Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How about James Potter and the Greasy Haired Kid? James Potter and the Mysterious Shrieking Shack? James Potter and the Animagi? I could go on-

Just found out my bosses wife is really in HP! She stayed up to get the last two and wore Harry Potter glasses to the bookstore! Shes 44! Just goes to show you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    How about James Potter and the Greasy Haired Kid? James Potter and the Mysterious Shrieking Shack? James Potter and the Animagi? I could go on-

Just found out my bosses wife is really in HP! She stayed up to get the last two and wore Harry Potter glasses to the bookstore! Shes 44! Just goes to show you
    could you explain the second paragraph in simpler words please.

The books names are quite good and then you get a series of Lilly potter and then gradually it changes to a JAme and Lilly series

ReputationRep:
    according to one interview- she thought she had made the name up altogether- brought it out of nowhere- then a friend of hers reminded her that a year before, they had visited a lily garden, where one of the lilies was named "Hogwarts"- not a mistake really- just something that alot of people thought had all this hidden meaning before

Oh, not nearly as juicy or exciting as I had hoped, ho hum. Thanks anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry- not juicy at all! But mistakes rarely are- its the stuff she put in on purpose thats kind of intriguing- like she knew Dumbledore meant bumblebee- she said he really likes music so she imagines he is always humming to himself! Hence the bee- I thought that was interesting Another thing that wasn't confirmed is that she named Harry after the writer Henry James (Harry James) but that could just be a guess

Sorry about the confusingness of the other paragraph- just explaining that even though people always say this is a "children's" or "young adult" book, people of all ages like it- My boss's wife is 44 years old and LOVES Harry Potter- in fact, she loves the books so much, she had him wake her up at the last two book releases (book 4 and 5) and put on a pair of "Harry Potter" glasses (the big black round ones you can buy in the store) and elbowed kids to get her copy right at midnight! I thought that was pretty cook for someone her age-

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that wasn't confirmed is that she named Harry after the writer Henry James (Harry James) but that could just be a guess
    JK said that harry is her favorite boy name.....she would have named her kid harry but she had a girl so she ended up using the name for the book.

Do any of you know if there are other girls in gryffindor in harry´s class? because the only ones mentioned in the books are Lavender Parvati and Hermione.......i think jk said in an interview that hogwarts had about 1000 students, if that´s true, wouldn´t there be more girls in Harry´s year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)
    JK said that harry is her favorite boy name.....she would have named her kid harry but she had a girl so she ended up using the name for the book.

Do any of you know if there are other girls in gryffindor in harry´s class? because the only ones mentioned in the books are Lavender Parvati and Hermione.......i think jk said in an interview that hogwarts had about 1000 students, if that´s true, wouldn´t there be more girls in Harry´s year?
    Y can't HP fook orf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello is cartel land

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    Y can't HP fook orf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello is cartel land
    cause he is only a kid? Who loses his wand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    cause he is only a kid? Who loses his wand.
    Did u guys know Nick Flamel was a real alchemist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    aaack!!! so much to catch up on!

btw, PadFoot, yes Nick Flames was in fact a real alchemist and did invent or tried to invent the Philosopher's Stone (that's what it is originally called). Studied it in Chemistry when I was in my 3rd year in High school

ReputationRep:
    LOL

James Potter and the Green Eyed, Red Haired Bombshell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)

I'm sure there must be more girls, but of course it's going to be hard for JK to mention them all in the book... that would probably mean that she has to keep on mentioning them, you know? Based on my calculations (oh, i really did try to compute ), there must be more or less 36 students per year per house.

(Original post by PadFoot90)
    was he really

ReputationRep:
    sorry. The one above is my post i forgot to login.

Was nicholas flamel really a real alchemist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golz)
    sorry. The one above is my post i forgot to login.

Was nicholas flamel really a real alchemist
    yes he is and did try or really did invent the philosopher's stone

Harry Potter is a great a book and althought ill be sad read hes died i think this is the most likely thing that will happen. This is because J K Rowling has hinted that this will happen in the interview before the The Order of The Phoenix came out. After the death of his godparent, Sirius Black I think he felt angry at Dumbledore. He may disobey him and therefore get himself into a great deal of trouble which Dumbledore cant save him. I think that the end of book seven there will be a gert big fight between Harry and Voldemort. I also think that Hermoine and Ron will get it together but she will cheat on him with Harry.

ReputationRep:
    Nicholas Flamel is really an interesting story- he really did marry Perenelle- and supposedly he really did invent the stone and live forever- only evidence being of course that when they dug up his coffin to check a long time after he "died"- it was empty- Google it- its a good read-

somewhere (thought it was here, but I could be wrong) someone proved there were more girls- I htink it was the scene where Lupin has them each face the Bogart- there are spaces where it says "next it was a.... and next it was a.... and the numbers add up to more than the known Gryffindors, and there aren't any people from other houses there, so they would have to be Gryffindor girls-

ReputationRep:
    somewhere (thought it was here, but I could be wrong) someone proved there were more girls- I htink it was the scene where Lupin has them each face the Bogart- there are spaces where it says "next it was a.... and next it was a.... and the numbers add up to more than the known Gryffindors, and there aren't any people from other houses there, so they would have to be Gryffindor girls-

Nicholas Flamel is really an interesting story- he really did marry Perenelle- and supposedly he really did invent the stone and live forever- only evidence being of course that when they dug up his coffin to check a long time after he "died"- it was empty- Google it- its a good read-

ReputationRep:
    sorry- didn't mean to double post!

ReputationRep:
    Well from Griffidor we know there is Hermione, Lavander and Patty Patil-those are the ones we have 'met' as it were...One would assume there would be more but it's odd we haven't met any of them. There are only 5 boys from Harry's year- so if we assumed there were 5 to each gender for each house per year, and there's seven years, that's still only 280 odd students- not very many!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is wierd. We do know there are a lot of gryffindor students but they havent mentioned their names

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.