Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    True...he was the perfec stundent, and that's why nobody suspected of him until he "bethraid" hagrid, with the chamber of the secrets!

I think we are going to hear more about Mrs. Figg in the first part of the next book. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry spends more time with her and gets some information about his parents and what was going on before they died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Wow- every time I leave for hte weekend there is tons of stuff to catch up on, but what a wild time on the forum!

HP Haters- perhaps you should get some sort of hobby other than bashing other people's interests- or are you really that uninteresting a person?

Nobody do that entering thing again- it was horrible-

I dont think Harry's power COMES from his wand- I htink its just a tool to help out- like a cauldron- I htink the wands were made at the same time, cause I dont see Fawkes letting someone pluck his bottom twice-

If the tail feathers were taken at the same time, this makes me think that someone knew that it was going to be needed even before Tom Riddle got his wand.

love isn't happiness- sorry- Harry loves his parents but he's not exactly ecstatic when he thinks about him is he? You don't stop loving when you get sad- that why I think the love Patronus spell thing would be much more powerful than the happiness one- its harder to make, but isn't distracted by anything- and instead of relying on the manipulation of memories, it would come out of your 'self'
    If thinking of something that makes you happy can produce a patronas (sp) what could a feeling of love produce? I think that thinking of someone that you love or having a feeling of love would have a stronger effect than having a happy thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    If thinking of something that makes you happy can produce a patronas (sp) what could a feeling of love produce? I think that thinking of someone that you love or having a feeling of love would have a stronger effect than having a happy thought.
    well your most happy thoughts come from love-do they not? for example, my mom told me her happiest memory was when she had me and the nurse put me in her arms.......she said her love for me was so strong at that moment. so that memory has a lot to do with love right? and if you look at the memory harry has produced a patronus by, it has something to do with love. when he saw his father, he thought he was alive in book 3 remember? thats not just a happy memory and sense dementors suck hapiness up, it wouldn't make sense to fight them with hapiness.......it would have to be something stronger that doesn't go away when you are sad, which would be love. and in book 5 at the beginning he doesn't fight the dementors off with a "memory" he fights them off with the thought that he would never see ron and hermione again.........thats not exactly "happy" is it? no thats love......so therefore, i think there is no such thing as a love patronus, i think the patronus charm IS the love one every1 is talking about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    AAAAAH!!!! Me too!!! :mad:

Me "3"!!!lol- me and the avatar don't work out!lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    well your most happy thoughts come from love-do they not? for example, my mom told me her happiest memory was when she had me and the nurse put me in her arms.......she said her love for me was so strong at that moment. so that memory has a lot to do with love right? and if you look at the memory harry has produced a patronus by, it has something to do with love. when he saw his father, he thought he was alive in book 3 remember? thats not just a happy memory and sense dementors suck hapiness up, it wouldn't make sense to fight them with hapiness.......it would have to be something stronger that doesn't go away when you are sad, which would be love. and in book 5 at the beginning he doesn't fight the dementors off with a "memory" he fights them off with the thought that he would never see ron and hermione again.........thats not exactly "happy" is it? no thats love......so therefore, i think there is no such thing as a love patronus, i think the patronus charm IS the love one every1 is talking about!

Hey!!!
    Dementores represent evilness, that's why they take all the happy thoughts you may have. Love is like the "enimy" of evil...so it would be possible to a love patronus to exist!

ReputationRep:

I understand what you mean, that is the ultimate feeling of love. But what I am getting at is that there are different degrees of love. You love different people in a different way. Love for a child is a different love for a spouse and is even different for a friend. A parent loves their child to the point that they would give up their own life in order to protect that child without even thinking about it. Where I personally would think (and I hate to admit this about myself) twice before I did that for a friend (I would hope that I would put them before myself, but I have never been in that position).

So maybe it's not charm itself but the degree of love you are feeling that would make the charm more or less effective. I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    Hey!!!
    Dementores represent evilness, that's why they take all the happy thoughts you may have. Love is like the "enimy" of evil...so it would be possible to a love patronus to exist!
    yes, check your grammer the to should be for! yes, that is wut i said: thank you for paraphraising my post for me! what I am saying is that a love patronus does exist, but that its the same one harry has been using the whole time....think about your happiest memory, and you will realize the reason you were so happy was because you were "in" love with something......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcoverst)
    I understand what you mean, that is the ultimate feeling of love. But what I am getting at is that there are different degrees of love. You love different people in a different way. Love for a child is a different love for a spouse and is even different for a friend. A parent loves their child to the point that they would give up their own life in order to protect that child without even thinking about it. Where I personally would think (and I hate to admit this about myself) twice before I did that for a friend (I would hope that I would put them before myself, but I have never been in that position).

So maybe it's not charm itself but the degree of love you are feeling that would make the charm more or less effective. I don't know.

True...there are many ways of loving someone...but my guess is Harry would save anyone, he would give his life for any personne, because he would probably would feel responsable...like in minestry with sirius!!

