Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i know it has endlessly disscused, but it is SO obviuos ron likes hermoine. Thats why he is so angrey about vicky, and ginny goin out with michael, and cho liking harry, no one likes ron!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Every single one from the very first page *nods*

Yup, me too. I got on when we were only up to page 20 something (I think) and read them all before I posted. Then posted as unregistered for quite a while before registering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    LMAO!! hahah u r my hero

Yeah, every now and then someone has to put "book nazis" in their place.

ReputationRep:
    What i don't get is why u haven't been banned from this site

YEAH!!! Get some SF!!!

ReputationRep:
    Another question - in the film of CoS when they're in the bookshop Malfoy rips a page out of a book and stuffs it his robes - why? I know this topic is generally about the books but does anyone know why this might be.

BTW I've been here since about page 60 - I went back to the start but have only done about the forst 30 pages, so there's a big gap ive missed.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let me clarify the snape/lily connection here as I would understand it.

1. Mr. Evans meets Snape's Mom. Mr Evans is a Squib. Snape's mom is a Witch. They turn on a little Barry White and some bubbly one night, and Perseus Evans is born.

2. Mr. Evans is already married to or runs off with Lilly's mom (a muggle) and plays himself off as a muggle and has two daughters with her (exlplains how happy lilly's parents were with her being accepted to Hogwarts).

3. Perseus hates his dad because he's never around and mom and dad fight whenever he makes secret visits. So, early on, Perseus hates all muggles because they are the reason why he doesn't have a "normal" wizarding family. I doubt lilly knows about him, but he probably knows about lilly.

4. Anyhow, to distance himself from his "muggle" ties, he changes his name to Severus Snape (maybe snape is his mom's maiden name, so it's not that strange for him to use it). Because dad was a squib and mom a witch, he's a pureblood. Conversely, because lilly's dad's a squib (who plays himself off as a muggle) and mom's a muggle, she's a "mudblood".

5. My guess would be that Snape although he hated muggles (because his father left his mom for a muggle) probably joined the deatheaters for that reason. However, he caught wind that Voldie was going after his half-sister and her family, this is probably when he realized the error of his ways and turned spy for Dumbledore and the Order.

6. So, why did Dumbledore say that Harry's only living relatives were the Dursleys? Well, Petunia is the only Full Blood relative of Lilly alive. Perseus/Severus is only her half brother. The protection is probably strongest with Petunia.

7. Last point of possible proof that this is true. Remember how JKR said that a minor part of book two would offer clues to something significant in book six? Well, how about Tom Riddle and the anagram deal? That's minor, and perhaps (she may not even say that that's how he chose his name) but the anagram for Severus Snape being Perseus Evans could be it.

Lastly, I want to express that I'm pretty sure that he was already known as Severus by Hogwarts. My guess is that he was born evans but was changed very early on. I base this on his "nicknames" being plays on Severus. Snivellus, Snivelly, they are meant as a play on the name Severus.

Ok I'm done. Have at it!

ReputationRep:
    WOW! 101 pages!!! We're pretty cool!

ReputationRep:
    I just...well.. dont buy it- Snape is an Evans? Wouldn't James have been SIGNIFICANTLY nicer to him? And how would he and Lily be in the same class? Thats pretty quick turnaround- my uncle and my father are 11 months apart and they weren't even in the same class- I just dont see it- I agree more with the Lexicon's whole Roman ideas about Severus and Albinius-

Glad to see some older members coming back onboard!

I think most people definately agree on the Ron/Hermione love plot, but we'll just have to wait and see-

ReputationRep:
    Malfoys page out of the book- I'll have to double check the text to see if its there too, but I doubt it is insignificant- if he was just being a brat he would have torn up the whole book- maybe its a spell on how to make your hair into a greasy slick back.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Malfoys page out of the book- I'll have to double check the text to see if its there too, but I doubt it is insignificant- if he was just being a brat he would have torn up the whole book- maybe its a spell on how to make your hair into a greasy slick back.....
    I'm sure its not in the book just the film. There is also another scene like this where Malfoy finds a little present is the Slitherin common room when Ron and Harry are in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Ok, let me clarify the snape/lily connection here as I would understand it.

1. Mr. Evans meets Snape's Mom. Mr Evans is a Squib. Snape's mom is a Witch. They turn on a little Barry White and some bubbly one night, and Perseus Evans is born.

2. Mr. Evans is already married to or runs off with Lilly's mom (a muggle) and plays himself off as a muggle and has two daughters with her (exlplains how happy lilly's parents were with her being accepted to Hogwarts).

3. Perseus hates his dad because he's never around and mom and dad fight whenever he makes secret visits. So, early on, Perseus hates all muggles because they are the reason why he doesn't have a "normal" wizarding family. I doubt lilly knows about him, but he probably knows about lilly.

4. Anyhow, to distance himself from his "muggle" ties, he changes his name to Severus Snape (maybe snape is his mom's maiden name, so it's not that strange for him to use it). Because dad was a squib and mom a witch, he's a pureblood. Conversely, because lilly's dad's a squib (who plays himself off as a muggle) and mom's a muggle, she's a "mudblood".

