The Student Room Group

Cambridge student calls out issues of race and inclusivity around Oxbridge

Courtney Boateng, a third year Cambridge student, went viral after tweeting about her frustration around being told she only got into the uni because of the "diversity quota".

Despite averaging 92 in AS, smashing the interview and ultimately get A*AA, she has been bombarded with comments on her YouTube channel but other students saying that "people like her" are taking "[there] place".

She explains "A lot of people tried to patronise me, despite the fact that I put my grades in the thread. They were saying that it's because of affirmative action which isn't even a thing in the UK. People even said stuff like 'why do you dumb yourself down by speaking slang?' "

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Do you think ideas around the stereotypical Oxbridge needs to change? Do some students feel more entitled to go to particular unis, while others discouraged? What are your experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ah yes, I know her and watched quite a lot of her videos on YouTube regarding how to apply to Oxbridge, YouTube comments are always full of stupidity, racism and trolling and YouTube really doesn't give a **** about it so I wouldn't be surprised if someone left a racist comment on her channel.
Tho I do agree that as a Cambridge student you shouldn't be speaking in a lot of slang, it ruins Cambridge's prestigious name.
Reply 2
Bloody SJW, if her feelings get hurt so easily she shouldn't be at a top uni 😒😒
Reply 3
Original post by Danny Dorito
Courtney Boateng, a third year Cambridge student, went viral after tweeting about her frustration around being told she only got into the uni because of the "diversity quota".

Despite averaging 92 in AS, smashing the interview and ultimately get A*AA, she has been bombarded with comments on her YouTube channel but other students saying that "people like her" are taking "[there] place".

She explains "A lot of people tried to patronise me, despite the fact that I put my grades in the thread. They were saying that it's because of affirmative action which isn't even a thing in the UK. People even said stuff like 'why do you dumb yourself down by speaking slang?' "

What do you make of this? Do you think ideas around the stereotypical Oxbridge needs to change? Do some students feel more entitled to go to particular unis, while others discouraged? What are your experiences?

These are trolls, either in real life, or on social media, saying this stuff to her. Plain and simple

It's hateful, but it's not "Cambridge", and certainly not the view of the majority of Cambridge students.
Original post by JohnGreek
This story is ancient.

It's a week old?
Or do you mean it's the same story being faced by different ethnic minorities in oxbridge repeated over time
Original post by deity27
Bloody SJW, if her feelings get hurt so easily she shouldn't be at a top uni 😒😒

You mad you didn't get into oxbridge?
As usual your subject headline is nonsense.

These aren't issues of race and inclusivity, these are issues of social media stupidity. If you don't like getting idiots responding to your tweets with idiocy then don't use Twitter.
I can't even pinpoint the micro aggressions I experience

:toofunny:

Stopped reading.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
As usual your subject headline is nonsense.

These aren't issues of race and inclusivity, these are issues of social media stupidity. If you don't like getting idiots responding to your tweets with idiocy then don't use Twitter.

I think she gets it in real life too. Trolls are everywhere...

But yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sadly there are some hugely insecure people out there who will do anything to pinpoint blame at others - whether it be minority group students or Oxford/Cambridge unis - rather than accept that they were either simply unlucky (there's always an element of luck in Oxbridge applications), or simply weren't deemed good enough to be offered a place. Then there's also a small handful of people who are so privileged and have rarely interacted with other demographic groups, that they are just hugely insulting and foot-in-mouth even though they are not necessarily meaning to be racist or prejudiced.

Having been through similar to the OP though on a much lesser scale, I do hear what she's saying and feel for her :sadnod:
Reply 10
Original post by Danny Dorito

Racism should be called out in whatever form. Yes the stereotypical image of Oxbridge needs to change. In fairness I "think" both unis ( and other RG unis) work hard on this with outreach, TSR etc. It's about convincing all students to apply. The lack of diversity at these universities is largely because of a lack of applications. The more we talk about this, either through media, YouTube (whatever) the more these stereotypes will be broken down.