ReputationRep:
    yes, check your grammer the to should be for! yes, that is wut i said: thank you for paraphraising my post for me! what I am saying is that a love patronus does exist, but that its the same one harry has been using the whole time....think about your happiest memory, and you will realize the reason you were so happy was because you were "in" love with something......

yep! I agree1
    I'm sorry about the writting...I'm not that good writting!:Plol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The wand chooses the owner. I think that the wand sensed the power within Harry, and therefore chose him. Riddle's wand must have sensed the same amount of power in him when it chose Riddle. It's the wand that chooses the owner, not the owner chosing the wand. Harry was powerful before he got the wand, and the wand alllows him to bring that power out.
    Well, yeah the wand chooses the owner. But it could probably be that the wand, being a special wand... with only two of its kind, would create an effect on the wizard who uses it. Like maybe give him extra skills on something.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah the wand chooses the owner. But it could probably be that the wand, being a special wand... with only two of its kind, would create an effect on the wizard who uses it. Like maybe give him extra skills on something.
    i agree with xenon, a wand is only the channeler of power, and the wizard the source, thats why the wand choses the wizard, get the wrong wand and it will make everything you do ;wrong

kikas its ok bout the writing: its just sometimes when people disagree, i pick out tiny things to get back at them for, dont worrie, it was i who was out of line!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    True...there are many ways of loving someone...but my guess is Harry would save anyone, he would give his life for any personne, because he would probably would feel responsable...like in minestry with sirius!!
    Not anyone, maybe. Those who are really close to him. You think he'd give up his life for a stranger? Even the chances of Harry saving Malfoy is small... but he probably will, you know.. to show Malfoy that they should not really be fighting or something. The saving thing would probably depend on the circumstance.

Love... well, yes. there are different types of love. Parental, puppy, true love... etc. But there are times where love becomes unhappy. That saying about if your lovie is happy then you should be too... it can't be true all the time. But this would probably be conditional love.

Ooookay... too much on love. Sappy

ReputationRep:
    i agree with xenon, a wand is only the channeler of power, and the wizard the source, thats why the wand choses the wizard, get the wrong wand and it will make everything you do ;wrong

kikas its ok bout the writing: its just sometimes when people disagree, i pick out tiny things to get back at them for, dont worrie, it was i who was out of line!
    ok. I sit (coz i'm sitting right now) corrected. LoL. Wouldn't it be crazy if Ollivander wasn't there to assist those buying wands? they'd just pick out what looks and feels good... then kaboom! Explosion and havoc everywhere!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not anyone, maybe. Those who are really close to him. You think he'd give up his life for a stranger? Even the chances of Harry saving Malfoy is small... but he probably will, you know.. to show Malfoy that they should not really be fighting or something. The saving thing would probably depend on the circumstance.

Love... well, yes. there are different types of love. Parental, puppy, true love... etc. But there are times where love becomes unhappy. That saying about if your lovie is happy then you should be too... it can't be true all the time. But this would probably be conditional love.

Ooookay... too much on love. Sappy
    what im saying is wut harry is thinking about when he performs the patronus hes not always happy: think about book 5 chapter one, he performs the patronus by thinking of ron and herm and thinking he was never going to see them again! not exactly happy is that?

ReputationRep:
    what im saying is wut harry is thinking about when he performs the patronus hes not always happy: think about book 5 chapter one, he performs the patronus by thinking of ron and herm and thinking he was never going to see them again! not exactly happy is that?
    Yep. Not exactly happy, but in a way, the happy thought is Ron and Herm themselves. Just thinking about them gives Harry the strength or the power to produce a patronus. It drove Harry... gave him a reason to fight and all.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Not exactly happy, but in a way, the happy thought is Ron and Herm themselves. Just thinking about them gives Harry the strength or the power to produce a patronus. It drove Harry... gave him a reason to fight and all.
    yes, but it says he wasn't thinking ABOUT them he was thinking about NEVER SEEING them, that my friend, is love!

ReputationRep:
    yes, but it says he wasn't thinking ABOUT them he was thinking about NEVER SEEING them, that my friend, is love!
    same difference. i was supposed to make it mean that way. he still thought of them. And that never seeing them, that did drive harry to fight for his life instead of just allowing the baddies to take him, coz he wouldn't bare not seeing them... oh well, yeah. True. that is love. It's like with people who have had a near-death experience. They say they don't want to cross the border line because they had many loved ones that they're going to leave behind, and they can't stand the fact that they won't see them anymore. oh well... just sharing that bit.

ReputationRep:

looool! And it showes how much harry need's then...they are the two best friends he ever had, he would give anu thiong for them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikas)
    looool! And it showes how much harry need's then...they are the two best friends he ever had, he would give anu thiong for them!
    ok this time im not being picky:since you are not a native english speaker ur prolly not REALLY sure when you make a mistake but the anu thiong should be ANYTHING! and im very happy you agreed with me

ReputationRep:
    If you get the wrong wand it doesn't explode on you- People are always using each others wands- Ron used his brothers, Neville used his fathers, Crouch Jr. used Harry's, Neville used Hermione's, on and on- it just doesn't give you the BEST results- I think the little explosion if you touch the wrong one only works in the store- maybe for a wand that hasn't chosen a wizard yet- I wonder if they recycle wands....

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.