Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I just...well.. dont buy it- Snape is an Evans? Wouldn't James have been SIGNIFICANTLY nicer to him? And how would he and Lily be in the same class? Thats pretty quick turnaround- my uncle and my father are 11 months apart and they weren't even in the same class- I just dont see it- I agree more with the Lexicon's whole Roman ideas about Severus and Albinius-

Glad to see some older members coming back onboard!

I think most people definately agree on the Ron/Hermione love plot, but we'll just have to wait and see-
    what exactly is the lexicon theory? my comp wouldnt open the page.... Its possible, but I doubt it, maybe as distant relations? the theory is quite ingenious, but I dont think its possible! of course Harry has to have a living relative, James was a pureblood was he not? and didnt sirius say that all purebloods were interrelated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    WOW!!! makes a ton of sense to me. I totally agree! Wait, thats why james hates snape!! the fact he excists, meaning he hates it that snape is related to her and how he is so mean to her, but she defends him. I think when james " it's more the fact that he excities, if you know what i mean" is the key!Like even if u hated a sibling, it would hard to just stand and watch while they are embarrased, and snape was mad becuase 1 he was embarrased about being saved by a girl 2 they were related and he hated her so he didn't want her help!!
    anyway, this one's good, but we don't know if James or Lily even knows about Lily and Snape's real relationship... eek. that doesn't sound too good

sorry for making separate posts instead of one long one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Haha, good one yeah. Maybe she can make us happy and put one of our theories in book 6 or 7. Then she's gonna acknowledge us!!! Happy happy, joy joy. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful? hehe
    yes that would be awesome, steller, tizight, cool, tight, and lets see, hella AWESOME!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    SF-

That's a good theory, that would also explain why James actually saved snape from getting killed by lupin/wolf. He did it because he knew that Lilly would never forgive him if he was responsible for her brother's death (in any manner).
    Thanx peter

Hey, what about volde and belaatrix getting married, and ahving a kid, so if/when harry kills volde, his son can continue the fight? Just and idea

ReputationRep:
    Thanx peter

Hey, what about volde and belaatrix getting married, and ahving a kid, so if/when harry kills volde, his son can continue the fight? Just and idea
    ok that just sounds really really stupid, sry, but it sounds really unreal!

ReputationRep:
    Thanx peter

And when he does have a son, then what? More HP Books!!! Harry Potter and Voldemort's Son. Haha. But yeah, sounds kind of out of this world... hold on... HP is out of this world! Heehee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    ok that just sounds really really stupid, sry, but it sounds really unreal!
    hey i was just joking

ReputationRep:
    hey i was just joking
    aww... I'm sure curryADD didn't mean that and probably knew that you were joking

ReputationRep:
    ...while Ms. Rowling has often parried interview questions with "What makes you so sure Harry will LIVE?", she has also said (at least once) that she might write an 8th book, which wold be a "key" to various cues, names, etc. in the series; and at least twice she has said something along the lines of, "...but who knows-in another ten or fifteen years I might suddenly be seized with a burning desire to write another Harry Potter book."

So, my guess is that Harry does not die.

ReputationRep:
    I can't get onto the lexicon either, any tips on how to make it work?

I'm intrigued by the whole Lily and Snape being related thing, did anyone look up Perseus and could tell me what it meant?

Had about 8 pages to catch up on and appear to have forgotten everything I wanted to say along the way, oops, I'm gonna have to start keeping a notebook next to me at all times to make all the Harry Potter notes that come to mind at random times!

Roll on book 6, and I think they've signed the cast up to do GoF film, they've definately got a director anyway, wasn't there talk of doing the film in 2 parts, a la Kill Bill/Matrix etc?

