks every ranking which uses it. Students at LSE and Warwick with straight A* grades and aspirations to go into banking or research or medicine have higher expectations than someone who scraped it into Ravensbourne to do drama through clearing.

Sometimes student satisfaction tells a story at a few places like LSE where (anecdotally) students are famously underwhelmed by the quality of teaching, but this is only useful on a case-by-case analysis - quantitatively it only makes the other factors used less discriminating and the ranking less accurate overall.

ReputationRep:
    Very hard.

ReputationRep:
    It's even done a poor job of spreading the unis out, there's 152 institutions between 71 and 94 marks resulting in huge ties.

10 institutions share 11th place

ReputationRep:
    Student satisfaction is a load of rubbish.

Of course the dud universities will come out on top because they have a much lower workload, allowing more time for student activities such as drinking, partying, smoking, and pre-marital sexual intercourse.

The vast majority of students do not care about their work and only go to university to "have a good time".

ReputationRep:
    Probably a bad ranking system then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)

Of course the dud universities will come out on top because they have a much lower workload, allowing more time for student activities such as drinking, partying, smoking, and pre-marital sexual intercourse.

The vast majority of students do not care about their work and only go to university to "have a good time".
    Where do you study and what course out of curiosity

ReputationRep:

I can assure you that PLENTY of drinking, partying, smoking and pre-marital sex occurs at Oxbridge. Moreover, I know plenty of people who participated in such activities and still graduated with top degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a very interesting study. Obviously, it does nothing to upend the rankings of Oxford or Cambridge, and how far a degree from those fine institutions can carry a person in life. Those type of institutions do not have a monopoly on networking, alumni reach or an absolute lock on employers over all other programs. But the competitive advantage and reach of the network and alumni of Oxbridge is unquestionably very, very strong. In large measure, once you are accepted into those universities, especially in the most competitive programs they host, how you do there or your marks there will never be as important as such questions may be for smaller institutions. However, I'm unclear why any student would want to go to an institution where they do not feel the quality of the instruction and support is an important factor in their educational and personal growth experience. So I think the survey, for what it purports to measure, is a worthwhile one to view, and give whatever weight to it, that the reader desires.

People spend their entire lives looking for prestige and for wealth, some covet such things and automatically place themselves over people who went to programs and institutions that are not as elite-this is just the world we live in. So, if the goal of a person, in terms of education, is only getting a job, I can understand disregarding the survey. (as opposed to some of the most successful people in business, law, medicine, and other areas, who had the mentality not of being a worker bee to be used and ground up, for the benefit of the "Hive" over time-without ever truly making -unless they were the in the privileged elite, what they were worth, as opposed to those whose vision was the building of their own "hive" and became the innovators....some of the most successful people on this earth never even finished the university system, some did, but I am sure the founders of Apple, Facebook, I'm sure Bill Gates, has hired and paid the salaries (as they are the owners and creators of their own companies) of many an Oxbridge, Harvard, Yale and Standford graduate, as well as fired those as well.)

Now, if the goal is to build the best possible educational and life experience a person can have, surely the survey is worth viewing and considering in terms of knowing that the students who go there, even when they graduate and face off against the competitive advantage of Oxbridge, are satisfied with their teaching quality. Does not change the world rankings, nor does the study purport to do that-it just is survey of satisfaction, to be given as much or as little weight as the bias of the reader will allow. I do find it interesting that the TEF ratings of LSE reflected a need for improvement as well, in the teaching quality, and several other important institutions were effected. Does not mean TEF is valid, or invalid, but at least it can put forth the question of making constant improvements and evaluation in teaching standards and student satisfaction.

(I find it humorous and yet sad, reading some of the posts demeaning the other universities outside of Oxbridge as being lazy students who do nothing-see this is that elitist mentality-these people never attended the schools they are degrading, which gives us some insight into their mindsets, from the outset)

(Original post by Danny Dorito)
    The uni of Buckingham shared the top spot in a new uni ranking, with Royal Veterinary College and University of St Andrews. The survery looked at student satisfaction.

12 major unis, including Oxbridge, Manchester and UCL, boycotted the survey over its link to increased tuition fees, and several Russel Group unis also fell down the rankings, as little as 2/3 of students nationwide completed the survey.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Does it surprise you? Where did your uni rank?

ReputationRep:
    What!? Bath isn't top 10? screw this I'm going back to the Guardian's.

ReputationRep:

To point out the RVC is far from a 'dud' university with veterinary medicine having a far higher workload than pretty much all university courses. The competition to get a place there means the vast majority of students take their work very seriously. But don't let facts tarnish your broad statement

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh. It's that time of year when the NSS comes out. Everyone in the education media pretends that it's important, for about five minutes. :cookie: And that it's true that Salford now ranks above Cambridge, Peterborough (does that college exist?) above UCL and that Bristol is now 82 places below UWE. Then, after a short hiatus, normal service is resumed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    What!? Bath isn't top 10? screw this I'm going back to the Guardian's.
    Bath isn't even in the top 10 in Bath.

Spoiler:
    Show
    For a small fee, I am willing to make similar short offensive and unsupported remarks about other universities as a result of the latest highly scientific National Student Survey, the nation's most infallible and objective source of information on university matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Bath isn't even in the top 10 in Bath.

Spoiler:
    Show

For a small fee, I am willing to make similar short offensive and unsupported remarks about other universities as a result of the latest highly scientific National Student Survey, the nation's most infallible and objective source of information on university matters.
    That hurt me deep.

Probably a reverse list of the best Unis - the smart people know to give their unis **** reviews to stop their tuition fees from going up.

ReputationRep:
    im glad that not many people are filling this in because this ranking business just encourages unis to raise their tuition fees accordingly meaning that the poorest feel as if they are inaccessible to them and then do not apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Probably a reverse list of the best Unis - the smart people know to give their unis **** reviews to stop their tuition fees from going up.
    Smart universities game the survey - they broadcast PR about it, bribe students to give positive reviews, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Damn I wish I'd studied at the University of Buckingh... wait.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Smart universities game the survey - they broadcast PR about it, bribe students to give positive reviews, etc.
    Smart students wouldn't fall for it.

The greatness of a Uni corresponds closer to the intellect of its students than to the cunning of its PR department.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster university and Loughborough university - the most consistently top ranked universities across all uni UK tables, well in boys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.