The lack of diversity at top unis is depressing. Do some students feel entitled? Probably the thought of applying to these universities is more natural for some because of their background. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

Are some students discouraged? No, I think it is because they are not encouraged, there is a difference. Let's get the message out there that Oxbridgee and other top unis are open to ALL students, background does not matter. If you are good enough, you will get in.

And when you get there, trust me most (not all because you do get some idiots 😜) will not care about your background. You will be there on merit.
Yeah this is definitely a broader social issue but it's not a problem with the uni or their admissions criteria which thankfully seems pretty meritocratic.
Reply 12
That's still ancient for the news style. Most content is consumed in the space of hours, not weeks. The least the mods can do is keep up.

Indeed the article is a week old. But the mod is not asking us to comment on the article itself. It is being used as a platform to open up a wider discussion.

Are there stereotypes that need to be broken down?
Do some students feel entitled?
Are some discouraged?
Relate personal experiences.

A debate that has raged on for quite some time now.😀
I know someone from Northern Ireland who went to Oxford in the 90s. A tutor made fun of her accent and she felt out of place. Things have hopefully moved on a bit since then.
That's still ancient for the news style. Most content is consumed in the space of hours, not weeks. The least the mods can do is keep up.

Are you being serious?
Original post by Doonesbury
These are trolls, either in real life, or on social media, saying this stuff to her. Plain and simple

It's hateful, but it's not "Cambridge", and certainly not the view of the majority of Cambridge students.

Yes I incompletely agree, I don't think it's Cambridge as an institute, I think it's a societal issue.
Trolling comments, maybe, but her feelings are not uncommon. Being BME and of a lower social class had quite a big impact on my wellbeing in my first year there - nearly everywhere I'd look I'd be made to feel that Cambridge isn't for people like me.

There's a wider class issue too as all my working class friends say they felt exactly the same, regardless of their race. It's just a double blow when you're BME and lower class really.

I suppose you just have to learn to accept it, fight against that mentality and remember that you were admitted on merit.
Original post by 210555
Racism should be called out in whatever form. Yes the stereotypical image of Oxbridge needs to change. In fairness I "think" both unis ( and other RG unis) work hard on this with outreach, TSR etc. It's about convincing all students to apply. The lack of diversity at these universities is largely because of a lack of applications. The more we talk about this, either through media, YouTube (whatever) the more these stereotypes will be broken down.

The lack of diversity at top unis is depressing. Do some students feel entitled? Probably the thought of applying to these universities is more natural for some because of their background. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

Are some students discouraged? No, I think it is because they are not encouraged, there is a difference. Let's get the message out there that Oxbridgee and other top unis are open to ALL students, background does not matter. If you are good enough, you will get in.

And when you get there, trust me most (not all because you do get some idiots 😜) will not care about your background. You will be there on merit.

In my view, meritocracy ought to come before all else. Fortunately, we don't really employ affirmative action like in the United States, which is remarkably unfair and creates a legitimate air for the 'You got in because you're X' arguments. Personally, I don't care whether every student is black or white, male or female, or, more likely, a grand mixture. I think universities ought not to consider anything but merit.
Reply 18
Original post by xBasedChris
In my view, meritocracy ought to come before all else. Fortunately, we don't really employ affirmative action like in the United States, which is remarkably unfair and creates a legitimate air for the 'You got in because you're X' arguments. Personally, I don't care whether every student is black or white, male or female, or, more likely, a grand mixture. I think universities ought not to consider anything but merit.

They can, and do, consider the context of the merit. And that's a better way of doing it.

So a very good candidate from a disadvantaged environment will likely be given the nod over a very good candidate from a privileged environment.

The bigger challenge, is to get more BMEs (especially Bs) to apply in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
They can, and do, consider the context of the merit. And that's a better way of doing it.

So a very good candidate from a disadvantaged environment will likely be given the nod over a very good candidate from a privileged environment.

The bigger challenge, is to get more BMEs (especially Bs) to apply in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. The correct option is not to artificially inflate the representation of BMEs, but to work on community outreach that they might feel comfortable applying in greater numbers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending