Where can i open an account with a CIFAS marker? Watch

This discussion is closed.
username3482464
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
its been a year since ive had a CIFA's marker, i just found out and im going to UNI in a month. i dont know where to open a bank account!
high street banks are declining me.
i need this account for student finance! please help! im running out of time. i need an account anywhere.
i also cannot use my parents account for student finance, must be my own.

help!!!
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should be able to open a basic bank account with only a cash card and no overdraft facility - what was the CIFAS marker for?
username3482464
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
You should be able to open a basic bank account with only a cash card and no overdraft facility - what was the CIFAS marker for?
It was for fraud on my account, do u know anywhere I can open an account?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarah1003)
It was for fraud on my account, do u know anywhere I can open an account?
Could you be a little more specific? Markers are put into one of several categories, of which some are much more serious that others. It'd be helpful to know which category it's in to advise further.
Shah_I9
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're unsuccessful in opening a bank account, I strongly suggest you enroll in the open university, it's much more viable alternative. It's part time study for £2,000 so you can work at the same time
a.little.bird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could try getting a Basic account. They are for people who aren't eligible for other bank accounts (although some banks

I recently opened a basic account with Santander*other banks and basic accounts are available! because I desired an account with no overdraft facility (due to personal reasons/want to live within my means). The application can be done online and I received all my account information within a week, plus my two bank cards for the account (one for spending, one for setting up direct debits and managing your account at cash machines in your local Santander branch); also, you can control how much is on your 'spending' card - i.e. it doesn't have to be the full amount in your account; e.g. I have £500+ available to me, but I only have about £230 on my spending card and don't carry my non-spending card if I go out.

More info: http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/curren...urrent-account
Otherside22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why is CIFAS on there? If it's because you've been a victim of fraud, then that's not going to stop you opening an account. It simply serves as a message telling any banks/creditors that you've previously been a victim of fraud, and to check that this application is not fraudulent.

If it's there for the other reason...well, that will cause you problems.

You can try and basic account. Won't have an overdraft, may or may not come with a debit card. Take a look here.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...-bank-accounts But whilst they may not credit check you, they'll search CIFAS. And you may well be denied.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Otherside22)
Why is CIFAS on there? If it's because you've been a victim of fraud, then that's not going to stop you opening an account. It simply serves as a message telling any banks/creditors that you've previously been a victim of fraud, and to check that this application is not fraudulent.

If it's there for the other reason...well, that will cause you problems.

You can try and basic account. Won't have an overdraft, may or may not come with a debit card. Take a look here.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...-bank-accounts But whilst they may not credit check you, they'll search CIFAS. And you may well be denied.
There's sooooo many categories of CIFAS marker, and victim of fraud is the least common.
Bennykerim97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
its been a year since ive had a CIFA's marker, i just found out and im going to UNI in a month. i dont know where to open a bank account!
i need this account for student finance! please help! im running out of time. i need an account anywhere.

help!!!
hi Sarah, im in the exact same position as you. did you find a solution?
Bennykerim97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Sarah did you manage to solves this issue as I'm in a similar situation as you at the moment
Olu234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bennykerim97)
Hi Sarah did you manage to solves this issue as I'm in a similar situation as you at the moment
Did you manage to find a solution?
Blacky123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did u sort it?
Blacky123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did u sort it I'm in the same situation

help!!!

help!!!
username3482464
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bennykerim97)
hi Sarah, im in the exact same position as you. did you find a solution?
i have not found a solution yet, but i have been recommended to open an account on an online company, for example credecard plus, or unbank or cashplus or eccount money.
take a look at these, it's your only chance.
username3482464
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blacky123)
Did u sort it I'm in the same situation
i have not found a solution yet, but i have been recommended to open an account on an online company, for example credecard plus, or unbank or cashplus or eccount money.
username3482464
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olu234)
Did you manage to find a solution?
these will work hopefully!
subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by username3482464)

help!!!
Can you explain what you did to get that marker? Depending on how serious it is banks may refuse to open an account with you, even for a basic bank account. Even for online bank accounts they are still required to perform checks so you they may not be a solution.
AtheClassicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you considered changing your name because CIFAS markers will stay with you for a number of years. I was in the same position as you, so I changed my name and now my banking is back on track.
Bennykerim97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
which cifas marker was this? And did you change your surname and address too?
Mahadsss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you change your full name? surname and first name or one of them. I was thinking to add a middle name as I do not have a middle name on record. They can still link you to your original name using address and DOB though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.31%
1 (39)
16.39%
2 (40)
16.81%
3 (32)
13.45%
4 (16)
6.72%
5 (20)
8.4%