Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    You don't have to LOVE someone to have kids with them- look at Draco's parents- they dont seem to be capable of love-
    Was this an arranged marriage. I think I remember Sirius saying that in OOTP. And isn't that kind of thing out of date? I really can't think of Voldie as wanting to take the chance of having a child. I mean what if that child was stronger in someway than he is. It would kind of be like Voldie giving some of his power away and I don't think he would want to do that.

I don't know. He just seems too selfish.

By the way I really Love this thread. I am on page 48 of past posts. I wish I had found this earlier.

ReputationRep:
    If you are reading through past threads, helpful hint- change the setting on your membership to have the most posts per page you can- makes for faster reading

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished reading pages 47 and 48. The wand battle caught my attention and if no one minds I would like to express an opion.

I think they will use their originia wands. It's going to be literal battle of good vrs. evil. You know a kind of back and forth thing. Voldie's stream of light will be overtaking Harry's, then Harry's will over take Voldie's. I don't know if anyone has read anything by Katherine Kurtz (Chamber of Culdie) or Mercedes Lackey (Valdemar) but that is how they would use magic. And at the end Harry's wand stream (good) would touch the end of Voldie's wand stream (bad) and cause Voldie to disentagrate or something.

Sorry for going so far back in the thread and bringing this back up. I got a little excited.

ReputationRep:
    If you are reading through past threads, helpful hint- change the setting on your membership to have the most posts per page you can- makes for faster reading
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    I have just finished reading pages 47 and 48. The wand battle caught my attention and if no one minds I would like to express an opion.

I think they will use their originia wands. It's going to be literal battle of good vrs. evil. You know a kind of back and forth thing. Voldie's stream of light will be overtaking Harry's, then Harry's will over take Voldie's. I don't know if anyone has read anything by Katherine Kurtz (Chamber of Culdie) or Mercedes Lackey (Valdemar) but that is how they would use magic. And at the end Harry's wand stream (good) would touch the end of Voldie's wand stream (bad) and cause Voldie to disentagrate or something.

Sorry for going so far back in the thread and bringing this back up. I got a little excited.
    I think I've heard of this somewhere, but not with wands necessarily. But we have to remember that they don't just overtake each other's stream... they kind of cancel out, because of the reverse effect that each wand has on the other. Unless, of course, one could be stronger in someway, they probably just have to discover it.

ReputationRep:
    or one could throw a curse while the other isn't- they just can't work at the same time against each other, doesn't mean they can't work individually-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    It seems to me that Voldie might like Bellatrix, but is he capable of loving someone? Could this be his downfall?
    In what way does Voldie like Bellatrix? What is Bellatrix does go with Voldie? Aww... poor Lestrange :P

Well... if he becomes capable of loving someone... I don't think it'd be his downfall. Either he becomes equal as Harry (now that he knows about love), or he becomes good. The latter bit... well, maybe you could consider that as his downfall, but Voldemort becoming good because he knew love is too simple.

ReputationRep:
    or one could throw a curse while the other isn't- they just can't work at the same time against each other, doesn't mean they can't work individually-
    Aaah... good point, Brooklyn

And, just to add to that, one should do it as fast as he could before the other can reverse it.

ReputationRep:
    do any of you think harry is more powerful than voldie? i mean jk herself has said that harry is not that good of a wizard (in an intreview a long time ago), we know he´s not really good at lessons, he´s good at DADA, but he´s as good as ron in everything else.
    so what is it that makes him special? what does he have that others don´t? i know some of you are going to say that is the love thing, but i think there´s got to be some else.