ReputationRep:
    Just got off my ass and looked up the myth of Perseus, maybe a coincidence like the story of running weasle earlier, but it definately has parallels in the Harry Potter storys

The Myth of Perseus
    Perseus is the son of Zeus, the king of the Greek gods, and a mortal woman. The woman's husband, Polydectes, king of Seriphos, was naturally angry, but when your wife has an affair with a god, what can you do? So, instead, when Perseus grew up Polydectes sent him on what he believed was an impossible quest. The king sent his step-son out to kill Medusa, one of three sisters called the Gorgons who were so ugly, anyone who looked at them would turn to stone. He appealed to the gods for help and was given a mirrored shield by Athena, the goddess of wisdom, and a pair of winged sandals by Hermes (also know as Mercury), the messenger of the gods. Perseus flew using the sandals to find Medusa. When he found her, he did not look at her. Instead, he used the reflection in the shield to guide his sword so he could behead her as she slept. As she died, the white, winged horse Pegasus sprang from her neck.
    On his way back from his victory against the Gorgons, Perseus came across a woman chained to a rock, waiting to be sacrificed to a sea monster, called either Cetus or Draco, depending on which version of the myth you believe. This woman was Andromeda, the Princess. Her mother, Cassiopeia boasted that she and her daughter were more beautiful than the Nereids (or sea nymphs), which were the daughters of Poseidon (or Neptune), the god of the sea. Angered by the insult to his daughters, Poseidon sent floods to the lands ruled by Cassiopeia and her husband, King Cepheus. Cepheus consulted an oracle who told him that the only way to quell Poseidon's anger was to sacrifice his daughter.

Luckily, Perseus came on the scene just in the nick of time and killed the sea monster and saved the princess.

As a small side note, it is interesting that Cepheus shows up again in Greek mythology when he and 17 of his sons were killed by Hercules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I can't get onto the lexicon either, any tips on how to make it work?

I'm intrigued by the whole Lily and Snape being related thing, did anyone look up Perseus and could tell me what it meant?

Had about 8 pages to catch up on and appear to have forgotten everything I wanted to say along the way, oops, I'm gonna have to start keeping a notebook next to me at all times to make all the Harry Potter notes that come to mind at random times!

Roll on book 6, and I think they've signed the cast up to do GoF film, they've definately got a director anyway, wasn't there talk of doing the film in 2 parts, a la Kill Bill/Matrix etc?
    I was only kidding!!
    I know, I'm dissapointed!!!!! want to go to the site *folds arms angrily*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Ok, let me clarify the snape/lily connection here as I would understand it.

1. Mr. Evans meets Snape's Mom. Mr Evans is a Squib. Snape's mom is a Witch. They turn on a little Barry White and some bubbly one night, and Perseus Evans is born.

2. Mr. Evans is already married to or runs off with Lilly's mom (a muggle) and plays himself off as a muggle and has two daughters with her (exlplains how happy lilly's parents were with her being accepted to Hogwarts).

3. Perseus hates his dad because he's never around and mom and dad fight whenever he makes secret visits. So, early on, Perseus hates all muggles because they are the reason why he doesn't have a "normal" wizarding family. I doubt lilly knows about him, but he probably knows about lilly.

4. Anyhow, to distance himself from his "muggle" ties, he changes his name to Severus Snape (maybe snape is his mom's maiden name, so it's not that strange for him to use it). Because dad was a squib and mom a witch, he's a pureblood. Conversely, because lilly's dad's a squib (who plays himself off as a muggle) and mom's a muggle, she's a "mudblood".

5. My guess would be that Snape although he hated muggles (because his father left his mom for a muggle) probably joined the deatheaters for that reason. However, he caught wind that Voldie was going after his half-sister and her family, this is probably when he realized the error of his ways and turned spy for Dumbledore and the Order.

6. So, why did Dumbledore say that Harry's only living relatives were the Dursleys? Well, Petunia is the only Full Blood relative of Lilly alive. Perseus/Severus is only her half brother. The protection is probably strongest with Petunia.