5. My guess would be that Snape although he hated muggles (because his father left his mom for a muggle) probably joined the deatheaters for that reason. However, he caught wind that Voldie was going after his half-sister and her family, this is probably when he realized the error of his ways and turned spy for Dumbledore and the Order.

6. So, why did Dumbledore say that Harry's only living relatives were the Dursleys? Well, Petunia is the only Full Blood relative of Lilly alive. Perseus/Severus is only her half brother. The protection is probably strongest with Petunia.

7. Last point of possible proof that this is true. Remember how JKR said that a minor part of book two would offer clues to something significant in book six? Well, how about Tom Riddle and the anagram deal? That's minor, and perhaps (she may not even say that that's how he chose his name) but the anagram for Severus Snape being Perseus Evans could be it.

Lastly, I want to express that I'm pretty sure that he was already known as Severus by Hogwarts. My guess is that he was born evans but was changed very early on. I base this on his "nicknames" being plays on Severus. Snivellus, Snivelly, they are meant as a play on the name Severus.

Ok I'm done. Have at it!
    WOW!!! makes a ton of sense to me. I totally agree! Wait, thats why james hates snape!! the fact he excists, meaning he hates it that snape is related to her and how he is so mean to her, but she defends him. I think when james " it's more the fact that he excities, if you know what i mean" is the key!Like even if u hated a sibling, it would hard to just stand and watch while they are embarrased, and snape was mad becuase 1 he was embarrased about being saved by a girl 2 they were related and he hated her so he didn't want her help!!

ReputationRep:
    YEAH!!! Get some SF!!!

ReputationRep:
    WOW!!! makes a ton of sense to me. I totally agree! Wait, thats why james hates snape!! the fact he excists, meaning he hates it that snape is related to her and how he is so mean to her, but she defends him. I think when james " it's more the fact that he excities, if you know what i mean" is the key!Like even if u hated a sibling, it would hard to just stand and watch while they are embarrased, and snape was mad becuase 1 he was embarrased about being saved by a girl 2 they were related and he hated her so he didn't want her help!!
    jk really should come to this site and get some ideas

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I haven't been online since last night, and came back to see that I had about 4 or 5 pages to catch up on. Well done guys for moving the thread up to past 100 pages; keep it up. Well done to Egan1 for making it past 1000 posts. I reckon that many of those posts are probably on this thread, as you were one of the people who stuck to this thread when few people were posting. A huge welcome to all of the lovely old posters who are posting lots again, and goodbye to anyone who has come onto this thread to slate it. The thread has brought together loads of people from different parts of the world.
    I forgot about the fact that the patronus is produced by happy memories, and it would make sense to have a similar one for love, but would J K Rowling use a similar idea again?
    I did like the idea about Voldie being Snape's father, but was put off it when it was posted that if so, Sanpe would be the heir of slytherin. Still wish we would find out why Snape is still a spy, when it seemed that Voldie had figured his role out. I think that he would still be the heir of slytherin even if Voldie married a muggle-born (unlikely to happen as he hated them). I mean you won't not be an heir to the throne if your dad, the king had married a working lady or something. Also, I doubt that Voldie would have enough if any love to be able to marry someone.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Xenon, how goeth university life? Well I hope.
    I'd agree, I've probably written about 150+ posts on here.

---

There was a couple of nit picking points I'd wondered about bringing up, however I seem to have mislaid those thoughts somewhere within the depths of my mind, and will have to see if I can recover them later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I just...well.. dont buy it- Snape is an Evans? Wouldn't James have been SIGNIFICANTLY nicer to him? And how would he and Lily be in the same class? Thats pretty quick turnaround- my uncle and my father are 11 months apart and they weren't even in the same class- I just dont see it- I agree more with the Lexicon's whole Roman ideas about Severus and Albinius-

Glad to see some older members coming back onboard!

I think most people definately agree on the Ron/Hermione love plot, but we'll just have to wait and see-
    Ok, however, what if snape's dad was married to snapes mom and got her pregnant. Then, in the mean time, went out, got a girlfriend, got her pregnant, had lilly, left snape's mom and married the muggle. As for James being nicer, not if he didn't know. What if lilly didn't know, or was keeping it secret for some reason?

ReputationRep:
    SF-

That's a good theory, that would also explain why James actually saved snape from getting killed by lupin/wolf. He did it because he knew that Lilly would never forgive him if he was responsible for her brother's death (in any manner).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Voldy being Snape's dad would make Snape the heir of Slitherin - so wouldn't he be able to stop what happened in CoS.
    If ever, maybe Snape doesn't acquire the title "heir" yet since Voldemort is still alive.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, me too. I got on when we were only up to page 20 something (I think) and read them all before I posted. Then posted as unregistered for quite a while before registering.
    I was posting starting page 60+, I think. But I didn't read all the post before that. Imagine... I'd be reading a hundred or so posts!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    jk really should come to this site and get some ideas
    Haha, good one yeah. Maybe she can make us happy and put one of our theories in book 6 or 7. Then she's gonna acknowledge us!!! Happy happy, joy joy. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful? hehe

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.