ReputationRep:
    I think Harry's "thing" is DADA- I think he just doesn't quite realize it yet- when Hermione asked him to teach the class he was already planning lessons- kind of like Neville's is Herbology, everyone seems to have something, jsut some find theirs sooner and some much later- I'm not sure what Ron's is- maybe we'll find that out next-

ReputationRep:
    oh btw- was going through the lexicon- how do you think the foe glass works? Does it sense who has bad thoughts about you or just who is gunning for you at that moment or who WILL be your enemy? I wish Harry would look into it- it would be interesting to see who are his "enemies"- when the fake Moody had it, it showed McGonagal, Dumbledore and Snape- did it wait until they knew all about him or were they the "shadowy figures" from before?

ReputationRep:
    I think Harry's "thing" is DADA- I think he just doesn't quite realize it yet- when Hermione asked him to teach the class he was already planning lessons- kind of like Neville's is Herbology, everyone seems to have something, jsut some find theirs sooner and some much later- I'm not sure what Ron's is- maybe we'll find that out next-
    Actually, it makes sense that Harry's thing is DADA... Defense against the Dark Arts; Learning how to protect himself from Voldie, is a big plus, and learning how to fight him is another.

ReputationRep:
    I must be missing something- I dont see how that Perseus thing is parellel at all- all the talk about him being the neglected son is just from our ideas, not from the books- and we just saw his mother and father screaming, we dont know that his mother was so sweet either-

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/index-2.html

They go through EVERY name, place, comma, in every book and look up the whole history, possible theories, tracings into other stories,- once you are on it you could spend a year looking at anything- anyway, look in the "who's who" for the whole Severus Snape analogy- I think it fits alot better that the Perseus thing-

that was the site I was tlaking about!!!!Is realy good, isn't it????

I'm trying to kep up with you
    I still have to read a few more posts!!lol
    you do writte a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok I tryed, but I'm to lasy...I can't read all the posts...

The fact that snape would be lilys brother is strange...they are so diffrent...If they realy were then, I hope that snape's mother would be someone that mr.evans "loved" before mrs. evans.
    maybe mr.evans doesn't know that he had another son...that would explain better a few couplle of things...I think...

sorry to not read all the posts! I guess I have a lot more to say, but I got to go now!

ReputationRep:
    in the lexicon there is a time line...tells alot of things...it's realy intresting....have look!!!:P

*****kisses***

ReputationRep:
    I have read the lexicons timeline, but its kind of sketch, right? I dont know where they came up with half the ages, although they sound about right- and I know they dont usually engage in much speculation, just good solid research- but look at how much older Bill is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    Was this an arranged marriage. I think I remember Sirius saying that in OOTP. And isn't that kind of thing out of date? I really can't think of Voldie as wanting to take the chance of having a child. I mean what if that child was stronger in someway than he is. It would kind of be like Voldie giving some of his power away and I don't think he would want to do that.
    I reckon that Voldie, if he ever had a child would kill it, if he realised that he could be stronger than him. The child could turn to the good side and kill him. DADA is definitely Harry's thing. I reckon that even if he hadn't been attacked by Voldie, he could have become one of the best people to fight evil. Harry has had experience from fighting Voldie, but he is also extremely determined (the only one who could almost fight off the imperious 1st time). Harry has lots of qualities which make him a strong person. Also, he has always been a fighter. U'd have to be in order to live with the dursleys.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Harry becoming wicked powerful? By the next book he should be able to move beyond school magic- he can produce a Patronus without really trying now-

ReputationRep:
    <scratches head> all this about Harry Potter, what's all the fuss about? Not that I've read any of the books or have time to but they're just books! If you can tell me that any one Harry Potter book is better than any Roald Dahl book (no bias please!) then I will take your word for it and be silently convinced.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Harry becoming wicked powerful? By the next book he should be able to move beyond school magic- he can produce a Patronus without really trying now-
    By producing a patronus at his age, we already know that he is a more powerful wizard than most or many fully grown wizards. I hope that Dumbledore will give him advanced lessons in DADA or something, and it would be even better if Dumbledore taught Harry this himself. After all, Dumbledore matched Voldie when he fought him in book 5. I reckon that Harry could become a more powerful wizard than both Dumbledore and Voldie.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.