7. Last point of possible proof that this is true. Remember how JKR said that a minor part of book two would offer clues to something significant in book six? Well, how about Tom Riddle and the anagram deal? That's minor, and perhaps (she may not even say that that's how he chose his name) but the anagram for Severus Snape being Perseus Evans could be it.

Lastly, I want to express that I'm pretty sure that he was already known as Severus by Hogwarts. My guess is that he was born evans but was changed very early on. I base this on his "nicknames" being plays on Severus. Snivellus, Snivelly, they are meant as a play on the name Severus.

Ok I'm done. Have at it!
    1. This would mean that Aunt Petunia could also be a squib.

2. I don't like the idea that Mr. Evans cheated on Lilly's mom.

3. I really don't like to think of Lilly's dad as an abuser. So, I would change this to Voldie is the man that is abusing his mother, by trying to make her join up with the baddies and Snape sees this. Maybe Mr. Evans doesn't know about Snape until Lilly is at hogwarts and Lilly doesn't find out about Snape until they are about to graduate.

4. If Snape's mom and Mr. Evans weren't married he would have his mother's maiden name.

5. He changes his ways when Lilly confronts him about being her half-brother and tells him that now he can be part of a real family.

6. This sound good. Also, Dumbledore probable wants to keep Snape's ties to Harry a secret from everyone (he's the only one that knows). Snape's double agent statis would be compromised if everyone knew.

7. Makes sense.

Wouldn't Snape just scare the pants off of Uncle Vernon and Dudley!

NOW, I am done! I like this theory, ALOT!

ReputationRep:
    I must be missing something- I dont see how that Perseus thing is parellel at all- all the talk about him being the neglected son is just from our ideas, not from the books- and we just saw his mother and father screaming, we dont know that his mother was so sweet either-

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/index-2.html

They go through EVERY name, place, comma, in every book and look up the whole history, possible theories, tracings into other stories,- once you are on it you could spend a year looking at anything- anyway, look in the "who's who" for the whole Severus Snape analogy- I think it fits alot better that the Perseus thing-

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that Voldie might like Bellatrix, but is he capable of loving someone? Could this be his downfall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I must be missing something- I dont see how that Perseus thing is parellel at all- all the talk about him being the neglected son is just from our ideas, not from the books- and we just saw his mother and father screaming, we dont know that his mother was so sweet either-

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/index-2.html

They go through EVERY name, place, comma, in every book and look up the whole history, possible theories, tracings into other stories,- once you are on it you could spend a year looking at anything- anyway, look in the "who's who" for the whole Severus Snape analogy- I think it fits alot better that the Perseus thing-
    Does it say in the book that the man screaming at the woman was Snapes father for sure? Just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    Does it say in the book that the man screaming at the woman was Snapes father for sure? Just wondering.
    no it doesn´t, but the man is described as hook-nosed and we know that that´s snape´s most prominent feature.
    the theory about snape being related to lily sounds a little too complicated to me......it could happen, but how would that be important to the plot? but that´s just me....i don´t want harry to be related to snape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)
    no it doesn´t, but the man is described as hook-nosed and we know that that´s snape´s most prominent feature.
    the theory about snape being related to lily sounds a little too complicated to me......it could happen, but how would that be important to the plot? but that´s just me....i don´t want harry to be related to snape.

I am reading the past post and am on page 41. I was wondering has anyone suggested yet that Snape may be related to James. A cousin or something. I know some relative don't like each other and with family fueds and things. Maybe that is why James and Snape didn't like each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    I am reading the past post and am on page 41. I was wondering has anyone suggested yet that Snape may be related to James. A cousin or something. I know some relative don't like each other and with family fueds and things. Maybe that is why James and Snape didn't like each other?
    i read most of the posts before i started posting and i dont think it´s been mentioned......but wouldn´t that be a surprise!!!
    i dont think that could happen though, i mean a lot of people dont like their relatives but to the point of torturing them and embarrasing in front of tons of people? umm.....

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to LOVE someone to have kids with them- look at Draco's parents- they dont seem to be capable of love-

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.